It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nomura's jellyfish sink 10-tonne trawler

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Nomura's jellyfish sink 10-tonne trawler

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

GIANT jellyfish have sunk a 10-tonne trawler in Japan.

The Nomura's jellyfish can weigh up to 200kg each and have recently begun to swarm in the waters off the coast of China.

Unfortunately for the three-man crew of the Diasan Shinsho-maru, their net dragged through such a swarm, capturing dozens of the jellyfish, which can grow up to two metres in diameter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
While not the horror movie style sinking one first imagines it's yet another incident of these massive jellyfish swarming off Japan. I can't help but wonder how the changing of the fisheries through top level predator over fishing will change the dynamics of jellyfish and squid.

I hope monsters like these don't become to regular a sight in the coming decades O.o.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Very interesting...

With the over fishing of the oceans somthing is going to fill the niche.

"According to Claudia Mills of the University of Washington, the increasing frequency of jellyfish blooms globally might be attributed to humans' impact on marine systems. She says that in some locations jellyfish may be filling ecological niches formerly occupied by overfished creatures, but notes that we lack the data to show that is indeed true"

Jelly Fish Blooms (wikipedia)

Thanks for the interesting thread

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Said the whale to the jellyfish: "there little yellow people are eating my family!"

said the jellyfish to the whale: "we'll fix it..."

ha!!! Revenge!

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Holy crap, remind me not to go to China anytime soon.

top topics

join