It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 40 Dead in Disputed US Attack in Iraq

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
why is firing guns up in the air so surprising at celebrations?

I can vouch for being a bystander on several different New Year's Eve celebration right in Brooklyn, NY where shots were fired up in the air. I also attended family (my relatives) weddings in Jamaica, Guyana and Trinidad where shots were fired in the air.

Every year, Florida police has to issue public warnings advising people not to shoot guns up in the air on 4th of July weekend and New Year's Eve. And it's not just in the ghettos, even rednecks like shooting off when celebrating.

it is a common practice in many parts of the world. Communication failed somewhere along the line in that incident.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
"Our report is that this was not a wedding party, that these were anti-coalition forces that fired first, and that U.S. troops returned fire, destroying several vehicles, and killing a number of them," a Pentagon spokesman said."

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It would appear that all the facts may not yet be in...

According to the Pentagon this was not a wedding party but anti-coalition forces. Coalition forces recovered numerous weapons, 2million iraqi and syrian diinar, foreign passports and a satcom radio.

Doesn't sound like your average wedding?www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
hmmm now that explains the children how?
"The video showed at least a dozen bodies, including small children, wrapped in blankets for burial as they were unloaded from a truck."

the US didn't take accountability for the Afghani wedding disaster they won't do it now.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BleysCoalition forces recovered numerous weapons, 2million iraqi and syrian diinar, foreign passports and a satcom radio.

The weapons could have been the guns they were firing in the air to celebrate.
The money could be wedding gifts / dowry.
Passports could be persons from Syria who attended the wedding.
Don't know about the radio.

You're right though, we still need to wait for more information.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
hmmm now that explains the children how?

We shouldn't be drawing any conclusions yet. Could be the US attacked the wrong village? Could just as easily be that insurgents don't mind putting their own families at risk.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
As tragic as this reads, this smells.
A 2:45am wedding....nada', not buying it, BS meter is pegged.
Ran across this Reuters report that says:

The U.S. planes dropped more than 100 bombs on us

Over 40 dead in U.S. Iraq raid-TV
Riigghhttt, 100 bombs?

As you can notice in the Reuters article, they mysteriously leave the time of the so-called wedding out, it taking place in a remote desert area, but happened in a town bordering the Syrian border....interesting.

Has there been a CENTCOM report released yet?
Link to the video?

seekerof

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
We are bad people. It sickens me how we said we were the righteous ones, how we were good and Saddam was bad. Yet look at what we are doing...killing tons of innocent people...raping their women...treating them like some sort of animal. I dont care what some person did, in the prison pictures no human being deserved to be treated like that.
Doesnt sound much different when Saddam was ruling, does it?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
i just read the initial and as the rest of the story is uncomfirmed at present and is just hearsay i will go on the basis of the attack on a wedding.

think about if you was in the chopper , you are flying over the outskirts of town and there is a war on.

in your night view thermal imager you see a group of warm spots , this group of warm spots start shooting into the air.

what would you do ?

1. would you turn away ?
2. would you take the risk of a lucky shot maybe hitting yourself or the crew and get closer and see if you can make out it isnt a cellebration of some kind (like your expecting to have people who shoot guns just having a wedding)
3. would you retaliate?

now im not an expert , i do not know the options they had , i dont know the exect viewpoint they had , but given the known cirumstances of the released information, i think i would have done the exact same

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Seems that their are conflicting reports being issued, by numerous sources.
CNN has this:

"During the operation, coalition forces came under hostile fire and close air support was provided.

"Coalition forces on the ground recovered numerous weapons, 2 million Iraqi and Syrian dinar, foreign passports and a satcom radio," the statement said.

Asked if the incident was the same one described on videotape, he said, "Yes, it is the same incident."

He added, "We had actionable intelligence to go after a foreign fighters' safe house. It is not our belief that there was a wedding party in the open desert."

Pentagon says it attacked fighters -- not wedding

seekerof

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
this is the AP headline, seems that it always comes down to difference of opinions between Iraqi Officials and USA Officials.

U.S. Helicopter Fires on Wedding Party, Kills More Than 40 People, Iraq Officials Say

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Efforts to explain a bunch of weapons, huge quantities of money, a satellite communications radio, and other things as a things obviously used in a wedding will set a wonderful precedent. Thanks for providing the means for terrorists to excuse themselves from any future raids.

"Sir, what is that stick of dynamite?"
"A birthday candle."
"How about the blueprints of the US Embassy?"
"No, no, it's abstract art."
"Explain the sarin?"
"Research!"

Yeah, we know... it was a wedding. A particularly heavy metal wedding. And they were using the satcom equipment to multicast it over to friends and neighbors. Thanks!

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I believe that the firing of guns at celebrations was banned by Saddam as too many people were being killed by the bullets when they fell to Earth. It's certainly banned in Kuwait and there have been many documented fatality cases.

Not only that, but there have been incidents elsewhere of aircraft being downed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Another question has to be asked. Just because this was a wedding party, does this mean that no shots were directed at the US aircraft? I would guess that at that time of the morning some of the people firing into the air would have had a lot to drink. And wouldn't a US aircraft make a tempting target? By most people's admission, the US isn't exactly the most popular force in Iraq.

If you're an Iraqi, out with a few beers and a gun in your hand, might you be tempted?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Think again a good point is made 2 AM and its a Wedding? Children up at 2AM?. And we are to believe that the pictures of Dead Kids are true, Sounds like propaganda to me. to add on to an already mounting dislike and to recruit more Insurgents.

Hmmm Its a wedding and no cameras or video camera around but they have pictures after wards.

Sounds like BS, look at the fact people, dont jump to conculsions. I do not like bush but this doesnt add up at all. Sounds like Propaganda

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I've never been to an Iraqi wedding, so I may be wrong, but it is my guess that they don't do the white dress and black tuxedo thing. So I will forgive my military if they were not able to distinguish a bride and groom and wedding party at 2:45 in the morning.

The US is saying that it was a safehouse full of money, passports and sattelite equipment. The only people saying it was a wedding are the local eyewitnesses, who just lost 40 people, and may very well say anything to put the blame on the US.

Again, I'm pretty sure that the goal of the US military is not to take out wedding parties, and the fact that an on the ground investigation took place before hand leads me to believe that that investigation turned up more than a wedding party.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Think again a good point is made 2 AM and its a Wedding? Children up at 2AM?. And we are to believe that the pictures of Dead Kids are true, Sounds like propaganda to me. to add on to an already mounting dislike and to recruit more Insurgents.

Hmmm Its a wedding and no cameras or video camera around but they have pictures after wards.

Sounds like BS, look at the fact people, dont jump to conculsions. I do not like bush but this doesnt add up at all. Sounds like Propaganda

Ah yes....Very good points there ShiftTrio! Ok, so let's clear up the questions here.

1.) There is confirmation of the Radio, weapons, money, etc. by both sides reporting this, or just the Militarys Investigation Side of it? (Making sure it's not planted or made up afterward to save face.)

2.) Kids up at 3am. Weird yes, but possible, do we have approx. ages? Atleast difference between little kids and early teens?

3.) Could some of these bodies have come from the structures that were destroyed in the attack, not from the Drunken Adult Party Section?

4.) How many were supposed Enemy Targets vs. Civilian Iraqi Wedding Party?

The 100 bomb thing has to be B.S. It may have seemed like that many, but I doubt it. There wouldn't be bodies, just Dust in the Wind after carpet bombing a crowd of people. Also, 100 bombs would require a pretty heavy Air Assault.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
THE SUPER COBRA STRIKES AGAIN!! WAS THIS A USMC AIRCRAFT? I HOPE SO, THEY RULE. IF IT WAS, YOU CAN BET THEY WERE JUSTIFIED. RECON GETS IT DONE!......OORAH!!

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bign
THE SUPER COBRA STRIKES AGAIN!! WAS THIS A USMC AIRCRAFT? I HOPE SO, THEY RULE. IF IT WAS, YOU CAN BET THEY WERE JUSTIFIED. RECON GETS IT DONE!......OORAH!!

It's nice to see that people are trying to stay objective about this whole issue.

G.I. BIGN, Put the flag down, take of the camo pants and boots & unload the firearms for now.

Now, just relax, ignore the flashbacks the delusions of being back in the Gook Village and try to extract the Real Story from what is being reported here.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I see many laughing and joking about this. Come on, where is the humanity? Adults are sad enough to have died, but the innocent kids are the true victims. I would guess that the ones that are laughing have never really seen a person get their head blown off or bosy ripped in two with machine gun fire etc. If you have and you still laugh, then you must not be human. This is terrible for both sides...not just Iraqis and not just the Americans. Both are just trigger happy and want to kill each other...... Everyone in their happy little homes could not imagine what is really happening..... This is not a movie folks... this is real.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
well said JC well said
no one could of put that across better
but we cannot change the past so let us not dwell on it
we live in the present so let us make the choices for the future so this wont happen again

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join