It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Technology: Vision of the Future: Custom Corneas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I just read about this... It was so cool that I had to share it with everyone here at ATS. I wish they had this when I was a kid and was forced to wear glasses. I did get a lasik treatment a few years ago... but, not maybe I should have waited for this technology to break.

NASA technology that allows the Hubble telescope to focus on distant stars now offers LASIK eye surgery patients customized options for fine-tuned night vision, superior image contrast and sight even beyond 20/20. Approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2001, wavefront technology is the newest LASIK innovation that ophthalmologists are using not only to correct eyesight, but also to peer into the physical structure of patients' eyes and locate the exact sources of their vision problems. "We already tailor eyesight to patient goals," says Dr. Bradley Randleman, associate professor of Ophthalmology at Emory Eye Center in Atlanta. "We're getting more and more advanced with tailoring our laser treatment to the specific aberrations in the pattern of the cornea so we can best maximize the quality of vision." Since wavefront imaging can diagnose more subtle corneal imperfections, the technology has also expanded the LASIK treatment zone beyond myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism. Patients with more complex vision problems, such as irregular astigmatism or complications from past refractive surgeries, are now viable candidates.

Source

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
So this is like "Chronicles of Riddick" Vin Diesel eyes?

".... then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs. "

Sounds "kool" where do I sign up?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

I was thinking about the exact same thing... I wouldn't mind a shine job myself!

Maybe there might be some military applications with this as well. All snipers and infantry could use this to have an advantage over the enemy at night, etc...

new topics

join