It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oriental angel sparks china race row/netizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
is it me or has everyone else heard of the word netizen, people from the net community! (internet users)??

just wondered and while im at it

Black 'Oriental Angel' Sparks China Race Row

news.sky.com... 9098?lpos=World_News_News_Your_Way_Region_5&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15429098_Lou_Jing%3A_Oriental_Angel_Sparks_China_Talent_Show_Race_Row_Over_African _American_Father

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Your link does not work... which leaves your thread seeming a little bare.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
news.sky.com...

[edit on 2-11-2009 by meremortal]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by meremortal

Wow, that's a long URL. Here is the correct link.

And yes, "netizen" was coined by a book in 1995. So far as I know the term never become popular amongst people who actually used the internet.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Chinese Mother + African-American Father = Social Pariah/Outcast in China.

This is nothing new, and is not limited to the Chinese. Many Asian cultures are very racist. The article could have read Japan instead of China without any other change.

It is a good thing that Lou Jing is getting so much attention. She is opening the door on a subject that is long overdue for China to face.

However, there is a part of me that wonders how much of this is also Propaganda. For the fact that the article stated:

"In the same year that Americans welcome Obama to the White House, we can't even accept this girl with a different skin colour."

It makes it apparent that this is not just a racially charged issue, but is being made out to be a Politically charged issue. As Obama is heading to China in a month, it makes one wonder the timing of this news. It seems that this an an attempt to show that China is not yet ready for Globalisation, unlike the "open-minded" United States that has moved beyond Racism to vote a multi-racial man to the position of POTUS.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
thank you!

i couldn't of said it better myself! sorry about the link

yes more than likely progaganda but the attention to racism is a good thing..

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
it brings to mind an old irish saying, "you never need to take a gob#e with you when you travel, you'll always meet one when you arrive". every culture has an element that believes themselves to be superior. china has a lot of people in it and that means there's a lot of racists by default.

top topics

join