It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't Macabees in the KJV?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'd like to read this chapter but it's not in this version.

Someone help me out here!

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There were many books that used to be in the King James Version that were taken out because of pressure from the Puritans. In 1827 the American and British Bible Societies took a definite stand against them and now have nearly disappeared.
These books were in the Greek Septuagint, which Christ quoted from...and yet 1500 years later men thought that because they weren't in the Hebrew bible then they shouldn't be in ours. The Maccabees are wonderful books, and I heard that Mel Gibson may be going to make a movie about this family of brave men.
The others that were taken out were:
The 1st book of Esdras (Ezra)
The 2nd book of Esdras (Ezra)
The book of Tobit
The book of Judith
The Additions of the book of Esther
The Wisdom of Soloman
The Wisdom of Sirach
The book of Baruch
The Story of Susanna
The Song of the Three Children
The Story of Bel and the Dragon
The Prayer of Manasseh
The 1st book of the Maccabees
The 2nd book of the Maccabees

You can get a book called, The Apocrypha with all of these books in it at www.capstonebooks.com

There are other books that never even made it into the bible that Jesus and Jude quotes from or is referred to by the prophets, The Book of Enoch, Jashar, and Jubilees.
All excellent books. Enoch was omitted because they said since they already had an apocyliptical book (Revelations), they didn't need to put another one in, so Enoch got the axe. There is alot of information that you get in Enoch and Esdras that is not in other books of the Bible. I believe that Capstone Books carries all of these books.

new topics

join