It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African desert rift confirmed as new ocean in the making!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Yep, I reported this back in 2007, as Muaddib, but it had occurred in 2005.

The fissure opened up in Ethiopia within three weeks after a large earthquake

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is part of the story from MSNBC, before it became Obama's channel.

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Ethiopian, American and European researchers have observed a fissure in a desert in the remote northeast that could be the "birth of a new ocean basin," scientists said Friday.

Researchers from Britain, France, Italy and the United States have been observing the 37-mile-long (60-kilometer-long) fissure since it split open in September in the Afar desert and estimate it will take a million years to fully form into an ocean, said Dereje Ayalew, who leads the team of 18 scientists studying the phenomenon.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

You can also see a photo of the fissure better in the above link.

You can also see a line of people close to one of the edges, on the left side, and with that you can compare the size of the hole, which is huge.

BTW, supposedly it will take millions of years for this to become part of the ocean.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pappa_Bear
my question to the resident knowledgeable folks: Once the rift gets to mean sea level, or opens into a fresh water reservoir and begins filling up with water: how much will that change the dynamics of the rift increasing and/or pushing the tectonic plates apart?

How does the pressures on the crust change with the additional weight of water on top of accrued sediment?

I remembered reading a thread on here last spring about the Three Gorges Dam in China. I found the one I was looking for (www.abovetopsecret.com...) and these links.

topics.nytimes.com...
and
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Just some food for thought.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

But I'm pretty sure it's a few million years away yet, but I still find it interesting!

It sure is interesting, and in geological terms a few million years isn't even a great deal of time. Over the past 4 billion years there's been many seas, many continents, whose plates have all moved around the earth many many times like a conveyor belt melting and reforming the surfaces and forming new seas at the lower heights. It's fascinating to think of all the processes the earth has been thru' to get where it is now, and the paths it's likely heading.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

But I'm pretty sure it's a few million years away yet, but I still find it interesting!

It sure is interesting, and in geological terms a few million years isn't even a great deal of time. Over the past 4 billion years there's been many seas, many continents, whose plates have all moved around the earth many many times like a conveyor belt melting and reforming the surfaces and forming new seas at the lower heights. It's fascinating to think of all the processes the earth has been thru' to get where it is now, and the paths it's likely heading.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I would think that the part of Africa which is breaking away from the continent would only displace water. That as the large land mass moved away from the continent, and water filled the newly formed fissure the plate that was moving out into the Indian ocean would displace the water as it moved, and that the water would flow around the moving land mass/tectonic plate.

If this fissure opened up so quickly, who knows, it may be possible that the moving plate could separate rather quickly, over a few thousand years, or a few hundred, or maybe even much more quickly.

In addition, the Earth is constantly pulling mass out of space, which gets trapped in the Earths gravity field. From what I have read, a great deal of matter is absorbed by the Earth from space on a constant basis.

Great thread, thanks op.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
The expanding Earth theory is absolutely impossible. I am a student of Geology and am gifted in the science of Geology. There is no way the Earth is expanding save only for the acreted material from outterspace objects entering the atmosphere. Matter does not grow only transforms and there is way too much tectonic proof to boot. How would one go about explaining subducton zone volcanic activity with out any subduction. Believe what you want but the truth is tectonics and volcanism are real.

How can expanding Earth explain mountain building and mountains that were built from acient collisions of plates that have seperated again like the Appalachian Mountain range that was created when the plates came together and collided so long ago that erosion has worn down the chain of left over mountains to the status of overgrown hills. Learn some real Geology dudes if you want to talk Geology here because you are only looking pathetic in my eyes because I do know for sure, you are wrong.

For the other scientists here who have had bad experiences with other narrow minded Creationists, I am a Creationist but I believe the seven days of Creation were vast in scale of space-time. I do not overlook or ignore data and evidence. I also have new theories to present to the world of science and volcanology. Geochemical Volcanology is my major and I can't wait to get to work in the field.

Now concerning the rift, I would love to visit this place during my career and especially the volcanoes associated with this rift. I am thinking I would visit Ol Doinyo Lengai first because it is the only volcano on the planet who is currently erupting carbonatite lavas which are very curious find for a volcanologist like me. The rift could eventually steal Egypts water and turn Egypt into a wasteland. It is such a small slice of the continent though so I don't see a new ocean forming but more like a sea similar to the Mediterranian Sea really would more likely be the product.

On the Africa issue with the new rifting, I say that this will be good for Africa on the water issues. This will place a large body of water in the desert any idiot knows what this means. Ethiopia may just finally become an oasis after so long as a desert. I also know this region is rich in gold and other minerals and the resources may become more easily available with the introduction of water into the interior region.

Believe it or not folks rifting once started in the American continent but stopped before much actually showed. There is quite possibly a chance that the USA could rift like that as well. I think these processes when started and stopped for long periods of time may really still be in the process of rifting. I believe there is a good reason there is an occasional quake in the midwest USA and I also believe we will see more earthquake activity in that region which really has no reason for earthquakes other than a heat source breaking rock down there.

I also believe that fast plate tectonics are possible today if all of the boundaries of the plates become engrossed with volcanism because hotter things flow much faster than solid things. Kind of funny that the whole ring of fire is lighting up more and more as the months go by. Lots of really big eqrthquakes being recorded these days.

Expanding Earth guys, well that idea is most laughable and lacks insight and logic.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by Angel One]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
This is the first I have seen of this. It will take so many years that we will never see what it becomes, but very interesting non the less!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Angel One

I don't think that is what is being said, that the earth is expanding. I think that part of the contenent is expanding which has happened many times.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I wonder if the earthquakes that have occurred over the past month and a half are directly related to this rift.

Since the huge 7.0's last month, I've been monitoring eQuake (and the actual website it gets it's data from) and grown used to seeing several 5.0 in a day, and lately a small swarm of 2+ in California. Even a few 2+ and up hitting Hawaii, out in the middle of the plates.

As well, I monitor the news on earthquakes. Overall, the world seems to be squaring it's shoulders for a Big One - so to speak. Lots of Earthquake caution drills going on, and preparedness tests in places that usually see high levels of activity. Even those that don't see usually normally high levels are getting some - the Tennessee fault line, for example, and places out in Iran and Iraq/Afghanistan.

East coast time, it's currently 8:00 AM and there have already been three 5.0 in the world today.

This rift could potentially be the trigger the scientists are looking for in the quakes. Just my observations!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The Pacific plate that is riding up over southern California is moving at about the speed a fingernail grows.
Approximately 1/2 inch a year. You can actually watch it move if you have the time.LOL
The subduction of most plates can be measured but not likely viewed. They are mountain builders.
The rifts in the ocean bottoms (volcanic) like the ones that formed the Hawaiian islands and plenty others are part of the mechanics that help spread the continents.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
So its entirly possible that East Africa can become an Island.... what a thought!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

Cool photo. Great fossils in there.
Did they say how long before it fills with water?

Given the local terrain, I think it's more likely to fill with sand!

btw I think the Mid Atlantic Rift is even more impressive - especially since you can safely walk along it!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If you can imagine the earth 4 billion years ago. It would be pretty much a molten gaseous mass spinning around the sun. Something like Venus today. As it cools a crust forms and minerals and elements are distributed through the mass by weight mostly.
The gasses form an atmosphere that precipitate H 2 0 forming an ocean or oceans if you prefer.
The crust is continuous, like the peel of an orange but wrinkly like a prune.
The water is drawn into the cracks and depressions by gravity. The spinning of the earth on it's axis,
provide wind and water erosion. The eroded material collects at the depths of the oceans where the skin is thinnest. This tares the skin and allows the molten Magma core to escape and move mountains and the continents as well. When the mountain wares down and returns to the bottom of the sea, Then it all starts again.
The continental versions of this are like Mount St. Helens and Kilimanjaro. Many more as well. The Great Rift Valley is a part of this process.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I watched the rather tedious presentation of the earth expansion theory. He lost me at the earth becoming a gas giant (who knows given time) or that fusion is creating matter at the earth's core.

I have heard of the theory of nuclear reactions also occurring in the core. I suppose if critical masses happen this is possible. The work with thorium reactors lately shows that a very abundant element thorium could produce the heat in the core too if located within a critical mass. I have also heard of the theory of the moon creating enough motion on earth to keep things generating heat in the core. The theory goes on to say once the moon leaves earth's orbit the planet will die. To the extent something is heating the earth's core, I could see some expansion from a time of a solid cool cored earth (if it was ever cool) to to a heat expanded core version of the earth. Whatever heats the core, plate tectonics it seems depends on it.

As far as iron coming from he sun, well it is formed in stars somewhere and could fly into orbit with our sun and form a planet at the inner portion of the solar system due to its mass. I suppose something hitting the sun could throw off some matter containing iron too, but I haven't read any science saying this. Usually a super nova blows matter out into space and the gases used in fusion disperse.

As far as the subduction occurring in Africa, it has been known for a long time and is still happening. It is interesting.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jdmjam

Take a look at New Zealand.
It has become two big islands.
Plenty of other examples. Fun to take a map and try to figure what is movin where next.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

Cool photo. Great fossils in there.
Did they say how long before it fills with water?

Given the local terrain, I think it's more likely to fill with sand!

btw I think the Mid Atlantic Rift is even more impressive - especially since you can safely walk along it!

Neat thought!
I quess the wind could work that magic north of the equator but if the rift provides an opening to the ocean, I think water would finish the job.
That sand would make a huge cutting/drilling tool.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The process in Africa is complicated, but to simplify it (as best I can), Continental Africa is moving slower than the Eastern section of the plate thats being carried along with Saudi Arabia (part of the Indian Ocean plate.)

This process means that Eastern Africa is being torn apart from Continental Africa quicker than Africa is moving, thus splitting 1/4 of the Eastern side of the Continent apart. It is creating a Rift Valley which will sink further in time and continue to split until filled with the Indian Ocean. Eastern Africa will then become another Island similar to Madagascar.
By this time Saudi Arabia would have come together with Iran and the Persian Gulf would become a dry Desert as the Red Sea becomes further expanded to the west.

I have been to Iceland where the European/American Contients are tearing Apart and have been to Thingvellir where this process is evident looking across the Rift Valley from the American Side 15 miles across Eastwards to the European with a 20 meter Fault "slip" below where in a few million years time the entire valley will be filled with Atlantic Seawater, seperating Iceland West/East.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

The old saying goes everything leads to the ocean. Probably won't be long till this things splits all the way to the coastline. Great Find!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by A52FWY

I know nothing about these theories but may make the time to check them out soon.
My thought off the top, would be gravity captures particles from space.
Some times huge meteorites as well. Huge chunks are found all over the planet.
This could contribute to expansion. I am not aware that our planet sluffs off equal amounts of material.
The iron chunks are just a small part of the mass that enters the atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
S and F!

Did anyone notice how close the rift was to the Nile? I wonder of it may end up draining the Nile befor the rift expansion reaches open oceanic waters. Just speculation on my part.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join