It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic computer shows your thoughts on screen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Psychic computer shows your thoughts on screen TimesOnline 01 Nov, '09.

Scientists have discovered how to “read” minds by scanning brain activity and reproducing images of what people are seeing — or even remembering.

Researchers have been able to convert into crude video footage the brain activity stimulated by what a person is watching or recalling.

In America, security agencies are researching the use of brain scanners for interrogating prisoners, and Lockheed Martin, the US defence contractor, is reported to have studied the possibility of scanning brains at a distance.

A computer that can produce fuzzy images from MRI scans is truly remarkable, but doesn't convince me that remote thought detection is imminent. However it does suggest that nightmare is not pure sci-fi fantasy.

The prospect of being able to access the hitherto private content of an individual's brain is worrying enough.

Another milestone in the unequal information war. While the technocrats encroach ever further into the innermost recesses of our minds, the firewall around their own secrets grows more impenetrable.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Why have you posted this twice? Once in global meltdown?
This is a repost of your own post which is a repost of another

Edit: I see you kinda deleted the other

[edit on 2-11-2009 by blankduck18]

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Nov 2 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Incredible stuff. The philosophical ramifications make my head spin just thinking about it. Again though, the researchers will say "we just create the tech, it depends on who uses it that makes it good or bad". Not good enough in my book. New tech like this that has such power should go through a series of controls to ensure it is used for the benefit of humanity, and no one person or power ever have sole control of it.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see them hook it up to someone who says they were abducted by aliens.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilAxis

You do not think remote thought reading is possible, lol. America and places like russia and uk can do that for along time.

I am not going to start with what they did to me, but this tech is ages old. They started on me in 1992, and i have no wires connected to my head, so they do it remotely, lol.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Let's make it mandatory for ever public official without exception down to the file clerks, IRS employees, Federal reserve bankers, Overpaid CEOs, Lawyers, Judges, Police, Lobbyists.
If it comes down to everyone well the world would be a better place if you could see who was honest and who wasn't

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Good idea. Hook Bush up to it and see what you get.. bet it would freak you right out.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
thats way cool

they could do some messed up things with it though

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this up. I read about this a few days ago on newscientist site, and found it pretty interesting. It made me think about the uses of it in the future when they can get it working at 100%. I wonder if they will have these brain scanners at airports and other buildings like the metal detectors they have up now?

Here is another link for ya.

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

reproducing images of what people are seeing — or even remembering

Easily defeated by directing your thoughts. Personally, I'm alread in the habit of thinking "other" things when typing passwords. Just think about bunny rabbits or naked women or something when you walk through security checkpoints.

Or if you want to play with them...think about a firmly extended middle finger.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This really starts the privacy debate into a whole new direction. If Lockheed is interested in "mind reading" from a distance then there is a glaring implication that the use of such equipment would not be consensual or even made aware of from the "readee"...

If you thought that internet and telecommunications were the only ones invading your privacy...wait until they have this up and running to the extent of their abilities. For once...it may actually be advantageous to "have rocks in the head"...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Double Post...

[edit on Mon, 02 Nov 2009 15:16:55 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Any one think the mind gives off ether pressure waves.
If it did then the task would be easy.
Or we fix things so it would work.
We do know the a spinning bar magnet can stimulate
or calm a person.
So come on, bar magnet, that's pure ether interaction.
Force at a distance with another bar magnet.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Alright, now this is exciting news. It's this kind of technology that will be required to FIX all the humons and hook them into the borgnet so that their every evil wicked thought can be monitored by big brother. Wow, this will really let us get to the bottom of the truth! This is cool, this is the kind of technology I'd invest in! Can you envision the day when another humon could no longer tell a lie because we will be able to peek inside their humon skull and actually SEE what kind of creepy things they are think about now.

Good find, OP, reading this just brightened my day. Maybe there is hope for humanity once we get them all hooked into monitor-central! Lets give these researchers a big check to get this project moving!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
They are NEVER going to make this work by concentrating on the brain.
But because the mind is actually an energy field it us really easier to tap into than brain activity is. But that's basically a psychic ability. Per some people who have escaped secret programs working on this, this ability can be machine-assisted. So of course it is only a matter of time before they will come out with a machine that can do the whole job. But it will be based on psychic energies, not brain activity.

In the face of psychic abilities all talk of "privacy" crumbles. Privacy is one of the biggest lies of modern life. If you don't want anyone to know your "dark secrets," don't have any! As far as we can tell, all military and intelligence agencies now use "remote viewers" and people with similar abilities. Our only out is that anyone can learn to use their psychic abilities. There is no way anyone could ever create a monopoly on them except by keeping us ignorant of them.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by blankduck18

Edit: I see you kinda deleted the other

[edit on 2-11-2009 by blankduck18]

better question is why do you really care if he posted it in 2 different places??
The point is the INFORMATION, not to what or where he posted it AT
lets try to stay on topic... *SNIP*

[edit on 2-11-2009 by alien]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
NONE of you put ANYTHING positive about this? haha
god...you people with your instant negative thought processing baffles me.
This could be revolutionary for individuals who have bad motor skills, or NONE.
Imagine quadriplegics?? People with alzheimer's, handicap individuals, those in comas, people who are mute, who cant SPEAK, those who have OTHER problems that i haven't even began to touch on.
Babies could tell u exactly what they man. Could help us understand the human brain BETTER in such an early stage (babies)
People who are on there "death beds" we could view what they see, what they feel. Could confirm god, or a "higher source"

seriously there is FAR MORE good than bad. lol
"what if they use it like metal detectors at airports!!! -bites nails-"

sOrry but if YOUR HIDING SOMETHING, than yea probably will be bad news. For those who actually live a good, peaceful life, without trying to cause some havoc this is nothing big. Nor is it nothing bad.
If you are doing nothing wrong, than you have nothing to worry about =]

[edit] put the wrong spelling =]

[edit on 2/11/2009 by kaskade]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Can you envision the day when another humon could no longer tell a lie because we will be able to peek inside their humon skull and actually SEE what kind of creepy things they are think about now.

Your faith in humanity is...well...not so much there is it? Why assume that someone who misappropriates the truth (indirectly or intentionally) is full of creepy thoughts. Everyone does it...

As well...I think that this tech is still subject to human interpretation and as such will still incurr some amount of human bias. I am really interested in how "mind readings" will account for contextual interpretations...something that should be considered prior to hailing this as a save all for the justice system. I really would like to see someone arrested for thought crimes...especially since the only way to know what is good (unless you factor in societal manipulations/engineerings) is to be aware of what is bad...

I am also concerned about the potential for abuse (I'm aware that anything can be abused but this is an invasive technology that can occur without the awareness of the individual being "read"). The unveiling of this tech implies that it has been around and has been used (how else to verify its' voracity?

Factor in the fact that the majority of the population doesn't know beans from how their brains operate we can state that there is a distinct and relevant difference between the knowledge of those who possess this and other mind influencing technologies and the average citizen. People just don't know or realize that they are constantly being manipulated in subtle ways to gain their confidence or their wallet. In order for this to be a viable technology in our society...the public needs to be made aware of how they can be manipulated and the ramifications of others possessing these techs.

The situation is complicated and there really needs to be widespread discussion of this...or it will end up being a tool for the elite and just another indication of the social heirarchy in place - you know - the one that others aren't aware of.

As you can probably tell...I am not a huge supporter of this right now...

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This has been done for along time.

Nothing new here.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blankduck18

Yeah - when I noticed I'd posted it in the wrong forum I deleted, linked and reposted here - only to find in the meantime someone posted the same topic in another forum

Originally posted by andy1033

You do not think remote thought reading is possible, lol. America and places like russia and uk can do that for along time.

Hmmn - even without recourse to the psychic computer, I knew someone would say this. Suffice to say, although I'm in the UK and paranoid and suspect my phone's tapped and every keystroke monitored - I don't believe the technology exists to remotely read my mind. I think Remote Viewing may have been a game played by Cold War opponents to freak each other out...

Originally posted by ..5..
Let's make it mandatory for ever public official without exception down to the file clerks, IRS employees, Federal reserve bankers, Overpaid CEOs, Lawyers, Judges, Police, Lobbyists.
If it comes down to everyone well the world would be a better place if you could see who was honest and who wasn't

Agreed - it's the only way forward. Complete, multilateral disclosure. Our minds as one. Can you imagine that happening though?

Originally posted by LordBucket

Easily defeated by directing your thoughts. Personally, I'm alread in the habit of thinking "other" things when typing passwords. Just think about bunny rabbits or naked women or something when you walk through security checkpoints.

Or if you want to play with them...think about a firmly extended middle finger.

Absolutely - that occurred to me. Anyway, half the time I can't make sense of what I'm thinking myself, so good luck to anyone who cares to have a stab at it.

You know those dreams that dissolve into senselessness as you wake? The ideas, thoughts and narrative are so out of kilter with anything that could exist in the "real world" you can't even begin to put it into words. I'd love to see what the Thought-O-Scope made of those.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join