It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we have problems limiting Government spending

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I got this in an e-mail this morning. I am sure some of you have seen the same thing. It was sent as a pseudo joke. It is true and sadly, the way we as Americans have let our gonvernment take control of us. I don't know what to do to fix it, but I know it needs fixing. Enjoy this for a second, then let it get you mad.

This is just too good not to share ... Gubmint and How Gubmint Works Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert. Congress said, "Someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job. Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies. Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports. Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So They created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, Then hired two people. Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary. Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one Year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost." So they laid off the night watchman. NOW slowly, let it sink in. Quietly, we go like sheep to slaughter. Does anybody remember the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY.... during the Carter Administration? Anybody? Anything? No? Didn't think so! Bottom line. We've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency...the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember! Ready?? It was very simple...and at the time, everybody thought it very appropriate. The Department of Energy was instituted on 8-04-1977.

TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL. Hey, pretty efficient, huh??? AND NOW IT'S 2009 -- 32 YEARS LATER -- AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS "NECESSARY" DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR. THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES; AND LOOK AT THE JOB THEY HAVE DONE! THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY, "WHAT WAS I THINKING?" Ah, yes -- good ole bureaucracy. AND, NOW, WE ARE GOING TO TURN THE BANKING SYSTEM, HEALTH CARE, AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY OVER TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT? HELLOOO! Anybody Home?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The reason that we have problems limiting Government spending is due to the Federal Reserve, whenever the Government needs money, they just fire up the printing presses. Best way to stop the growth of government is a.) destroy the Federal Reserve and b.) return to "hard" currency (gold, silver, etc). Much more difficult to inflate a commodity.

Did you know, the income tax could be completely done away with and the government could run on created money solely?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

seeing the fed referred to as a giant ponzie scheme is the best way I can understand how it works. I only hope I can achieve my goals before the house of cards comes down.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I don't know what to do to fix it, but I know it needs fixing.

you need to complain, bitch, whine, whinge and worry every public representative in your pay. if, after four years, they haven't done a good enough job in your opinion, you go out and elect someone better and start to complain, bitch, whine, whinge and worry that new guy.

the electorates of the world are like lazy business owners who have spent 10 years coming in at 11, having a hearty lunch and leaving to play golf at 2 only to be shocked to hear that the business has been run into the ground by greedy, self serving bureaucrats.

the bureaucrats won't fix the problem, they're not competent enough, they need direction and there's only one person who's responsible for giving it to them. you.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Also stating that they cannot spend more then they have would be of great help.

You have 100 dollars, you may spend 100 dollars. Not 1000, nor borrowing against next year's 100 dollars.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I was listening to a representative from the Charlotte NC area , Sue Myrick -rep. In the early days of the discussion of the bailout, she was against it and sounded a lot like what Ron Paul was saying. She mentioned that most people in her circle were of the same mindset. Then when the bailout passed, she explained why she voted for it. Not a real explanation, just an excuse. Now with the health care thing, I see a bunch of reps are against it, then they are having one-on-one meetings with the pres and all of the sudden, their minds have changed. Never mind what their constituents think. Are they being strong armed?, bribed? we on the outside will never know. I want to scream this at the top of my lungs but to whom? I am so frustrated because there is nobody to yell at.(at least nobody who cares enough to listen)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
But with the Federal Reserve system, they can create the 100 dollars that they need and tax us poor souls without us even knowing it via inflation. This is the worst type of taxation because it transfers wealth from the poor and middle class to the rich.

Originally posted by Seiko

Also stating that they cannot spend more then they have would be of great help.

You have 100 dollars, you may spend 100 dollars. Not 1000, nor borrowing against next year's 100 dollars.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I am so frustrated because there is nobody to yell at.(at least nobody who cares enough to listen)

i feel your pain but you shouldn't worry about weather or not they care, yell at the people you elected. if they don't care, don't elect them next time. if you're that frustrated, get involved, run yourself.

it's sad, but we really do get the government we deserve.

[edit on 2/11/09 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
We do really get what we pay for in Politics. Too much apathy on part of the People and we get a Government out of control.

It is never too late to start demanding common-sense regulation of our own Government if you don't like it.

A call for a Balanced Budget Amendment that requires our Congress to spend within limitations of the country's Revenue would be a good start...and if we threaten those that oppose it with being elected out of office, then it would be a step in the right direction. Deficit Spending simply has to end. You'd be hard-pressed to find any politician of any Party willing to beg to differ with such a premise (even if they may not practice what they preach).

Trimming the Bureaucracy will happen all of it's own at that point. When the Government Agencies begging for their annual hand-outs have to justify that expense to Congress who can't spend more than they really have, they are going to have to trim costs or face mandatory Budget short-falls. If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, then restricting the flow of money out of Congress will bring about eventual streamlining by Government Agencies to be more cost-effective, finding new ways to make the money stretch knowing that's all they are going to get. No Government intervention or Public Oversight is needed at that point to reduce Government Waste.

Of course, Bureaucracies are inefficient by their nature. Nothing is ever going to change that permanently. However, that doesn't mean that they can't become less inefficient, even if they won't ever be entirely efficient. The best option, however, is to let them do it themselves by putting an end to the ear-marks and pork-barrel spending in Congress.

During this Economic Recession/Depression, the people have learned to cut their unnecessary Spending, and to reduce their overall Debt, and to rebuild their Savings for an uncertain future. It's long overdue that our Government learn to do the same.

They aren't going to change on their own. To think they will is as naive as thinking a child left to their own devices will stop raiding the Cookie Jar if you don't scold them or punish them! We the people, the parents of our Senators and Representatives, need to get stern and discipline our pilfering children and put them on a diet. Until we do, we can't expect them to stop on their own.

It's time to call for Balanced Budgets and no more Deficit Spending in Congress! Let Trickle-down Economics take care of the rest.

top topics

join