It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The CAUSE of the Obesity Epidemic Is SALT (The Weightloss Secret)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
hey Colopatiron do u mind refering to ur U2U regarding my message

[edit on 3-11-2009 by wein]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

It isn't that salt isn't needed. But we are getting too much of a good thing. It is added to every food. Americans get way more salt then they need. You get enough salt just through your regular diet. But then the companies amp it up. And then we tend to add a little more.

The only thing I don't agree with is the part about the rice. Rice isn't good for Europeans. It is good for Asians. Rice comes from Asia. For Americans and Eurupeans it spikes the blood sugar and makes it crash. One of the reasons people think they are hungry ten minutes after eating american chinese food.

Mediterranean foods are good for mediterraneans. Asian food is good for Asians, People should be eating the food of their ancestors, as that is what the body is designed for. Would my ancestors have been eating bananas and mangos? Probably not. I feel that is throwing some things out of whack too.

So this thing where the asians are thin, they eat a lot less meat. And their metabolism is adjusted for their diet, but it doesn't mean it is good for Americans or Europeans. It is called ethnic dieting.

Very interesting point about the potassium vs. salt by the way.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Colopatiron

Obesity is actually caused by engineered food oils.

Engineered food oils were first introduced into the human food chain in the 1930's...
...obesity and Type 2 diabetes stats began to climb from this time.

The dynamic works like this...
...human body cells are produced from the products of oils.

Quality natural oils produce soft/slippery cell membranes that easily absorb sugars and other nutrients...
...engineered food oils using heat and chemical extraction methods...
...produce stiff/sticky cell membranes that frustrate the easy passage of sugars and other nutrients.

When the cell does not get sufficient sugars, it signals for more...
...which raises the blood sugar levels and insulin...
...the excess sugar is transported to the liver and converted to fat and stored...
...this feedback crisis eventually produces obesity.

This process can be reversed by eliminating engineered food oils...
...and replacing them with natural cold pressed oils...
...as cells turnover, the new cells are soft/slippery...
...and after a few months cell numbers reach a critical mass...
...and the feedback crisis ends and the obesity begins to reverse.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
OH yes, lets all join the rice diet! For a mere $5900 you to can be on your way to health through bland foods

I am glad you clicked on the link to at least look at it. I posted the link based on the limited information out on this subject, that being one with actual testimonials of people having successful results! What I like about that company is they openly tell you what they do so if you cannot afford it and have the willpower you can do it on your own at home and don't need to go there. For some, it's an alternative to surgery! More and more people seem to be opting for $10,000+ surgery nowadays after giving up on trying to find a natural way to do it. With this, they go to their location and in a structured setting receive help with weight loss without surgery. What you should pay more attention to are the testimonials and consider telling your friends not about the program but about what they are doing so maybe they can do it from home. They tell you openly what they are doing (low sodium rice, fruits, vegetables and exercise), you don't have to go, it's just an example of a group that are aware of what it takes that is staying in business because they are getting results. It might help someone you know change their life by telling them how low sodium can possibly help. Maybe it's the one last solution they haven't tried. There are testimonials of people losing a lot of weight cutting sodium way down with little to no exercise! Imagine with exercise!

It's not like this is some sort of foreign out of left field idea. People are constantly told they need to eat more fruits and vegetables but they go with the the lean low fat low calorie alternatives because they are told that they can lose weight by going that route! So they do the low carb, low cal, whatever in hopes it works for them! What they are unaware of is the culprit is sodium which makes it even hard to achieve if you don't go for fruits and vegetables that have a natural balance of potassium to sodium that your body needs!

It's all in how you frame things, if you tell someone to eat more fruits and vegetables, you are offering sound advice. If you tell them the reason why you should eat it is because they are low in sodium and high in potassium and will help with weightloss not because of calories, fat or sugar but because of LOW SODIUM, suddenly people get worked up and start commenting on how that doesn't make sense. Yet you are telling them the same thing! The problem is, once you know the sodium connection, you may be more likely to follow through on it. Once you look towards ASIA and see the staple of rice (0 sodium) and start seeing that low sodium has a key impact in their diets, suddenly you see the big picture!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by wein
hey Colopatiron do u mind refering to ur U2U regarding my message

[edit on 3-11-2009 by wein]

Hi Wein, I'm sorry I don't do the yahoo/aol/etc. instant message thing at all. If you have any questions, feel free to message me here via u2u or post a question here and I'll reply back.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by Colopatiron]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I would just like to add if this has not been added already that sodium aids water retention.

People who train physically might take a little bit of extra salt to aid in water retention to thus not become dehydrated, for example.

The water retention, especially in regards to the face, can make you appear chubby.

I agree with the OP that sodium is a factor but the biggest factor is laziness/lack of exercise.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
[edit on 3-11-2009 by nixie_nox]

Thanks for commenting nixie_nox, it's always good to hear different views from people who are geniunely interested in discussing a subject. I have often heard about eating for your blood type, eating for your ethnicity is fairly rarely discussed.

The main reason I would have to disagree is when you start researching centenarians (people living over 100 years old), you'll notice trends in diets around the world towards super foods. When you start researching nutrition in foods, you'll also see that certain foods have an unbelievable health advantage over others, hence the term "super foods". For example carrots are very high in vitamin A. Research shows that vitamin A has numerous health benefits on the skin, lungs, and throughout the body is a very important vitamin. Studies show that many people who pick up juicing carrots and drinking carrot juice on a regular basis tend to live longer. It is essentially a super food. It has been linked in some studies in curing cancer.

Once you start thinking in terms of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, you are then willing to take foods out of any region on the planet to help fight against disease and aid in longevity.

For example, a look at Spinach vs. Romaine Lettuce shows that 1 cup of Spinach has 1,110% vitamin k versus 143% in 2 cups romaine lettuce.

spinach
whfoods.com...

romaine lettuce
www.whfoods.com...

Why would you want more vitamin k than less?

Although humans must breathe oxygen to stay alive, oxygen is a risky substance inside the body because its use can result in the production of free radicals. Unless quickly neutralized by antioxidants, these overly reactive, oxygen-containing molecules can damage the cell structures around them.

When vitamin K is used by an enzyme to alter proteins, it too is altered. This altered vitamin K is then regenerated and reused continuously in what is called the vitamin K cycle. During this cycle, vitamin K functions as an antioxidant, inactivating free radicals that would otherwise damage the delicate fats that are the primary constituents of our cell membranes.

www.whfoods.com...

Keep in mind that these studies are based on what is KNOWN. Rice is known to have certain b vitamins. However some have claimed it also has a scrubbing effect in the body that helps it absorb certain things in your body to be flushed out like cholesterol. Remember there still are vitamins in natural foods that have not been discovered yet.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Engineered food oils were first introduced into the human food chain in the 1930's...

Quality natural oils produce soft/slippery cell membranes that easily absorb sugars and other nutrients...
...produce stiff/sticky cell membranes that frustrate the easy passage of sugars and other nutrients.

...the excess sugar is transported to the liver and converted to fat and stored...

I keep an open mind, what foods are high in this engineered food oil, what do you eat to avoid them, what are some names of engineered food oils?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz
I would just like to add if this has not been added already that sodium aids water retention.

People who train physically might take a little bit of extra salt to aid in water retention to thus not become dehydrated, for example.

The water retention, especially in regards to the face, can make you appear chubby.

I agree with the OP that sodium is a factor but the biggest factor is laziness/lack of exercise.

I think that is where you are wrong, many obese people are trapped in a cycle. They lack energy! So here is the question, where do they get energy from? How do they boost energy to exercise and break the cycle?

The answer leads you to blood flow! Increase blood flow, clear the path so it can circulate better and you'll revive vitality! You'll have so much energy that you won't be able to sit still! You'll have a revived zest for life, a revived sex drive, a revived need for less sleep than before! Did you know there are some men in Greece who are still sexually active in their 70s! How? They eat garlic daily and admit to it being their secret. It helps with blood flow they say. If the blood can flow to the tip of your penis, it can flow anywhere in your body. What this shows is that healthy blood flow should continue into the 70s, yet many are having problems in their 30s, 40s, 50s!

At the heart of blood flow is sodium. Hence high sodium leading to high blood pressure, risk of stroke, fatigue. So you get back to asking for solutions. It's easy to say it's because people are "lazy". What's the solution? My solution points to increasing energy levels which leads me to analyzing blood flow, getting things to flow properly again to gain energy. Eating a meal and not feeling like you need to take a nap after! Our foods are making us tired and fatigued and nobody asks why! If we aren't revived after a meal and aren't revived later on after a meal is absorbed and processed by our body, when will we be? When we switch what we are eating! When we cut salt!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Anything I ate and drank for over a year was without salt and no salt but I didn't loose a single pound. So your theory is wrong. All Doctors tell you not to use salt but I read some where that salt is essential for your good health. However it should be moderate. There is more to the human body than what we were led to believe. I would like to hear it from people that did something and lost weight. And that something also worked for some one else too.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Thanks for your input. The hidden problem few know about.

I used to publish a peer review medical magazine, not related to weight. But one of the contributors figured this out as one of the reasons oeople who eat junk food, in restaurants, prepared meals, gain weight fastest and have the most trouble losing it.

He introduced me to potassium salt which can be bought in a health food store, looks and tastes like sodium salt, but a bit more intense meaning less is needed.

Concentration camps and other food intake deprivation situations have clearly shown less calories results in loss of weight. But eh process is multi-factorial. You don't want to lose protein muscle mass for starters.

No two people's metabolisms are exactly the same. Everyone's body has gotten used to the intake of certain food so the body has to be re-educated on how to process it's intake effectively. That can take from days to months. Painful at time as you go through various withdrawal stages.

But most Westerners are sugar and salt junkies and they need it embedded in the strange processed oils that were introduced by industry.

Good news is anyone can lose 5 pounds a week if they keep to a healthy regime and still feel satisfied.

But you can't eat out in fast food places, eat packaged food, use sodium salt or white sugar.

In a few weeks you'll start craving real food and the junk will taste repulsive. I've share this transformation with a lot fo people.

Mike

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Just wanted to let everyone know that this thread is on the first page of google for a search on..

salt obesity
salt causes obesity
sodium causes obesity

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

Is it really the engineered food oils? Or is it the high quanties of salt on everything? Why is it that you can eat burgers at home for years and maintain a decent weight but when you start going to McDonalds a lot you gain a lot of weight? Have you ever tried eating a fast food hamburger without the bun? I did when I tried Atkins years ago and let me tell you, they are incredibly salted. They are so salted it's is actually a little disgusting to eat them without the bread and vegetables. Try ordering just the meat for a burger at McDonalds or Wendys and you will see how much salt is on their meat. Remember a can of soup and how much sodium is in soup and how you can barely taste it. Then remember how much extra has to be added so you can TASTE the salt. Then look at all the foods where you can clearly taste the salt like chicken strips and french fries! Remember how when you eat their foods you cannot eat them without having a drink, you instantly know to either buy a soda with it or get a water because it is difficult eating them without it!

I know genetically modified foods in general are bad however you have to question the fact that they are literally in almost everything and have been for years and not everyone is obese. I watched the documentary FOOD INC. and they stated somewhere around 90% of all soybeans grown in the U.S. are grown with genetically modifed seeds that can resist Mosantos Round Up. So that means not only are they modified, they are sprayed with a chemical that is illegal in some countries! Cows are fed corn when they eat grass! Watch FOOD INC. and you'll see some interesting things. However I don't think the result is necessarily obesity, I would link it more to cancer (pesticides), diabetes (high fructose corn syrup) and disease (e. coli from corn fed cows).

There are a lot strange things going on which is why I created the thread I did before about having nothing to fear, which has gotten 72 flags...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The more you learn about this world the more horrible you'll see it is. You have to look at how much is involved just to keep something this horrible going. From the companies, to the people who constantly move through and are hired at these companies that say and do nothing, to the government and all the people that move through the government and say nothing, to the people who learn the truth year to year. To the packagers, the recievers globally, the stores that carry the products who say nothing. To the customers who buy the products knowing they are bad for them. It's a conspiracy that everyone is in on. This is the problem with a lot of conspiracies, many people are trying to go after one group but they don't see how many people have to be involved to perpetuate it!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Three theories I have about SODIUM, no scientific proof, possibly not even factual, just theories to consider.

SALT KEEPS THINGS INSIDE CELLS
Is it possible that sodium is what keeps the fluid in fat cells? WebMD points out that sodium is what keeps fluid inside and outside the body's cells. This should include adipose/fat cells since they are obviously cells also. Therefore it's possible that some of the most inflated cells, fat cells may have a strong correlation to sodium since it's what controls how much water or fluid is INSIDE the cells.

HIGH SODIUM IS LOCATED NEAR THE SKIN, SO IS MOST FAT
Another theory, it has been pointed out before that sodium is found right below our skin where it accumulates and is excreted when we sweat with an antibacterial effect on our skin. It's possible excess sodium might be pushed near the skin where the body tries to utilize it against skin bacteria or a perceived threat where that much sodium is needed. Strangely enough, this is also where FAT accumulates, in the same regions near the surface of the skin. Many have argued that fat is simply the storage of toxins in the body. That fat is just a way for the body to quickly move certain things OUT of the blood stream that are toxic or that can no longer be handled. Some say it's excess glucose that the body can't fight against so stores away for later when needed. But what if it's salt that the body is really trying to fight against and is storing away, maybe even with a correlating effect with glucose storage! Perhaps the thing it's really shoveling off into fat storage is salt to take the pain off our kidneys, heart and to maintain a semi decent fluid balance in our body. There are some people out there that rarely EVER eat vegetables and rarely get potassium! How are they able to balance out their fluid levels internally? It would appear the body retains water throughout and stores away the salt in higher concentrations near the skin and in the fat cells!

EXCESS SODIUM IN THE LYMPH SYSTEM CAUSES DISEASE
en.wikipedia.org...

If you read up on the lymph system, you'll see that it's prone to SWELLING. They never quite say WHY, however as pointed out by WEBMD, it appears SODIUM is in this system, and if there is excess sodium, it could be the reason for the swelling through extra fluid retention. Is it then possible that SALT is contributing to a weakness in the immune system, problems with the ability to clean blood, TUMORS, CANCER? Perhaps if all that excess sodium that was backing up our LYMPH SYSTEM was released instead of stored or excreted, we'd be full of tumors all over our skin! Could this be what causes skin cancer also? Could salt be the root of not only obesity but many diseases as well?

Sodium is both an electrolyte and mineral. It helps keep the water (the amount of fluid inside and outside the body's cells) and electrolyte balance of the body. Sodium is also important in how nerves and muscles work.

Most of the sodium in the body (about 85%) is found in blood and lymph fluid. Sodium levels in the body are partly controlled by a hormone called aldosterone, which is made by the adrenal glands. Aldosterone levels tell the kidneys when to hold sodium in the body instead of passing it in the urine.
www.webmd.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colopatiron
I keep an open mind, what foods are high in this engineered food oil, what do you eat to avoid them, what are some names of engineered food oils?

An engineered oil is any oil produced using heat and chemical extraction.

If a fat or oil does not go rancid if left unrefrigerated it is useless for producing healthy cells...
...which means that almost ever fat/oil used in processed foods is useless.

When a label lists 'vegetable oil' as an ingredient, it is almost always Canola oil (Rape Seed)...
...Canola seeds are tiny and it is almost impossible to extract oils from them by using a Cold Pressing method.

The traditional oils were fish, butter, flax (linseed), coconut.

Some of these have been 'demonized' by western medicine but if these are introduced into the diet they produce heathy cell membranes that easily absorb sugars and nutrients and stop the feedback crisis that causes Type 2 diabetes, obesity and elevated cholesterol.

For further reading see...

reversingdiabetes.files.wordpress.com...

www.Healingmatters.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

what a fascinating post. what are these processed oils, have a list?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Certainly NaCl (table salt) will cause one to retain more water, thus more water weight. But shedding that extra water weight is not the solution to obesity...it's burning fat.

I will contend that the key to overcoming obesity is to consume less calories than you burn. It's simple math. You CAN NOT gain weight or even maintain your current weight if you practice this daily.

There are so many "diets" out there...low carb...low fat...low protein. However, at the end of the day, it's the calorie count that matters.

Eat healthy and exercise...count your calories and we will see less of you...literally!

Just my 2-cents

Calorie Restriction

[edit on 3-11-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter[/i

Some of these have been 'demonized' by western medicine but if these are introduced into the diet they produce heathy cell membranes that easily absorb sugars and nutrients and stop the feedback crisis that causes Type 2 diabetes, obesity and elevated cholesterol.

You don't include olive oil, a staple to the Mediterranean region for thousands of years.

People in countries on the Mediterranean diet - olive oil, fish, cheese, yogurt, red wine etc - used to produce good stats on obesity. The last 20 years with processed food and fast foods encroaching their numbers are as getting as bad as America.

M

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

Originally posted by troubleshooter[/i

You don't include olive oil, a staple to the Mediterranean region for thousands of years.

People in countries on the Mediterranean diet - olive oil, fish, cheese, yogurt, red wine etc - used to produce good stats on obesity. The last 20 years with processed food and fast foods encroaching their numbers are as getting as bad as America.

M

Thanks for reminding me...
...Cold Pressed Olive Oil is great...but make sure it is Cold Pressed...
...in Australia we have been caught out with imported bulk oils that call themselves Cold Pressed Olive Oil but are not Cold Pressed or Olive.

Also Cold Pressed Grape Seed oil is best for any frying because it has a high smoke-point and is not as easily denatured with heat.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Ps. engineered oils are also the reason why third world economies also have Type 2 diabetes epidemics...
...their traditional oils (which take time to produce fresh) have been replaced by cheap cooking oils that don't require the effort to produce and don't go rancid or need refrigeration.

Also, you will find that if you consume good oils for awhile you will have trouble eating processed foods...
...they will taste bad to you (because they are).

<< 1    3 >>

join