It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone App drives car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is interesting. I don't know if there any practical applications for this though.

An iPhone app to drive a car has been created by computer scientists (I was going to say commuter scientists) in Germany. The "driver" can operate Spirit of Berlin the steering, brakes, and accelerator pedal by simply tilting and stroking their iPhone.

A video camera placed on the dashboard transmits a signal to the iPhone, which allows the 'remote driver' to see everything in front of the car and adjust the car's movements accordingly.

The commands are transmitted from the iPhone via radio to the power transmission in the car. The user can park a car on the ground level as far away as the fourth floor of a building.

www.technovelgy.com...

I'm sure someone will think of something for this.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Coming soon: The iCar
iPhone steering not included

This reminds me of one of the James Bond films where he remotely drives the car. Its just fun and games for now, theres no way that will be legal any time soon. Imagine driving the iPhone car. You have an itch. You move your hand to scratch and -bam- car crash. It would be that easy. Car accidents are too easy to do as they are.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
how long till they drive an icar into a building packed iwth explosives and blame some minority group?

anyone?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Since the car being driven would have to be wired up with sensors and actuators to operate the components I wouldn't worry too much. This isn't something just anyone will be able to do.

There are some neat apps if you buy an ECU interface for your car on the iPhone, however. I have a wireless interface which works with an app called "Rev". I'm able to read and reset the fault codes from my engine as well as monitor a huge number of sensors which do not have guages - (various internal temperatures, turbo boost pressure, engine load, live horsepower, etc).

Depending on the car and computer in it you can also perform ignition tuning and other performance related adjustments which normally cost hundreds of dollars at a dealership.

It would be nice to be able to start the car up, run the AC and then drive it over to the curb from the parking lot by remote but I'd be loathe to risk the liability. Our cars will be driving themselves within the next ten years anyway.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This just means i'm one step closer to being the knight-rider

Imagine how much you'd impress a date with "self valet"!
In need of a quick getaway? Run the bad guys over first and jump in! Off into the sunset.... I can't believe theres an app for that to. It's interesting all the police in my city have iphones. I wonder what type of apps they have access to?
I've got the police scanner app which let's me listen to their radio transmissions.
Anyone else notice how all the alien movies nowadays (district 9 for example) have technology resembling the iphone? It's the best piece of technology out there in my opinion

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Man, people just get lazier and lazier. Now they create an app to drive a car, unbelievable that there's some people out there that are too lazy to tap a gas and brake pedal while steering.

What's next? A robotic hand that appears out of the toilet to wipe your butt because your too lazy to turn a few degrees and do it yourself?

new topics

top topics

join