Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Guantanamo detainees to receive swine flu medications amid nat'l vaccine shortage

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Guantanamo detainees to receive swine flu medications amid nat'l vaccine shortage

www.wpix.com

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Terrorism suspects held at the Guantanamo Bay naval base will soon get swine flu vaccines, despite complaints that American civilians should have priority, a military spokesman said Sunday.

Army Maj. James Crabtree, a spokesman for the U.S. jail facility in southeast Cuba, said the doses should start arriving this month, with guards and then inmates scheduled for inoculations.

He acknowledged there may be an "emotional response" from critics who argue that terror suspects should not be allocated swine-flu medications while members of the U.S. public are s
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You know, having our terrorist burden there gone would mean that we could close down Guantanamo without releasing terrorists into your back yard.

I find this story disturbing on several levels. First, the blatant disregard for the John Doe's, if the vaccine was a good thing.

The fact that we could see all these [*snip*] die or get the flu never to be heard from again.

Might be worth keeping an eye on at any rate.

www.wpix.com

Mod Edit: removed descriptive term.

[edit on 11/1/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well how many people are still being held there? It's only like 100 people right? Yhea that's gonna make a huge dent in the reserves.

And me personally I won't be taking it unless the situation gets really dire - so let em have it, they would make a fairly good control group as well considering they are watched 24 hours a day.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet

The fact that we could see all these sandkips die or get the flu never to be heard from again.

Might be worth keeping an eye on at any rate.

www.wpix.com

I find your lack of respect and racist comment "Sankips" a little disturbing anyway.

The fact is that there is no shortage of vaccines, this is another supply and demand fiasco.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Isn't this obvious?

They are more important than the average Joe.

A "terrorist" with however much information about international affairs, or the truck driver who can be let go since everybody is having a shortage in hours anyways...eh

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Why not, they get better health care than the average Joe does in the states. I don't understand why they would get the vaccine to begin with, are they coming in contact with the outside world? Are they allowed to have visitors? Doesn't make sense to me.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
To be honest they are welcome the it, by the sounds of it, it may reduce their sentences

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What are you complaining about? If anything they should have been given the vaccine first, before anyone else, so can see if there are any adverse side effects.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well, think of a few things, first. For one thing, if the prisoners get sick, they become more dangerous to the troops watching them. That's for a couple of reasons. First, they might pass their illness to the troops. Not necessarily H1N1, either, but some other illness they contracted while weakened by H1N1. Even if the soldiers are vaccinated against H1N1, they might still catch the pneumonia that a prisoner comes down with.

For another, a sick prisoner would need to be taken to the dispensary, where they might become more of a threat. Often security is a bit less stringent with a prisoner who's supposed to be sick. That makes having sick prisoners more of a security risk.

We are the US, not some third world dictatorship. We don't allow our prisoners to die of neglect while under our care. Maybe we *were* doing that, along with torturing them, but that is not what the US is all about. We have a responsibility to those prisoners to care for them in a humane and effective way.

Most of these prisoners haven't even had a trial yet. We don't know whether any of them are guilty of anything. They've been held without trial for years. Some have turned out to be wholly innocent, guilty only of having a similar name to a wanted terrorist, or of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The fact that you had part of your post [*snip*]-ed is interesting. I don't know what you actually said, but my guess it that it would be some insult based on the prisoners' religion or apparent ethnicity. Just to refresh your memory, the US is made of "ethnics" of all types, including the types you may not like. That has caused a lot of problems, but it is one of our greatest strengths and one thing that makes us unique.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
You wanted them, you got them.

Now you have to take care of them until you try them. Unless you then let them go...same rules apply. Sorry about your luck.

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
What are you complaining about? If anything they should have been given the vaccine first, before anyone else, so can see if there are any adverse side effects.

Gee, I may be mistaken, but I do believe more than a few Germans and Japanese did the ol' Hemp Rope Hula based on just such behavior.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Considering getting the swine flu vaccine is a punishment this is a very appropriate thing for them.

That being said this is more evidence that there is really no shortage at all. You see this is how you create demand, you tell everyone there is limited supplies until more come and you tell them that you are out of stock then people want it more.

Then they get more vaccines and idiots clamor to get them before they "get sold out again"

Artificial shortage to create demand. It is the only chance they have because easily 50% of the population wants nothing to do with it.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The last thing we need is for one of them to die to a "preventable" disease. Imagine the backlash if we don't vaccinate them and one or two do die.

Yea, rather not see that scenario play out.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We cant deny them due process etc if they die fo the swine flu

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Just goes to show where the minds of our "esteemed" leaders are truly set.

Second line.

NEXUS

new topics

top topics

join