It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange phenomenon over Hammerfest, Norway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have no idea what it is, and the article doesn't give any answers either.

The witness who also took the pictures describes it as a spiral that got bigger and bigger.

There are some photos in the article, could be a rocket test or something from Russia.

The article is in Norwegian, but I don't have time to translate all of it now.

Light phenomenom in Hammerfest, Norway

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe the HAARP site in Tromsø has something to do with it?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Time tunnel phenomenon like in the movie "The Final Countdown"?

Wouldn't that be freakin' awesome?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
You can translate the article via the "translate" button on the google toolbar, if your using it.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by On the Edge]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is a translation of the Norwegian article:

"Mysterious light phenomena in Hammerfest

Catelijne Brokke works as a bus driver in Hammerfest, and she tells us that she got out of bed at around four o'clock Sunday morning. As usual she started the day with a cup of coffee while she was looking out the window. Suddenly she saw a light in the dark sky, first as a spiral which grew bigger and bigger.
– It was as large as a full moon, and it got bigger and bigger like a sort of explosion. I have never seen anything like it before, she says.
Brokke is also a photographer, and she ran and got her camera to capture the phenomena. She estimates that it lasted between three and four minutes before it vanished.
– First I was just surprised at what I was. Afterwards I thought that I perhaps could wish for something big, says Brokke.
– And did you wish for something?
– Yes, a boyfriend, perhaps, she says and laughs.

To astrophysicist Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard the light phenomena over Hammerfest is quite a challenge.
– In its shape it looks like a comet, but a comet does not behave that way. Comets may well be visible for several minutes, hours, days or perhaps even months, he says.
He says that the very bright head and the movement looks like a fire ball or big meteor.
– But in that case the tail is straight and does not entangle itself the same way. And it would not be visible long enough for her to have time to get her camera, he says.
He tells us that at first he thought it might have been light reflections in the clouds, but after studying the photos he can't see anything that could explain such reflections.
In the end he just has to give up.
– This is a tough one, and I simply do not know what it is.
Røed Ødegaard has become very curious about the phenomena, and wish to hear form other people who perhaps saw the same phonomena over Hammerfest.
– Something like this is always very interesting, because most of the time we are able to explain things quite easily, but not always, he says."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67b4ce3553a8.jpg[/atsimg]
"Catelijne Brokke spotted this mysterious light phenomena over Hammerfest Sunday morning. The photos are taking in the direction of Storevatnet."

www.nrk.no...

(Edit to add photo)

[edit on 1/11/09 by ziggystar60]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I believe its a Russian missile test... I can't find the site where I saw the test but it is in Russian anyways...There was a Russian missle test in the general direction of this at that appx. time. But I may be wrong...

LifENcircleS

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm sure someone posted a similar thread yesterday ... for th elife of me I can't find it ... isn't it a Moon Halo, formed by ice crystals caused by light refraction in high altitude ice crystals ?

I'm sure the OP of the other thread was Norwegian too, he/she said it was a sign of imminent snow.

I'll keep trying to find the thread ...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

The thread you are thinking about is this one:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was about photos of a lunar halo, and I was the Norwegian who said that they sometimes predicts snow. That thread is not related to this one.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

I beg your apologies

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Very interesting! I'll be following this one closely! Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard is our most famous astrophysicist here in Norway, and when he can't explain it, I'm very much intrigued!

Maybe the aliens have landed!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifENcircleS
I believe its a Russian missile test... I can't find the site where I saw the test but it is in Russian anyways...There was a Russian missle test in the general direction of this at that appx. time. But I may be wrong...

LifENcircleS

russianforces.org...

Successful launch of a R-29RM missile

On November 1, 2009 the K-117 Bryansk submarine of the Project 667BDRM class performed a successful launch of a R-29RM missile. The launch was conducted from a submerged submarine deployed in the Barents Sea. The Navy reported that warheads successfully reached the Kura test site in Kamchatka. According to press reports, the missiles are Sineva modification of the R-29RM missile.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Good find! Case closed??

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jauqx
reply to post by Pauligirl

Good find! Case closed??

The location appears to be right, but the article on the launch didn't give a time. But, yeah, most likely case closed.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Image of a R-29RM..would have been quite a sight for anyone else witnessing this.

gr-zero.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
ok... not to get TOO fanatical.. .but wouldnt an astrophysicist be able to tell the difference between a rocket and something strange in the skies?

top topics

join