It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali group with al Qaeda ties threatens Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Somali group with al Qaeda ties threatens Israel

www.edition.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A militant Islamist group associated with al Qaeda has for the first time threatened to attack Israel, far from its normal base of operations in Somalia.

Al-Shabab, which is fighting to control the east African country, accused Israel of "starting to destroy" the Al Aqsa mosque, where standoffs have taken place recently between Israeli police and Palestinians. The mosque is part of the complex that Jews call the Temple Mount and Muslims call Haram al-Sharif.

"The Jews started to destroy parts of the holy mosque of Al Aqsa and they routinely kill our Palestinian brothers, so w
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well this is a little surprising?

I wonder how a group from Somalia will be able to organize an effective assault against Israel.

In any case, I don't like the fact that they are threatening other African countries who are only now starting to pick themseves up and become responsible productive members of our global society.

Abdi said the group had been mutating from a nationalist group into a terrorist organization more like al Qaeda, which was behind the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.

I thought this quote was pretty funny. It's as if they need to keep reminding us about Sept 11th and the "supposed" terrorists who attacked you folks.

This isn't about that however, it's about this particular group extending it's influence in the Middle East in an attempt to "protect" their palestinian brethren.

Any thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

www.edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This strikes me as a cynical PR move to garner sympathy from the Muslim world. I expect this to be the one of many such statements by like-minded Muslim terrorists.

YNet has covered it here.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Well this is a little surprising?

I wonder how a group from Somalia will be able to organize an effective assault against Israel.

I'm wondering that too, its quite a walk or a swim to Israel from Somalia. Plus its not like their pirate boats or even a stolen cargo ship could go there, it would be kind of obvious.

In any case, I don't like the fact that they are threatening other African countries who are only now starting to pick themseves up and become responsible productive members of our global society.

Abdi said the group had been mutating from a nationalist group into a terrorist organization more like al Qaeda, which was behind the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.

I thought this quote was pretty funny. It's as if they need to keep reminding us about Sept 11th and the "supposed" terrorists who attacked you folks.

Its their biggest "achievement" after all.

This isn't about that however, it's about this particular group extending it's influence in the Middle East in an attempt to "protect" their palestinian brethren.

Any thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

Almost every group has tried to extend their influence in the Middle East.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dnevnoi
I'm wondering that too, its quite a walk or a swim to Israel from Somalia. Plus its not like their pirate boats or even a stolen cargo ship could go there, it would be kind of obvious.

I reckon from Somalia you can travel fairly freely back and forth between Egypt - especially as these guys are probably pretty loaded what with all the pirating. So if they were serious they would likely base them selves there.

Dunno what they do after that - me not being an international terrorist or anything.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

One problem - I don't suppose Egypt would take too kindly to foreign terrorist forces setting up base in their country!

Seriously, these guys aren't stupid. Every Islamist terrorist in the world is going to start telling the media they're fighting for "Palestine" soon - it's the rallying call of Jihad.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Well the government there may not be too happy about it - but Egypt is already pretty full of various terrorists and that's a pretty well known fact - the routes are already pretty well established in all probability... And not just to Egypt, loads of other countries too I bet... Hell there are probably already sleeper cells in Jerusalem selling Falafel from street cars...

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Al Qeeda are just a figment of someones imagination

a group called al qaeda may exist somewhere but the fact that they are an international organisation made up of every 'terrorist' under the sun is simply not true.

we all need to remember this.

al qeeda somali pirates attack israel, give me a break

new topics

top topics

join