It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS 120-Discovery UFOs Zero in Coming Closer and Closer- October23,2007

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I found this video interesting , An object appears at a dstance and moves in close to the Discovery like observing it. Could be space debris , however I doubt that it would approach then hold an orbit close to the shuttle.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
youtube is down for maitanance :/

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
interesting video never seen it before the object keeps creeping up on the shuttle from way back watch the video at 3:54 you will see something fly from behind the shuttle into the atmosphere of the earth

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
First time Ive EVER seen youtube be down.

Its not maintenance when the web server doesnt respond at all. Sites always put up a message about maintenance.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
youtubes not down watching videos on there now

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

thanks...... cool one

S&F

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I have a couple of questions that I'm sure someone knows the answers to.

First, doesn't the shuttle actually orbit backwards to prevent debris from impacting the windows?

If so, isn't it possible that the object we're seeing is a satellite or similar object in a fixed orbit so it appears to be approaching the shuttle?

Next, did anyone else see an object appear near the horizen(sp?), just right of center at about 4 minutes into the film?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IchooseFreewill

I noticed there were problems with youtube on other treads, Thanks.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by paraclete1

I agree , could be debris or a satellite but this object came up so fast an seemed to slow down and in fact it reverses towards the end of the clip.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by L.HAMILTON
I found this video interesting , An object appears at a dstance and moves in close to the Discovery like observing it. Could be space debris , however I doubt that it would approach then hold an orbit close to the shuttle.

When it comes to videos of unknown objects, nothing beats NASA's own footage. Videos taken from the ground can be interesting if not downright monotonous and the better the video the faster CGI is considered. But NASA's footage? Precious.

Now, if someone could edit the video and crop it and then emboss it, it could be seen in a better light!

If Oberg saw this thread he just might pop in and call it an ice particle or debris or water dump or something that doesn't reflect what we see. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Look at the right half of the video. Why is the right side of the earth so obscured? Is that a filter or the position of the Sun. I also noticed the blinking UFO appear around the 4 minute mark.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraclete1
I have a couple of questions that I'm sure someone knows the answers to.

First, doesn't the shuttle actually orbit backwards to prevent debris from impacting the windows?

Excellent point. As a rule this is true. It's more a matter of protecting the leading edge RCC thermal panels, but the principle is correct.

If true in this case, what would the motion of the Earth surface features be like? Are they actually like that in this video? What can you then conclude about the shuttle's direction of motion relative to the camera line-of-sight?

If so, isn't it possible that the object we're seeing is a satellite or similar object in a fixed orbit so it appears to be approaching the shuttle?

If so, what sort of object would be expected to be 'rising' in the east, and what is its angular rate? The shuttle orbits at 4 degrees per minute, so is the actual distance transversed by the object similar in magnitude to what would be expected of an object fixed on the celestial sphere.

Given the exact time and location of the video, and using heavens-above, what bright celestial object would be in that direction?

[Oh, sorry, the youtube poster refused to provide that information. He doesn't want you to know exactly when and where the video was made. I wonder if he knows something about what results you'd get, IF you were allowed to know the exact time/location. Better cover it up and count on UFO buffs not to object....]

Next, did anyone else see an object appear near the horizen(sp?), just right of center at about 4 minutes into the film?

The flashing object moving directly away from the shuttle's main engines a few hours after shutting them down, that object?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

What did I tell you all?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical Ed

oh com'on.... the obvious doesn't require any predicting...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcrom901

Ditto!

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skeptical Ed

Ditto!

So I guess the response from dittoheads is, we don't NEED no frigging evidence. Eyes and mind closed! Full speed ahead...

There are serious and talented folks on ATS, let's see what answers they come up with.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
guys, one thing we ca be sure it's not, is spacejusk o debree...
nasa is super careful not to fly the shuttle close to any kind of object that might impact it or even come close.
interestingly there is another object that flies over the athmosphere at a certain point and then goes back in....
these nasa ufo vids are definetly the smoking gun if you ask me, much more than the vids shot from earth, most of which are CG or are hard to define if fake or what

cheers

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by shasa
guys, one thing we ca be sure it's not, is spacejusk o debree...
nasa is super careful not to fly the shuttle close to any kind of object that might impact it or even come close.

If you start out being 'sure', based on misunderstandings of spaceflight operations, you're never in any danger of changing your mind. Suit yourself.

Shuttle video of other satellites is extremely rare, unless it's like Hubble or the ISS when the shuttle is performing a deliberate rendezvous. The 'space junk' that it sometimes has to dodge is usually zipping by at such speeds that it might register only as a streak on a single video frame, if at all.

When investigators refer to 'space junk' in a shuttle video they are referring to stuff off the shuttle itself, such as the ice that flakes off the main engines in the hours after reaching orbit. In the time frame, it turns out, of this video.

But the main bright light, that moves steadily across the field of view -- that's probably not 'space junk' of any kind.

Falsifiable observation: it is moving in angle terms at 'orbital rate', the same angular rate as objects attached to the celestial sphere, and in the same direction as the background stars would.

Can anyone confirm, or refute, that suggestion?

If so, what possibilities does that raise?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

just one simple question.... what is nasa hiding?

ignore if no info....

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

just one simple question.... what is nasa hiding?

ignore if no info....

What I found them hiding, in the mid-1990s, was a decaying safety culture, under political pressure from the White House. I went before a U.S. House committee in 1997 to tesify to that effect, and walked out of my 22-year Johnson Space Center career shortly thereafter. I couldn't stop their cultural decay, and they killed seven more astronauts a few years later.

Hiding anomalous observations during spaceflights? I've always been fascinated by such possibilities, but have never encountered any hints. The most famous 'space UFO' videos all over 'youtube' have prosaic explanations, I've found, some obvious and some subtle, that the eager believers just squeeze their eyes shut to -- as they are doing on the incident here in the OP.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join