It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone noticing the increase in new, aimless threads?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I think part of the reason ATS is getting aimless threads is the fact that ats is getting flooded with new members which are not masters at starting threads.
New members want to get started on the action and forget to read the post on thread making skills.
My Idea of a good OP is
1.Have a catchy subject and to the point title.
2.Include a picture/s.
3.Include more than one supporting web link
4.State both sides of debate if a debate is given.
5.State how you would like people to respond.
6.Only respond to derailers in PM.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I understand what you are saying but that’s just it. I didn’t attack the guy/girl personally. I just said that it was obviously a tree and the post was a "bunch of crap”. I wrote the same way I am righting now. Or at least that’s how I remember it. I was surprised that my post was deleted. It said extreme something or other. I didn’t agree.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

You were in skunkworks, anything goes there so if you like logic you should steer clear of that forum. Common sense.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67

Originally posted by liveandletlive
I responded with harsh words because of the obvious stupidity! I wasnt the only one. Many did the same thing.

Perhaps you would have not lost 500 points and been left with a feeling to never visit ATS again if you had done as the moderator had said in that thread and simply debunked the topic in a civil manner without resorting to what too people these days find so easy to do to each other.

If you ram negative energy onto a person just because they post something “you” judged to be pointless you should not be surprised if you then attract a negative response?

Just an observation, not a slight towards you! Live and let live I say

But if someone deliberately and consistently posts junk, they deserve a bit of verbal abuse. The nicey nicey approach just encourages them.
I always use " Recent Posts " as my way in. It shows what's going on currently. Now for a few days, there's a scare thread about the Ukraine
( about 47 pages currently). I can only assume these are the same posters
who were running that "24/28 Oct Doom " thread which ran for about 37 pages. All these idiots are doing is trying to outscare each other, and there is way too much of this pointless trash on here.
As others have said, I too tend to visit less now, as it's the same old same old too much. Give it a miss for a week, and I guarantee that on your return the top thread with over 30 pages will be another OMG saga.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Now I know. I am new and still learning.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
What you see as aimless threads might not seem aimless to the poster. Just because its a topic of little intrest to you does not make it unworthy of posting.

Wow. I'm really going to have to show you a few aimless threads now. I didn't really want to do this.

Ok here goes:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You know what? You're right. I have no place to judge.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

3 our of 5 of those are in skunk works which is what that forum was built for, and how does any of them make you think government dis-info agents?

And how many threads to do we have going discussing this topic already?

[edit on 11/1/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Lol, exactly.............I didnt make it past the third one. I just cant take it. Thats what I am talking about. Regardless of freedom of expression, some things are just garbage and need to be flagged as such! I didnt say delete, just move somewhere so I dont have to waste my time.

A flag system would be good to at least separate what the majority think is a good post verses a bad one. Its constructive criticism and allows you to refine your posts. I only post when I think its worthy to some degree. I’m sure some wouldn’t agree that my post where any good. One or two might have been doom posts. But if my post where flagged as non interesting or lacking, I would be forced to put more energy into it to make it to the top.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Apparently alot of people have an issue/concern with this topic. Where are the other discussions?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Well, If I'm not mistaken, they were moved to skunk works.

Hey, we all know that we are seeing more junk posts, threads and just plain crap coming out of the forum.
I'll just shutup and do what I can to stop the trolls. Happy?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

reply to post by havok

A flag system would be good to at least separate what the majority think is a good post verses a bad one. Its constructive criticism and allows you to refine your posts. I only post when I think its worthy to some degree. I’m sure some wouldn’t agree that my post where any good. One or two might have been doom posts. But if my post where flagged as non interesting or lacking, I would be forced to put more energy into it to make it to the top.

This is a very good idea. An anti-flag system to label the threads or even posts we, the people of ATS, deem aimless.

You know what though? I think that would dis-band the mods. Ha!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Simple way of doing this, ignore the thread and go to the threads you deem important to you.

Who are you all to decide what can and what cannot be posted on ATS? Weither in your opinion it is crap or not, it is the Mods, Owners of ATS whom decide which should remain and what should be removed to other areas, or deleted.

The topic of discussion might look garbage to you, but at the same time, the topic might be interesting to others. You have the same right as any other member who comes to ATS weither or not to participate in a topic of discussion, not to shoot down the OP. A little commonsense goes along way dont you think!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Apparently alot of people have an issue/concern with this topic. Where are the other discussions?

I understand that, but that doesn't mean we need to have different threads on the exact same discussion.

On the front page of this forum.

Are there really "disinfo agents" on ATS and similar sites

They’re Here! Obama Disinformation Agents Are Actively Posting Against Critics

The Sabotage Of Legitimate Dissent - Provocateurs,Shills and Disinfo Agents

[edit on 11/1/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Hey, we all know that we are seeing more junk posts, threads and just plain crap coming out of the forum.

Yes, I know this.

I'll just shutup and do what I can to stop the trolls. Happy?

I never told anyone to shutup, I merely said if you looked at the front page of this forum you would have seen there was an existing topic on this subject already posted and being discussed.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
On the subject of Threads being similar being posted on ATS, those threads might be on different forums. ATS does not have a rule against doing this. You might not like it.

If you do not, there is a button that you can click, to send ideas, complaints to the mods at ATS, who will look at the ideas/complaint suggestion, and make a decision.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Under ATS rules your not alound to use the alert button for miniscule things like that, and the first thread I listed was in this forum. Oh well, I guess we will just clog the forums with multiple threads on the same topic. Don't really see the point though.

And the rule you stated only applies to news articles.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Simple way of doing this, ignore the thread and go to the threads you deem important to you.

Who are you all to decide what can and what cannot be posted on ATS? Weither in your opinion it is crap or not, it is the Mods, Owners of ATS whom decide which should remain and what should be removed to other areas, or deleted.

The topic of discussion might look garbage to you, but at the same time, the topic might be interesting to others. You have the same right as any other member who comes to ATS weither or not to participate in a topic of discussion, not to shoot down the OP. A little commonsense goes along way dont you think!

It takes time to read through a thread so your idea of "ignoring" the ones I deem unimportant is after the fact. As far "who am I to decide"? I believe I said: "A flag system would be good to at least separate what the majority think is a good post verses a bad one".

A flag system is already in place. Why do we "flag" threads now. According to you, there shouldn’t be a flag system at all.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
This is happening on many sites, the same thing over and over.
Usually you get a bit of this, but today say last 24 hours even its been constant.
Perhaps paid shills, or opportunists trying to gain traffic from these sites to their own.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Do not put words into my mouth, I did not say there should be no flagging off threads. So either show I did or apologise.

Just goes to show, there are those in ATS who would censor everything members posted on here, just to suit thier own needs and interests.

And I can quite see whom they are.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
You're sure getting alot of mileage out of your new, aimless thread about
all the new, aimless threads!

I created one last night!
Not one star. Whaaa!

Its all about the stars apparently!

We already know about all the other good stuff anyway......
Whats left isn't good news.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by dodadoom]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join