It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube Vid: how to field dress a deer/Warning Graphic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Look everyone has their own way to do this... doing is better than watching but I cant bring all of you here to New Mexico... as a guide I also know a lot of people don't do this themselves, they let we guides dress their deer and elk for them... well if the SHTF you'll be on your own and if you don't do it right you'll waste a lot of potential life saving meat...

Now I'm not a real meat cutter... passable at best so if anyone else has some tips, please share

[edit on 1-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
S&F - Thanks for the video - it will go a long way helping those who've never cleaned a carcass before.

I was wondering though - is it possible you find another one that doesn't absolutely RUIN the hide?

He's a butcher - what do you expect - but still - it's really important for people to lean the best way to skin and clean - keeping the hide as intact as possible.

There's a great way to do it - I could how you - but I can't do it with words and I've got no video camera. Or a deer. lol

Thanks

[edit on 1-11-2009 by silo13]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Just a thought. No specific details, but being an avid hunter/fisher/gatherer:

You can pull the hide off most creatures relatively easily with time, patience, and a sharp knife. There are plenty of books, and videos to show you. But, practice is best. Start with small game, i.e., rabbits, squirrels. Then work your way up.

Field dressing is about getting the internal organs out without ruining the edible meat. The best thing to do is learn from someone, watching them, or go out and hunt a deer and try it.

By the way, there are plenty of edible organs too.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

They might find this one better...
Deer Hide Tanning the Old Fashioned Way - Part 1

Remember there's no one right way to do any of this... I defer to the butchers as that's what they do all day long every day...

If you want to do your own search try googling up the phrase "Brain Tanning" the old fashioned way to make buckskin without chemicals I know sounds gross at first but hey you pee on leather to make it white so get use to a little yuck

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Here is a better set of videos for field dressing a deer. They are one of the better ones I found on You Tube.

It's a little graphic, but that's part of the experience and it's also a good skill to know should you ever have to hunt to survive.

This video also shows one good way to remove the anus without getting your meat all crappy
so to speak.

NOTE: If you intend to mount the head do NOT cut all the way up to the neck like this guy does.
Stop at the rib cage, if you need to you can partially skin up wards so you can cut the sternum while keeping the hide intact.

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The second video is much more informative. The first video shows part of the skinning/hanging process, which IMO should be done after eviscerating (gutting) the deer.

"Field dress" is to be done in the field, within moments after the animal's death. The purpose is to remove all the innards, which are full of lots of vile nasty stuff, before the animal has any chance to begin to decompose. Gut them in the field, pack the body cavity with a bag or two of ice and transport to the butcher for processing (or do it yourself at home, if you feel like it).

Personally I don't like busting through the ribcage as the second video shows, it's hard work and hell on your knife. Plus I really like brisket. His deer was bleeding alot during the cut around the anus because it was a gut shot. Always aim for the heart/lung area for a quick, clean kill. Cut through the belly area, with your knife blade up with SHALLOW cuts to make sure you don't pierce the intestines, bladder or stomach. Accidentally cut one of the intestines or stomach and you'll be testing out your gag reflex real quick, not to mention potentially spoiling some meat.

Once you're through the belly, as long as you don't mind getting bloody up to your elbows you can pretty easily reach into the ribcage and cut the asophagus, that's pretty much the last part holding the guts in. Grab and pull. If it doesn't all come out easily in one piece carefully inspect around and cut any remaining connective tissue holding the pieces in. You don't want to pull so hard you break something open.

IMO a big ol' Arkansas Toothpick (bowie knife) is not the best for field dressing. A small, very sharp knife such as a paring knife is easiest to work with. You don't need a big knife, you just need a very SHARP knife.

new topics

top topics

join