It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read Your Sources Before You Post

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
So what's the deal with people not bothering to actually read the sources they use in threads?

Many times now I've come across a thread or post claiming such and such has happened, only to find upon reading whatever source is provided that it has been taken completely out of context, totally misread or not read at all.

Has basic comprehension now been thrown out the window?
Is it really that hard to read through things before passing comment on it?

What's worse is that hardly anyone bothers to fact check the claims of said posters, nor do they bother to read past the OP.

Again, why not, is it so hard??

My god it's frustrating to see that someone has made an effort to post and check facts in a thread only for it to disappear amongst "OMG that's so true! S&F!" posts.

So to reiterate...

READ YOUR SOURCES!!

You look like a fool for not doing it and you make people like me look like a jackarse for pointing it out and correcting you all the time.

/rant

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Sorcha Faal says that you are dead wrong. Also, FWIW: my sources say that you are a government shill.

On a serious note, this has always been and will always be a problem. I just don't see it changing. If people find a source, any source, that validates their opinion.... they will use it.

I haven't been on the ATS side for a while but by all reports, it sounds like it is getting pretty bad eh?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I think people are just too keen to get what they find out there that they don't care if it's real or not.

Quality over quantity I say!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

You do realize that you are on ATS right? Reality takes a back seat here buddy. The only way to fight it would be to hire more shills like yourself to drop the insanity hammer on them. But then that would open another can of worms. Can't win for losing, ya know?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

No there's enough of us out there, we're just the silent minority....ok some of us are quite loud at times but you get what I mean...

...I hope.

Oh and I am digging what you're shoveling, or is that shoveling what you're digging?

[edit on 1/11/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Picking up what I'm putting down....

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

...Putting down what you're picking up...

But seriously, I might just turn into a ZOMG S&Fer
It seems much easier...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Seriously, the phrase "ignorance is bliss" isn't a joke. Life really is easier being ignorant..... trust me.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I understand how you feel, Chad. Seems like people (at least some people) are so eager to start threads and get those precious flags that just about any half way, sloppy researched OP will have to do.
There are still some excellent thread starters, of course, like you, but... I'm not a big fan of the flagbar.

And Karlhungis: Ha! Speak for yourself.
Ignorance is certainly not bliss if you're as curious as I am. Then ignorance is hell. Hell, I tell you!
:bnghd:

I WANT TO KNOW! I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!

[edit on 1/11/09 by ziggystar60]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

It's funny, a place like ATS should be full of people who question everything but it's not.

It's full of people who won't bother questioning something whilst it goes along with their belief.

How bloody ironic!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I think part of the problem is how people who asks questions are met sometimes. There are some posters who find such joy in bashing others for their opinions and theories. They jump straight to the throat at someone who simply comes looking for an answer. It's instant war! No discussion possible, thread topic forgotten during the first couple of pages, and nobody learns anything... What's WRONG with those people?!

Is it really so difficult to simply give someone an answer if you have one, or simply shut the hell up if you don't have anything of value to contribute?

My hero is ArMaP.

He is patient, respectful and always contributes valuable information however "stupid" a question might be. He never ever makes anyone feel bad about themselves for simply wanting to learn. He creates an atmospere where constructive discussion is possible. We should all try to be like this amazing guy. I can't tell you how much I have learned from him! Go ArMaP!

[edit on 1/11/09 by ziggystar60]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

I'll admit I've lost my cool with a few people at times and my replies come off rude from sheer exasperation.

But you're right, Armap does things the right way.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Everyone knows that the more discredited the source is the more true it actually is. The MSM actually discredits 95% of the real news and that's a fact I just made up.

Look here

This article is all about relative sources and it completely backs up my point completely!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Pure brilliance!

I needed that laugh, thanks buddy!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Believe it or not, there's a name for the phenomenon: Dunning–Kruger effect, also called "illusory superiority." You can read about it on Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

There's a meme around that I like that goes something like this: "When you get a BS you think you know everything. When you get your MS you begin to suspect you don't know everything. When you get your PhD you realize you don't know anything at all." It's sad but true; the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

By your theory I must be the most intelligent person in the world for I know nothing!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
But my sources are always wrong. You have to read between the lines to understand what they are actually saying.

Doesn't everyone do that??

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Extremely interesting article!

I've come across a few people exactly like this, In real life as well as online.

Thanks, at least now I know I'm not going mad!

top topics

join