It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Size and Scale

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I stumbled upon this and was absolutely blown away. A big-world we live in indeed! Just check it out and get back to me:

learn.genetics.utah.edu...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Star and Flag for bringing a brilliant illustration to our attention.

Zooming all the way in and then slowly retreating really gives the impression of sizes.

Thank You.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
This is a really cool presentation on the scale of the size of microscopic things.

Starred and flagged!

Interesting indeed.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Thanks, guys.

Yeah, Tayesin - Zooming in was cool enough, but when I zoomed out I was like "Holy crap!".

I'm not really one for the microscopy - My head is in the sky and the stars, but this was just awesome. All the way down to a Carbon Atom...

I believe the Universe in infinite (I'm not too sure about the big-bang deal).
With that in mind, I think it's totally possible that you can zoom in until the cows come home and it's infinite in that direction as well - well beyond the quarks. Just my belief - I could very well be wrong.

Hey - that IS indeed a microcosm that I'm talking about, right?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Wow... looks at all the nasty stuff that's smaller than our red blood cells. This really puts things in perspective!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Very nice find.

It often amazes me how much we take for granted when it comes to the scale of life.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
wow

The Universe is really amazing, in one side we've stars and galaxies, while on the other side we've atoms, yet we're all connected!

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Wow... looks at all the nasty stuff that's smaller than our red blood cells. This really puts things in perspective!

Yeah, that's definitely a little harrowing.

Amazing what goes on right under our noses.

A whole 'nother universe right inside our observable one.

[edit on 11/1/2009 by impaired]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful. I am definitely going to show this to my professor as I am quite sure he will appreciate it. S + F

Thank you OP

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Wow awesome S&F for this find!

What a great demonstration of scale...I wish I could say that it all makes sense now, but I really don't think the human mind is even capable of truly understanding the scope of how small atoms are, to cells, up to coffee beans.

Still though, very very cool graphic design.

NEXUS

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Cool, thanks for sharing this with us. It's important for us humans to be reminded from time to time that importance does not always scale with size. Just because we cannot see something does not mean that it is not important.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
So the question is: Do we live in a microcosm/macrocosm?

Is the Earth just a proton in the Universe? Well, that's obvious, but maybe beyond the observable universe there are creatures or "things" that make galaxies look like protozoans? And could that all repeat? I've always wondered that.

I think I have a pretty open mind, but that would blow it to pieces...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Dude that was awesome. I think you might be right about things getting infinitely smaller as much as things get bigger. Because as long as you have matter you will always be able to split it. It might be beyond human technology but that doesnt mean its impossible.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Maybe the building blocks of atoms are universes in themselves while our universe is a building block of another atom.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
So the question is: Do we live in a microcosm/macrocosm?

Is the Earth just a proton in the Universe? Well, that's obvious, but maybe beyond the observable universe there are creatures or "things" that make galaxies look like protozoans? And could that all repeat? I've always wondered that.

I think I have a pretty open mind, but that would blow it to pieces...

EXACTLY what I have always thought. It really makes so much sense when you put it all together. It's just a crazy world we live in.

Even crazier to think of that possibility though. That would mean we really are all connected, all as one, and that 'God' is everywhere....

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Wow...totally cool. Definitely something to share with family and friends. Be nice to send something fun and cool for a change. Thank you impaired

See ya,
Shea

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Is the Earth just a proton in the Universe?

Takes me back. When i was at NASA (1970s ish) a friend asked if the solar system was just an atom supersized. But the real question is how do our 3/4 dimension universe map into the 11 dimension multiverse?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
They should do one about the universe!

We'd be scrolling all the way to the right to see our little planet

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Great illustration. Thank you S&F.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

It makes you wonder if extra spatial dimensions could actually just be perceived as the "extremely small" parts of our universe. Consequently, this could mean that there are infinite dimensions since one could imagine something smaller and smaller, ad infinitum. Amazing.

I have showed to many people so far. They like it. Greatly educational I think. '

ttyl

[edit on 2-11-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join