It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops: Off-Duty Officer Shoots Man In Washington Heights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Cops: Off-Duty Officer Shoots Man In Washington Heights

www.wpix.com

NEW YORK, N.Y. (WPIX) - An off-duty city cop shot a man Saturday during an altercation in Washington Heights, according to the Police Department. Investigators say the officer was walking down the street, when he got into an argument with a group of young men. That's when one of them allegedly pinned the officer against a parked car, just as another suspect picked up a metal trash can and moved toward him, they said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I don't have much information but according to another news source the cop might have been shooting his mouth off.
We know that area is not the best place to be saying anything or doing anything to start confrontations.
We need a few days for everything to surface, in the mean time this article seemed to be ATS material.

www.wpix.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
From Article- "According to authorities, the officer identified himself as a cop before shooting him in the groin. That suspect is listed in stable condition at a local hospital".

Also From Article- "Cops say they have several suspects in custody, believed to be between 16 and 20- years old."

Ok, let me start off by saying I am the FIRST to say something when cops misbehave, and that is the mindset I got in before reading the actual article. After reading the first part of the article on the thread, I thought to myself that maybe the Cop was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

However: Having read the article, thrown the situation in my head, putting all the aspects of the crime that I have in my head visually, I have come to the conclusion that this Cop is WAYY out of line. I also feel comfortable saying that without knowing WHY the confrontation took place. WHY they got into a confrontation DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is the ACTIONS takin by both the Cop, and the Kids(yes, kids).

There is a group of teenage kids hanging out on their corner or what not, being STUPID teenage kids talkin trash(ornot), and a guy walks by talking his trash(or not). This is when the good old fashioned "Hold him down Ill hit him" tactic comes into play(many of us have been in this situation).
At that time the cop reveals his identity(IMO a little too late to be making such a important revelation) and pulls out his pistol. This is where I dont understand WHY the cop had to shoot a kid in the first place. I would think just by him pulling out his gun and showing his badge would have been enough, but he didnt do that. He then proceeds to shoot this kid IN HIS GROIN, not a shot to protect himself from someone who had HIS life in their hands, but a shot to INJURE, NOT DEFEND. Cops are NOT supposed to be shooting to wound, they shoot to kill, there is NO OTHER reason for a Policeman to use his pistol other than that. If you try to Wound someone, Other people could get harmed due to the lack of not knowing what is going to happen next.Basically, they would be putting other peoples lives in jeopardy. WHY he did this, I dont know. None of the other kids had weapons(besides a trash can) that were life threatening to the officer. One kid pinned him, and the officer had control of his weapon and maintained the situation, but went past the breaking point when it comes to the law if you ask me.
Just two cents.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Exactly the reason this is posted here.

top topics

join