It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Holidays exist so Big Businesses can make tons of money in a short time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
First we have easter, egg production increases and people buy so much that the Businesses making those eggs get like a huge boost in the money they make.

I dont know much about July 4.

Next we have Mothers Day, again, Greetings Card companies make a whole lot of money, same with jewelry stores.

Then we we have Fathers Day, kinda the same as Mothers Day.

Next we have Halloween, the candy companies make so much money its just ridiculous.

Thanksgiving is next, and PEOPLE FEEL OBLIGATED TO GET A TURKEY, and most of them dont even know why people celebrate Thanksgiving, and why it even exists, they just celebrate it for no reason, which makes this world very fake and unreal.

And finally we have christmas.. I dont even know where to begin.

Is there some conspiracy in money making going on here?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Early on, I'd say no. Holidays existed primarily as morale boosters to celebrate the crops coming in or making it through the winter. But, at the point that you have to have a secretaries' day and a bosses' day...it's kinda ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
short answer: yes.

the fourth of july, christmas, halloween, and easter were invented to draw in extra business for the huge multinational corporations.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Independence day the firework stands make good money, along with food stores, and most likely candy companies for all the parades going on.

I think the newer Holidays that started popping up might be angled some what towards businesses making money mostly card companies.

List of other holidays in the states,

Grandparents Day.

Parents Day.

Step Family Day.

Valentines Day.

Sweetest Day.

Boss's Day.

St. Patrick's Day.

I am sure there are more but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Of course quite a few are. Same goes for movies, TV shows, books, and the like. Are they made to tell a story, or are they made to make a profit?

Regardless of the motive, what's wrong with seeing the joy on someone's face when they open a Christmas or Hanukkah gift? Or hearing children laughing and having fun trick-or-treating? People are having fun and enjoying themselves, and that's what counts.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
What's wrong with making a profit?

People like to buy things. People like to sell things.

Do you not like people?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
They weren't invented to make money...they've been hijacked over time...

Christmas celebrates christ's birth, in pagan times it was a solstice festival celebrating the birth of the new year's sun.

Halloween was traditionally a day when the dead walked earth, it became all hallows eve to be when the devil was his strongest, right before all saints day.

Easter was Ostara, which was a fertility festival (spring, get it?) and it turned into Christ rising again with christianity.

July 4th celebrated independence with popping of fireworks, I don't really think this one's been hijacked because people make money from it...

Valentines was Lupricalia in ancient Rome, people would have a day of complete sexual freedom. Regardless of marriage. Christians turned it st. valentines day, for obvious reasons.

St. Patties was St. Patricks celebration, eventually it turned into drunkeness.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
They weren't invented to make money...they've been hijacked over time...

"Hijacked" implies something negative.

Has food also been "hijacked" by grocery stores for profit?

Somehow, I don't think so.

These holidays weren't hijacked by anything except for the human disposition to celebrate them - which includes commerce.

top topics

join