It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Psychology) Question: how to mess up your headspace? Answer: read this book...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The Book?

"Poker without cards - A consciousness thriller" By Ben Mack
where do I get this book?

Right here is a direct link to my copy of the book that i uploaded to my box.net account as a .pdf, the file size is about 1.7mb.

Why might it leave your internal psyche somewhat deranged post-consumption?

I'll let the forward from the book explain that....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5059cf3630bf.jpg[/atsimg]
[above image shows alternate title]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forward
By Joseph Matheny
Dear Reader,
I am, I must admit, somewhat reticent to publish this manuscript as was
requested of me. Since there are no copyright or confidentiality barriers, I
am obliging this request with a modicum of effort and liability on my part. At
least that much is easy. However, I must forewarn you; the book that you
have open before you is not your typical transcription.

These are the facts as I know them: The “author” or compiler of this
work, Ben Mack, did in fact work as a professional transcriber for The
Transcription Company. That much is verifiable. I have contacted Kane'ohe
Hospital and they state that Dr. Fink no longer works there. They would not
verify having ever had a patient named Richard Brenneman Wilson. I have
halted my investigation into this facet of the story at this time since I am
unable to invest any more time tracking this down.

During the course of transcribing this piece from tapes, Ben did much
due diligence and extensive research into many of the ideas discussed in the
enclosed conversations. He tried to ensure the accuracy of these
transcriptions and the ideas expressed by following up on most of the
thought threads espoused herein. When he sent me the original, raw
transcription it included minimal transcriber’s notations. The bulk of these
were later added since there was nowhere to send the completed project.
This notwithstanding he continued to work on the transcription. You see,
although he was paid for his work in advance through The Transcription
Company, there was no client contact information attached to the tapes,
therefore there was no place or person to send in the work to once it was
completed. After obviously being too “assertive” with The Transcription
Company, they began to refuse to return his calls, and eventually stopped
giving him additional projects. This is when he contacted me. He wasn't able
to set the project aside and be done with it. He doggedly continued the project on his own
and continued researching ideas to improve the accuracy
of his transcription.
Some would say he acted as a man possessed or infected.

Here is some of what I now know: During the process of preparing a
transcription of a peculiar hospital meeting (one may argue meta-liaison is a
more fitting term) for hire, Ben was inspired to contact me. In part due to
my public involvement with reporting the details of Ong’s Hat and other
fringe ephemera, Ben believed that I would find this information tantalizing.
Being that I am a bit reclusive, due to the collective, unstable nature of the
denizens dimwit brigades that shuffle the halls of paranormal and occult
subcultures, I am not easy to find. However, Ben made a correct guess that
one Dr. Christopher Hyatt*, an associate of mine, could at least get a
message passed to me. Ben is a graduate of Dr. Hyatt’s Extreme Individual
Institute, which he stumbled across in the process of preparing this
transcription. His journey to and through the EII is another story altogether
and not one I’ll go into here.
* (A note to Dr. Hyatt for that wonderful referral: Va te faire foutre!)

The final files that I received from him included “A Fecundity,” a glossary
that he asked me not to publish. I was confused as to why he would send me
the glossary and then ask me not to include it. After much deliberation, I
have decided not to honor that request. To say that Ben’s behavior borders
on the eccentric or bizarre at times is to understate the case. However, the
protocols of politeness and brevity (not to mention journalistic objectivity)
dictate that I leave my personal judgments in the closet, at least for now. If
the contents of these conversations are as important as Ben seems to feel,
then his comments on these events that are represented in the Glossary also
warrant consideration. Do they not?

I would go one step further and propose that Ben’s comments in fact
demonstrate the effect that the recordings of these “conversations” may have
on certain types of individuals under certain circumstances. I have left intact
a rather rambling, disjointed and paranoid rant that was attached to this
glossary, as way of introduction or explanation, so that you the reader may
get a small taste of what I have had to endure during the course of this
“correspondence” if one were so inclined to classify our interaction as such.
I should have seen it coming. I should have ignored his first email of
introduction. Read this paragraph and judge for yourself:

“It occurs to me that the primary agenda of the powers that be is to induce FAITH.
Faith means you are obligated to not think stuff through—whatever they tell you not
to think through. And, the thoughts they find really threatening they label as insane.
But, if you can't have real faith, at minimum, you are required to take the system
seriously. I take the system seriously. In ten years, they may imprison me for my
ideas. Is this a paranoid fear or a realistic concern? I would fear it less if our
Homeland Security didn't monitor what books I buy or check out from the library.
Please bear in mind that this transcription may be hazardous to your status.”

To Be Concluded Next Post.....!!!

[edit on 31/10/09 by B.Morrison]

[edit on 31/10/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison
To Be Concluded Next Post.....!!!

During the course of our correspondence, Ben had asked that if I gave
the work a title at all, that it be called The Longer Line. Having read the
transcription, as you undoubtedly are about to do also, I disagreed. Since Ben
is indisposed and has left me holding the bag so to speak, I wish upon him
an encounter involving aerial intercourse on an oscillating pastry, if he has
any problem with my decision! After more careful deliberation, I arrived at
the title; Poker Without Cards, a label that was originally created by Mike Caro
for a book he never published (or did he?), yet is for sale on Amazon. Since
it appears to me that Ben is overwhelmed with the contemplation of
ambiguous power structures, I found this title fitting. Since Mr. Caro never
published said book (or did he?) I did not feel as if the title were being
‘borrowed”. If anything, it is shared.

If it seems like I’m bitter about this responsibility, I am. Ben sent me a
modest sum of money, with the request that I publish the transcription as I
saw fit. Since there is nowhere for me to return the fee, I feel obliged.
However, let me add that I feel obliged the way a person who is being
squeezed by the Mafia to do a contract hit or have his family whacked feels
obliged. So, this is how I see fit, Baiseur De Mère!

I have also taken the liberty of setting up a forwarding email address to
address all correspondence regarding this work, since I personally do not
want to be contacted about it, in any way. The aforementioned account
forwards to the last known working email address that I have for Ben. The
last time I heard from him, he said he was heading to the New Jersey Pine
Barrens. Why he would do such a thing is beyond me since there is nothing
left there but history.

Now let me take a moment to make something perfectly clear: I do not
want to be bothered, contacted, harangued or otherwise harassed in any way,
in part or in whole, regarding this document and the contents therein. This is
NOT a game. Those who persevere and transgress my declared boundaries
on this will be hunted down and trampled like the small child on the street in
RLR’s Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. If you do not know what I am referring to, I
suggest you read that book or at least consult the cliff notes. Maybe you
could “Google” it.
Since you have gotten this far, I suppose you are going to read the
transcript. Far be it from me to try and stop you.
That is all.
Joseph.Matheny.Com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the
manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of
words, you can control the people who must use the words."
Philip K. Dick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy!

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I tend to think this story is real. based on truth.
I want to know what YOU think...

any thoughts? comments...questions??

0_o?

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I think it reads like a mediocre work of fiction. It resembles a story put forth in the format of a transcript, and certainly has story like elements, like the introduction of the main character "Bucky". There seems almost too much information, it does not flow like a "normal" conversation, at least not compared to other transcripts I've read. Added to that the fact the author explicitly avoids open critisism, well.

Surely if this were factual, the real people mentioned would be able to substantiate the story (like the spitting in the mouth incident)?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Interesting read, but I can't get past Dr William Fink's responses, they are so childish and lacking in open minded insight.

This will take me a good day or two to get through ^____^

Cheers OP.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

I hear what you're saying & they're valid comments but if hypothetically the transcript 'supposedly' delivered to Joseph by Ben is an attempt at fiction by the deranged B.mack himself, I still believe that A) ben mack existed, B) joseph is legit also & the account of their interactions is true also, Joseph name drops chris hyatt author of another mind twisting book i'm thinking of uploading here, & the institute+hyatt are real, although i can only assume for the rest.

in answer to your question, yes if this were a real story then probably if these people were using there real names & were firstly findable & secondly willing to be contacted, i probably could ask them to confirm the validity of this book, however i'm asking the ATS community instead as for one thing i expect i'll get more interesting responces.
also even if the names of the people mentioned in the transcript are fake, that does not immediately determine whether the story is fake as well.

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

BTW, if this piece of literature is a 'mediocre' mind-fritzing psychological carnival ride (so to speak) then what would you recommend as an alternative & superior read?

also what about those transcripts you mentioned reading, any of interest/relevence?

[edit on 1/11/09 by B.Morrison]

[edit on 1/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

I'm not saying the story is fake, I'm saying it reads like fiction. It does not present itself to be factual, though there does appear to be factual elements. Even if the events did not occur as described, there is still a lot to be learnt from the reading. It is as if the author set out his talking points then formed the story around those, the talking points stick out like a sore thumb and seem somewhat out of place, as if they are purely for the readers benefit. I must admit though, I'm only about half way through. If nothing else it is, interesting.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

I think you'll find its written the way it is deliberately- but perhaps the conversation was structured around these talking points for the benefit of another 'player' asides from yourself, there are clever twists & such....the 2nd half of the book pulls the rug out from under the first half...or more like the last 1/4....but still...hold out...its worth it...

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

[edit on 5/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I did finish it in the end, my previous post was made right before I'd reached that "particular" part in the middle. I am not a fan of that method of persuasion, I think it detracts from the over all point, despite the intention to the contrary, and the painting of the reader as being an idiot for taking that standpoint does not help. The book went downhill from the middle, becoming almost predictable. It's a poorly thought out story that uses misdirection in an attempt to prove, well I don't know what really, it fails.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well considering it says "A Consciousness Thriller" right on the front, you should bet it is a work of fiction. Most fiction books now say, a novel, a tale of horror, or something along those lines. This is especially true for stories that might be considerred truthful when they aren't.

I noticed it starting after it came out that guy on Oprah lied and called his fictional book an autobiography. I think it was called "A million little pieces" or something like that.

A better question is why are you boot legging books that you can buy at Amazon?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
I did finish it in the end, my previous post was made right before I'd reached that "particular" part in the middle. I am not a fan of that method of persuasion, I think it detracts from the over all point, despite the intention to the contrary, and the painting of the reader as being an idiot for taking that standpoint does not help. The book went downhill from the middle, becoming almost predictable. It's a poorly thought out story that uses misdirection in an attempt to prove, well I don't know what really, it fails.

Fair enough, thanku for ur input, I admit i have not read the whole book, just as much of the beginning i could bear, and the last 1/4. the last 1/4 points to the deterioration of the doc interviewing the guy would be an interesting & somewhat psychedelic read...i guess I should make a point of finishing the whole book before recommending it to others.

-B.M

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
Well considering it says "A Consciousness Thriller" right on the front, you should bet it is a work of fiction.

should i?

Most fiction books now say, a novel, a tale of horror, or something along those lines.

oh...really? who woulda thunk it!

This is especially true for stories that might be considered truthful when they aren't.

ah, is that the hot tip from the experts?

I noticed it starting after it came out that guy on Oprah lied and called his fictional book an autobiography. I think it was called "A million little pieces" or something like that.

ah so your expertise knowledge is based on a singular episode of Oprah you watched sometime that featured a book whose title you aren't certain of.

That actually was the name of the book tho, i was just making a point.
I remember that guy, forget what he said 'broke him into a million little pieces' but its was the kind of thing you definitely shouldn't be lying about.

A better question is why are you boot legging books that you can buy at Amazon?

A.)for it to be boot legging i'd need to be making a profit
B.)the nature of the book itself indicated to me that perhaps NO ONE was making a profit from this book, as the author ben mack has dissapeared.
C.)you would have known that yourself had you read the book rather than come at me with a bunch of pretentious criticisms, but i suspect you didn't read the book as you failed to make any comments to that effect in your reply.
D.)I am sharing my own copy of the book with others for free, I don't know if there is anything wrong with what i'm doing, but I am taking strides to find this out from the proper authority.
E.)If that was your idea of a 'better' question, perhaps you could keep them to yourself.

I have 4-5 other books i would like to upload here & i've asked the ats mods if this would be ok & am awaiting a reply, I have used this thread as a reference in the question so if there IS officially an issue with these kinds of threads, I will remove them, no harm done. Usually I would put a disclaimer on things like this, at the least, to deter comments like yours.

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

[edit on 7/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Actually all you asked is what we thought. I told you what I thought about it being true or not. My thoughts come not from a single episode of Oprah, but from being a long time reader and having a friend that is an editor for a publishing company.

I refrenced the Oprah incident because it was really the turning point. If you take a walk through Borders or Barnes and Noble you will notice it is common practice.

Of course you could just visit Amazon and read the product description.

Poker Without Cards is fiction framed as nonfiction, presented as a transcription of 6 meetings between a psychiatrist, Dr. William Fink, and a brand strategist, Howard Campbell. Howard Campbell is #ing with Dr. Fink's perception of the world. Campbell presents Buckminster Fuller's Cosmography, as only a character in Fuller's work could do.

You would also see that Ben Mack has written three other books and never disappeared. His latest book was printed two years after Poker Without Cards.

Also according to federal law you do not have to be making a profit. If you are distributing some one else's intellectual property without their consent it is bootlegging. Basically you are potentially costing them sales. So, whether you profit or not you are considered to be doing damage to the work's income potential. That is why it is illegal.

I answered the question you asked. I told you if I thought it was true or not. I even explained why. If my contradictory view hurt your feelings... I'm not going to apologize. If you wanted a book report you should have said so.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
Actually all you asked is what we thought. I told you what I thought about it being true or not. My thoughts come not from a single episode of Oprah, but from being a long time reader and having a friend that is an editor for a publishing company.

I refrenced the Oprah incident because it was really the turning point. If you take a walk through Borders or Barnes and Noble you will notice it is common practice.

Of course you could just visit Amazon and read the product description.

Poker Without Cards is fiction framed as nonfiction, presented as a transcription of 6 meetings between a psychiatrist, Dr. William Fink, and a brand strategist, Howard Campbell. Howard Campbell is #ing with Dr. Fink's perception of the world. Campbell presents Buckminster Fuller's Cosmography, as only a character in Fuller's work could do.

You would also see that Ben Mack has written three other books and never disappeared. His latest book was printed two years after Poker Without Cards.

Also according to federal law you do not have to be making a profit. If you are distributing some one else's intellectual property without their consent it is bootlegging. Basically you are potentially costing them sales. So, whether you profit or not you are considered to be doing damage to the work's income potential. That is why it is illegal.

I answered the question you asked. I told you if I thought it was true or not. I even explained why. If my contradictory view hurt your feelings... I'm not going to apologize. If you wanted a book report you should have said so.

[edit on 8-11-2009 by MikeNice81]

HA! fair enough.
learn something new everyday it would seem.
I'll take down the links.
Its a shame too because I had wanted to share 'the psychopaths bible', 'the black book Vol.I&II' both by Chris Hyatt and "William Reich in hell' by R.A.Wilson, which are all good reads, but I won't be now
at the least, I can recommend anyone read them whose interested in the more rarely found points of view in society, psychology & consciousness in general, or understanding yourself.

thread closed basically. nothing left to discuss, all questions answered.

To everyone that posted,
thanks for participating in this epic failure of a thread.
Bahahaha! better luck next time i guess....

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

[edit on 8/11/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison

thread closed basically. nothing left to discuss, all questions answered.

That said...... this thread is CLOSED.

new topics

top topics

join