It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration moves to stop release of classified information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Obama administration moves to stop release of classified information

www.edition.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- The Obama administration invoked the state secrets privilege on Friday in a lawsuit pertaining to government eavesdropping intended to intercept terrorist communications, and one privacy advocacy group called the decision "incredibly disappointing."

Attorney General Eric Holder issued a statement saying the government was making the move "to protect against a disclosure of highly sensitive, classified information that would irrevocably harm the national security of this coThe California lawsuit challenges the warrantless wiretapping program begun by the Bush administr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

In his statement, the attorney general said that the Department of Justice had used a new process designed to ensure that the privilege is used only when absolutely necessary, but had determined there was no way for the case to proceed without exposing intelligence sources and methods.

They must mean there was no other way to move forward without putting our foot in our mouth. I think that those new "processes" should be given to the people so we may see exactly what has "changed" since Obama took office.

"It turns out that 'change we can believe in' hasn't really resulted in any change at all when it comes to government secrecy," Bankson said.

Quote of the day anybody?

~Keeper

www.edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
By National Security, do they mean "it might make us look bad, so cover it up"?

What happened to the Transparency, Obambam?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Just how much can they put under that "National Security Umbrella"? There is a lot of secrets in this Government,considering there is a "no offical state secrets" law.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Or Obama made a useless promise since reality doesn't allow do overs
Obama prostituted himself to the American people, telling them a whole lot of BS. Now that he is in office he is learning that being the potus means somethings have to be kept hidden. Sorry but transparency is a pipe dream. As it is the wheel keep getting reinvented, and it requires re-reinventing it.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Yup I agree, I think he thought he could go about lying since that was what everybody else had done in previous administrations.

I guess campaigning on "change" really wasn't a very smart move.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
does this have anything to do with disclosure because if it does say good bye to that.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IchooseFreewill

You bring up a very good point.

The answer is no, this has nothing to do with disclosure, but they could potentially pull the same stunt if it was entirely about disclosure.

They could simply state that it would be a matter of national security (which I assume they do already) and leave us in the dark.

Good point!

~keeper

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Obama is just Bush 3.0. He doesn't want people to know how seriously the eavesdropping program goes into because he fears that it'll harm our security if the "terrorists find out". Who are the terrorists? Why is it so important this remains hidden? Looks like there will be no change from the previous administration. All that hope was for not.

top topics

join