It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pavegen taps pedestrians for power in East London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
www.engadget.com...

Pavegen, for example, can be set in public walkways to generate as much as 2.1 watts of electricity per hour from the footsteps of grizzled pedestrians

This sounds like a hell of an idea. Imagine if all sidewalks were replaced with these. It would be expensive but the amount of power it would generate would be well worth the cost.

I'm not too sure of how it works. but if they do what they are described as doing then i think its a great step for renewable sources.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Nice find, and maybe a nice niche producer. I do wish I could find out more specifics about this system, however. I checked out your link, plus I visited http:www.pavegen.co.uk and was unable to find out more than the following:
  • A Pavegen unit can put out 2.1W per hour under certain conditions. I cannot find out what those conditions (i.e. number of footsteps on it) are.

• A Pavegen unit can recharge completely in 5 hours at a busy shopping center. Again, I have no idea what their exact definition of 'busy' is and there is no mention of the charge capacity of a unit.
What I would like to know is the following:
  • What typical traffic usage is anticipated to be the baseline for specifications?

• What is the coverage size of a unit? (It appears to be approximately 4 ft².)

• What voltage output is produced?

• What is the charge capacity at this voltage?

• What is the power output per average footstep?

• How much does a Pavegen unit cost?

• What are the installation requirements for a Pavegen unit?
Until I get these questions answered, I am wary. It could either be a ripoff attempt (impractical to accomplish anything other than get money for the company), or it could be a decent niche production for low-power apps as I mentioned earlier. Either way, I'm afraid I don't see this doing very much to make a dent in traditionally-produced power usage. It's more of a novelty.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 10/31/2009 by TheRedneck]

CX

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I agree that there are lot more answers needed before we can shout about how great this would be, but the general idea is fantastic IMO.

I wonder if the energy taken from each step is the same regardless of the person's weight? Would a heavier person give more energy?

As well as on the pavements, imagine having these imbedded in the roads like cats eyes?

In your home to maintain your own energy supply.

CX.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I saw something like this some months ago on Euronews.

I think it was a night-club (or whatever they call those things where people go for dancing and ear extremely loud music
) that had a dance-floor with a system like this, so while the people danced they were helping the owners pay the electricity bill.

new topics

top topics

join