It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long-term use of mobile phones 'may be linked to cancer'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Long-term use of mobile phones may be linked to some cancers, a landmark international study will conclude later this year.

By Martin Beckford and Robert Winnett
Published: 8:00AM BST 24 Oct 2009
A £20million, decade-long investigation overseen by the World Health Organisation (WHO) will publish evidence that heavy users face a higher risk of developing brain tumours later in life, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

The conclusion, while not definitive, will undermine assurances from the government that the devices are safe and is expected to put ministers under pressure to issue stronger guidance.

“I am therefore globally in agreement with the idea of restricting the use by children, though I would not go as far as banning mobile phones as they can be a very important tool, not only in emergencies, but also maintaining contact between children and their parents and thus playing a reassurance role.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

This has been an ongoing concern for some time, I am personally concerned for young people, especially teenagers who use cell phones as a group more than any other.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Couldint agree more, I swear my little brother is getting dimmer and dimer since he got that phone, and my mother talks for hours every night on it and now suffers severe ear problems, the science it seems is inconclusive, but really I cant see them being anything other than dangerous, at least in the long run.

It sjust a shame we rely so heavily on them in todays world, oh well, get your self a nice handsfree kit people.!!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Outlawstar

Hopefully you can show this article to your Mom and little brother, don't know if it will help but it can't hurt, I don't have a cell phone, my daughters think I should, always tell them sure if you want to pay the monthly bill.
The good news is they do use speakers opposed to holding the phone to their ear.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
The good news is they do use speakers opposed to holding the phone to their ear.

Given my background in electronics I've always suspected there could be a problem, but the solution is SO SIMPLE, and it's what you just said. Even my ancient cell phone and most others at least come with a jack to plug in a headset so you don't have to hold the phone right next to your head, and that's probably what causes the risk to the head because of the electromagnetic radiation from the antenna.

And the more modern phones have the wireless or bluetooth headsets available, however those have their own transmitter and receivers, but they operate at a much lower power level so hopefully are safer than holding the phone up next to your head.

I wear my cell phone on my belt so at least if I get a tumor from the antenna, it will be in my abdomen where it can be cut out, but when you get the tumor inside your skull, that's a place where you really would prefer to avoid surgery, and if it's deep enough inside your brain you may be partially lobotomized by the time they cut it out if they even can.

So everyone who wants to reduce risk should use a headset for their cell phone and not hold the phone up to their head. And there will be people that use a cell phone for 90 years and never have a problem just like there are some pack a day smokers who smoke their whole lives and never get lung cancer. It's all a matter of risk reduction, no guarantees.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I wear my cell phone on my belt so at least if I get a tumor from the antenna, it will be in my abdomen where it can be cut out, but when you get the tumor inside your skull, that's a place where you really would prefer to avoid surgery, and if it's deep enough inside your brain you may be partially lobotomized by the time they cut it out if they even can.

Good grief Arbitrageur I certainly hope that doesn't happen to you, I don't have to worry about it since I don't have a cell phone.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Long term use? we gotta save the youth!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I'm cutting back the minutes on my cell phone usage to the bare minimum, only for emergencies and when I have no other options. I still use text some, but either way, I've had a gut feeling for years that frying your brain on EM waves just somehow wasn't good for it.

...even the WHO says so

NEXUS

new topics

top topics

join