It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama >>>Aka Michelle Lavaughn Robinson

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Existing thread on Michelle's Thesis

Notice the quotation marks in this external quote. I don't know how many times I have warned: When just SOME of the words are surrounded in quotation marks, BE WARY!

Here is the actual quote, from page 2 of her thesis.

"Regardless of the circumstances underwhich I interact with Whites at Princeton, it often seems as if TO THEM, I will always be Black first and a student second."

Michelle Obama Thesis - Part 1

You don't care what the thesis REALLY says, though, do you? You don't want to take the time and trouble to read the thesis for yourself and find out what it's about. As long as you can slam the Obama's about racial stuff, that just makes you all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it?

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

Thank you so much for posting that -- I was about to do it myself, then I saw someone had the sense to do so already.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaisyAnne

Had you took the time to read the entire post before replying half cocked you would of saw that was addressed.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Each of my posts have been about Michelle's thesis or Barack's thesis or to answer a question posed to me. I fail to see how that's derailing a thread about Michelle's thesis...

It was exactly 13 posts in when you first (and you were the first) to take the thread off topic with this reply

Notice the quotation marks in this external quote. I don't know how many times I have warned: When just SOME of the words are surrounded in quotation marks, BE WARY!

your first words!
what does that have to do with the thesis?
nothing,it was an accusation that I was trying to mislead the readers. when in fact it was you that are deliberately derailing the thread.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Heh, you know you're in the 21st century when white society cries "racism".

You guys aren't seriously that concerned about it, are you?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
It was exactly 13 posts in when you first (and you were the first) to take the thread off topic with this reply

Oh, I'm sorry! I was supposed to just take everything in your post as fact and comment on that, right? Well, now that I know that, let me try again... How's this?

Oh, yes! That Michelle Obama she sure is a racist! Oooh boy! How does she get away talking about white folk like that? How dare she want to help other black people! What a racist she is! She should be put in her place, I'll tell you! She's racist and so is that husband of hers! And I bet their kids are little racists, too! How's that? Better? Is that more of what you were looking for?

This thread started off with a misquote from Michelle's thesis. I corrected it with my first post and you're pissed about it. Too bad.

Your first words were:

Does this sound racist to you?
PLEASE READ THE THESIS

Don't you wish you had taken your own advice and READ THE THESIS before you started this race-baiting thread???

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Wow, musta hit a nerve, settle down you win.I see your not the forgiving type how un obama of you.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

You said pretty much what i was going to say. I ACTUALLY read the thesis and not only did i find it informative, it is good. I didn't know her thesis was a sociology paper, its good...a very interesting topic.

Folks just love to use the racist card nowdays, it guarantees looks

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

You know,BH it would be nice if you could do what you ask others to do.Put the shoe on the other foot and see how it feels.What if Laura Bush would have said I will use present and future resources to benifit the white community first and foremost.

LOL, what are you talking about, the shoe already has been on the other foot!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I was forced to the back of the busabout 15 years ago. But it's because the middle school bus driver assigned it to me.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by thomasc83]

[edit on 1-11-2009 by thomasc83]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thomasc83

Back in the 70's when I went to High School everybody wanted to be in the back of the bus. You could get away with much more there and it showed you were "cool".

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
So, this topic consists of 3 quotes, 2 of them mined and misquoted, the 3rd not being actually racist. And you say Benevolent Heretic is playing semantics? Ok. If that tiny little leaving out is just playing semantics, and doesnt change the meaning, you owe Benevolent Heretic all your money. Or did you not say in this very thread:

I am obligated to utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit the one who plays semantics and skirts the actual issues. Your good enough to get paid.

Just semantics eh?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Since this is supposedly a conspiracy theorist site....

Who forced taxes without representation upon the American colonists ?

Who forced the native people onto "Indian Territory" at gunpoint ?

Who forced income taxes upon the American people even though the US Constitution prohibited ?

I substitute "whitey" with TPTB and it all makes considerably more sense to me.

For we are all slaves of the system created by the PTB.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by debunky

There is also a link to a thesis titled;

Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community

how can I not ask if it's racist.
But you in your infinitesimal wisdom chose to focus on my punctuation as opposed to the content of the thread.That's what always happens when the facts aren't on your side.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Oh more "valuable" contributions to the thread, let's make it about Bush how juvenile.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

There is also a link to a thesis titled;
Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community
how can I not ask if it's racist.

If you had READ the thesis at your link or even looked up the quotes to see if they were valid, you could have saved yourself a lot of embarrassment. Just do it next time. Or you can be SURE someone (like me) will be there to do it for you. If you're going to accuse someone of something, make sure it's true.

And as far as the title being racist... I'm not sure you know what racist means... The title, "Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community", indicates no racism of any kind. Just because the word "Black" is there, doesn't make it racist. I don't know where you get such an idea. The study of black people going to what was considered a "white college" brings about some very interesting sociological data. It's like studying a group of Wall Street investors who go to live in Alaska's wilderness for a few years to see how their attitudes and beliefs might change over the years. There's nothing racist about it at all.

If you had read the thesis, you'd know a lot more. And if you had searched ATS you'd know that there have been several threads about it already and you could have learned something before jumping in to try to make Michelle (and Barack) look like racists. But it's CLEAR that was your goal.

Also please feel free to add any racist comments you might find from her or "barry"

Sorry, you failed. And it's no one's fault but yours. For not doing a few minutes of research. Just do it next time.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

BH let me start clarifying a few things said by you in what i believed to be response to me. i'll just start from the begining. i'm doing this because from what i have seen on ATS you are an intelligent being working for a cause, and two seemingly different view points understanding each other goes a long way.

i did not want to waste my time on yet another thing based on race when but quite simply, i feel i heard it all before.

and i took offense to someone who has no idea who i am assuming one thing or another about the way i think.

I will drop the klansmen question, as I am unsure as to how to word this. once i get it right, i'll ask you again. my bad.

my point in this thread is any focus on race the way mrs and mr obama, jesse jackson..the list goes on and on hurts the cause more then anything else. (and clarify: i do not wish the obama's to fail. we NEED them to suceed as a country. i could care less if they have a lack of melanin or not)

i'm curious as to your thoughts on that. i get we are not in a perfect world, but do YOU think we should or should not, in this day and age where personally i think we should be past this all. Maybe not when the obama's were in college, but certainly by now?

and i'llbe the first to say i probably derailed this more than anyone else..other than that racial rant by whoever up there. and i did so because i find the OP focusing on mrs obama's racial aspect of the paper to be just as annoying as the paper itself. i was trying to use a little argument trick to hopefully get him to agree with me, and by proxy, logically drop his stance.

i guess it didnt work though.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I did read the thesis.I found it steeped in racial content with comparisons to how blacks assimilate when they spend time with white people and vice versa.Well here are some random quotes (thewhole thesis is rife with them);

These experiences have made it apparent to me that the path I have chosen to follow by attending Princeton will likely lead to my further integration and/or assimilation into a White cultural and social structure that will only allow me to remain on the periphery of society; never becom- 3 ing a full participant. This realization has presently, made my goals to actively utilize my resources to benefit the Black community more desirable.

At the same time , however, it is conceivable that my four years of exposure to a predominately White, Ivy League University has instilled within me certain conservative val- ues. For example, as I enter my final year at Princeton, I find myself striving for many of the same goals as my White classmates–acceptance to a prestigious graduate or profes- sional school or a high paying position in a successful cor- poration. Thus, my goals after Princeton are not as clear as before.

I think the facts speak for themselves and anyone who read the thesis would agree with me and realize you are just a distraction!

The idea of separationism and pluralism (both cultural structural and social structural) is also discussed by Bill- ingsley (1968) who believes there is a need for Blacks to build up their own communities; define themselves by new “Black” standards different from the old White standards; and exercise power and control over their own institutions and services within the Black community.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
iamsupermanv2, to answer your post, very little of what I have said in this thread was in response to you. I found your posts mostly interesting and open-minded. I have no problem with most of what you said.
I try to be clear about to whom I am responding.

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
do YOU think we should or should not, in this day and age where personally i think we should be past this all. Maybe not when the obama's were in college, but certainly by now?

Here's what I think about that.
I REALLY wish we were "past it all". And I have great hope that someday soon, we will, for the most part, be past racism. I think some racism will ALWAYS exist, but Obama's election has fanned the flames of racism in this country. In other words, people are talking about it. I think that's good. Just as in my marriage and friendships, I believe that if there's stuff to talk about, then I don't believe in shoving it under the rug or pretending everything is OK.

As far as being past it all, I don't believe that's for me to say. I'm white. I have never been black. I can't say how it is to be black in America. I have never experienced it. So, for ME, I don't believe that I'm in any position to say that it's time to move on past racism. Discrimination still happens every day. Black people face racism and discrimination every day. Who am I to tell them to "get over it"? They will "get over it" when they are no longer discriminated against. They will get over it when they no longer face racism as they walk down the street or enter a store. And they will let ME know when it's over. I don't have the authority to say, "It's over now, let's move on".

I see racism as a terrible injury to a group of people (black people, in this case). Because I'm not black and cannot possibly know how the injury is healing or how much it hurts, it's not my place to tell them that they're all better now and should start acting differently. THEY have suffered racism and discrimination. THEY will say when it's time to move on. And with help and "rehabilitation" from people like Bill Cosby and Barack Obama (who I think ARE over racism) the black community will rise up and come into their own and start feeling their strength and equality and then we will know that it's over and time to move on.

But it would be the height of arrogance to assume that I, a white person, can tell black people that their pain and suffering is over now and let's get on with it. The best I can do it to treat everyone with equal respect and talk as I have been in this thread to maybe help others understand what I do.

I hope that answers your question.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

They will get over it when they no longer face racism as they walk down the street or enter a store.

what if they are the ones perpetuating racism?Can you honestly tell me there is no black to white racism?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Hehe, i couldn't help myself really! BH is doing a good job at eating your lunch. And your response just highlights what she discussed. I never even mentioned Bush, wow, that's how you respond to questions by bringing up points not relevant to the conversation?

Good job BH

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join