It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution Artificial/Natural Selection.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Alright I got a new book in, and it's hardcover, so that thing on the outside of the book, (not sure what it's called...?) Listed me a statistic, (yeah yeah yeah, 76 percent of statistics are made up W/E).

The Book is "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence For Evolution."

In 2008, a Gallup poll showed that 44 percent of Americans believed God had created man in his present form within the last 10,000 years. In a Pew Forum poll in the same year, 42 percent believed that all life on earth has existed in its present form since the beggining of time.

From the Book.

Artificial Selection

Natural Selection

Now for some it's easy to say, well evidence of evolution doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, but primarily religious followers or dictators of religion, will find it goes against fundamentals.

But still with mental Gymnastics, you can succeed in your thinking.

Here is a stat, guess where America is at.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b03c872ab65.jpg[/atsimg]

This chart depicts the public acceptance of evolution theory in 34 countries in 2005. Adults were asked to respond to the statement: "Human beings, as we know them, developed from earlier species of animals." The percentage of respondents who believed this to be true is marked in blue; those who believed it to be false, in red; and those who were not sure, in yellow.

A study of several such surveys taken since 1985 has found that the United States ranks next to last in acceptance of evolution theory among nations polled. Researchers point out that the number of Americans who are uncertain about the theory's validity has increased over the past 20 years

I can't seem to understand this, but yet can.

Many americans, and other nations, mock the USA for being Dense, Dumb and Ignorant, but hey, evolution wise, we're on par with Turkey,

If you can convince almost the half of 300 million + people that we've all sprung up as we are today, 10,000 years ago, well, you can convince anyone, of anything.

I can't imagine though out of all the things we can see currently from artificial evolution, that natural evolution seems improbable.

That not only is it deemed improbable but sided with absolutely false, instead of the medium of unsure.

For me, evolution is the football player, that no one believes can help win in the big game, he trains everyday, and struggles, and gives up the girls and the booze, and strives and strengthens daily, for the big game, just hoping he is allowed to play, he conquers all the tests, but still isn't seen as a valuable member, he tries harder and harder.

But still the team decides to pick the guy who is popular, and whether or not the game is won or not, is yet to be seen. I'm pushing for the underdog.

I digress though.

Evolution is available in modern times, Natural or Artificial, why is it so hard for people to accept it in modern times.

If you watch the video with Wendy Wright, (Concerned Women For America (Segregation Even in her workplace lol)).

You'll notice the same thing, she repeatedly asks Dawkins for EVIDENCE of evolution, and he repeatedly answers her with examples, places and things to go to, to see it take place, and gives a plethora of evidence, but if you watch her closely, she seems to have a mental blockade, that stops her from believing this, 'The I don't Want to Believe This', activity in the brain.

Evolution is a fairly stable ability, it will happen, it is happening, and more importantly it will happen.

With god aside, we can presume what a human will look like in a thousand years, or perhaps a million years.

Evolution, is True, it is a fact.

I'm shocked at how many don't believe it at all (Mainly the US
).

How can it be, that so many, a quite large amount of people, do not believe in evolution?

I've tried to narrow it down to:

A) Ignorance
B) Arrogance
C) Denial.

A- People who don't know enough, and find shelter in a easy, and fantasy-like answer.

B- Mixes in with C, but the person who thinks they are above all other animals (yet wishes them to have the greatest of life, just not above them) the person who doesn't want to believe they came from a lower form.

C- Mixes with B, of course, within the proof, likes the idea of a created person, rather then a evolutionary process. Santa Claus factor, -Would rather believe a mystical man delivers presents to good children, then to believe parents of a budget came home and placed them under the tree in a strikingly similar autograph of a divine being-.

To sum this up, people, don't want evolution, even if it is plausible through, a 'God did it' Idea, because that can simply stall (if only momentarily) the budgets, of preachers, Imams and such.

Or they can ruin, or at the very least shake a foundation, of a person.

A Younger person, would be more likely to accept evolution then an elderly person.

IMO the younger person, hasn't based decades of their lives, based on God, a younger person has the unique experience to see it all, and (evolutionary wise) pick the one that is seen as the best answer.

I'll leave this now, with a few questions, to those who feel my opinions differ amongst others.

Why do so many not accept Evolution?

Why would Evolution, hurt your belief?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I think an opinion poll like this is interesting but a mostly irrelevant due to most peoples opinions not truly being backed by research.

I think the doubts over evolution come from the numerous holes in the theory, and the fact that man himself has "evolved" so far ahead of what he needs to survive on the planet. Evolution based on the evidence doesint seem to apply to man, and wheres the evidence of a transitional species, darwin himself noted the mysterious lack of such creatures in his own origin of species.

People are very justified in doubting how evolution has been explained, I think people are wrong to immedietly assume that "God"( a la, from the bible etc) just created everything, however I think there is a third factor here that still needs to be found, and my personal feeling is that the key to evolution is consiousness, particularly in relation to quantum mechanics!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Outlawstar

Particularly you.

What are the holes in evolution?

Consciousness, well obviously the mind with an intricate brain, and thought process, must need a thought process, to me, intelligence is tantamount to the ability for a cheetah to run fast.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by Outlawstar

Particularly you.

What are the holes in evolution?

Consciousness, well obviously the mind with an intricate brain, and thought process, must need a thought process, to me, intelligence is tantamount to the ability for a cheetah to run fast.

If you havint researched some of the holes in your own believed theory, then what hope is there.

Like the lady kept saying and dawkins kept dodging, there is NO evidence of transitional species, as Darwin himself wrote, there is no solid evidence we even evolved from apes, monkeys etc, there is no explanation for the disappearance of Neanderthal and the sudden subsequent arrival of Cro-Magnon as they are non-sequitar species, wheres the transition? where did they come from 35,000 years ago?

Why does Neanderthal man seem to become more primitive throughout his time before his abrupt dissapearance, and these are only the basic issues, I think the lady brings up a good point in the kind of mindset evolution can breed, but of course not neccesarily will, Im very open on this kind of topic and have no claim to be adept in anything I speak of, however I do believe that evolution is very contentious at best and that there is a missing factor.

top topics

join