It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magical Number Nine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by valhala

Originally posted by valhala

Is there any multiplication of nine that doesn't give 9 as result in preceding method?

I did small computer program to test this ... as far as I can tell there is no multiple of 9 that does not give the result 9 ... I have tested multiplies up to 2 ^ 32 (conviniet for computers
)

Oh OK, hehe - I was just downloading Java SDK's myself to make such program but am glad that you've done it already. I was in terror because I'm not so good in programming (only taken the basics of Java many years ago) and I highly suspected that my skill wouldn't be sufficient.

You did it again

-v

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If anyone whish I can upload app to server and post the link here ... but will do so tomorow because today I must run ... it's my BD
(party, party)

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Originally posted by Vanitas
reply to post by valhala

Why isn't this Marko Rodin's math featured in a thread of its own?
It would deserve one, in my opinion.

When I searched after you asked, I found few references to his works here on ATS. Here's only one:

The Rodin Coil

-v

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by valhala

If anyone whish I can upload app to server and post the link here ... but will do so tomorow because today I must run ... it's my BD
(party, party)

Hey, Happy Birthday from my behalf!!

What language is your app? If it's not Java, I could just check the source code and transport it into Java. Otherwise, it would be nice of you if you can upload it!

Thanks again,

-v

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

reply to post by valhala

Would do so but can't start threads yet ... newbies "curse"

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
reply to post by valhala

(party, party)

Hey, Happy Birthday from my behalf!!

What language is your app? If it's not Java, I could just check the source code and transport it into Java. Otherwise, it would be nice of you if you can upload it!

Thanks again,

-v

C# (a lot like Java) ... will upload tomorow ... I really have to run ... friends are waiting ... and 10x for whishes

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

www.culturalink.gov.cn...

9 is a very interesting number

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by valhala

C# (a lot like Java) ... will upload tomorow ... I really have to run ... friends are waiting ... and 10x for whishes

Sure thing. Have the BD of your life
And no worries nor hurries with that upload - I have lot to do in reading Marko's work.

-v

[edit on 31-10-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by meremortal

Originally posted by meremortal
en.wikipedia.org...

www.culturalink.gov.cn...

9 is a very interesting number

Interesting information. Will read it through. From the beginning of this thread, I knew I haven't found anything new, but rather old

I guess one of my points in posting this besides of sharing it with others, was that somebody might know more about it and perhaps post some relevant information. Thank you all for that!

Sincerely,

-v

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The number 9 has significance in ancient religions, philosophy, and Chinese culture also.

* Nine, as the highest single-digit number (in base ten), symbolizes completeness in the Bahá'í Faith. In addition, the word Bahá' in the Abjad notation has a value of 9, and a 9-pointed star is used to symbolize the religion.
* The number 9 is revered in Hinduism and considered a complete, perfected and divine number because it represents the end of a cycle in the decimal system, which originated from the Indian subcontinent as early as 3000 BC.
* Important Buddhist rituals usually involve nine monks.
* The first nine days of the Hebrew month of Av are collectively known as "The Nine Days" (Tisha HaYamim), and are a period of semi-mourning leading up to Tisha B'Av, the ninth day of Av on which both Temples in Jerusalem were destroyed.
* Nine is a significant number in Norse Mythology. Odin hung himself on an ash tree for nine days to learn the runes.
* The Fourth Way Enneagram is one system of knowledge which shows the correspondence between the 9 integers and the circle.
* In the Christian angelic hierarchy there are 9 choirs of angels.
* Anton LaVey applied the number to Satan.
* Ramadan, the month of fasting and prayer, is the ninth month of the Islamic
calendar.
* Nine (九 pinyin jiǔ) is considered a good number in Chinese culture because it sounds the same as the word "longlasting" (久 pinyin jiǔ)[citation needed].

* Nine is strongly associated with the Chinese dragon, a symbol of magic and power. There are nine forms of the dragon, it is described in terms of nine attributes, and it has nine children It has 117 scales - 81 yang (masculine, or bad influence) and 36 yin (feminine, or good influence). All three numbers are multiples of 9 (9x13=117, 9x9=81, 9x4=36)[7] as well adding up individually to 9 (1+1+7=9, 8+1=9, 3+6=9).

* The dragon often symbolizes the Emperor, and the number nine can be found in many ornaments in the Forbidden City.

* The circular altar platform (Earthly Mount) of the Temple of Heaven has one circular marble plate in the center, surrounded by a ring of nine plates, then by a ring of 18 plates, and so on, for a total of nine rings, with the outermost having 81=9×9 plates.

* The name of the area called Kowloon in Hong Kong literally means: nine dragons.

* The nine-rank system was a civil service nomination system used during certain Chinese dynasties.

The Number Nine

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hm.. interesting.. I always liked the number 9 for some reason, but I never really knew why.. I guess this is something i will have to research.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
In numerology the Number 9 represents 'child like' characterstics... (when doing name analysis as well as date of birth analysis)

Also the number 144 = All possibilities. 1+4+4 = 9.

144 is represented as a master number, and i believe is part of the Fibonacci sequence.

There are 9 levels of angelic frequencies, all 9 together make the 10th, or 1 +0, or 1, ie 'god'. (not angels like in christianity, but frequencies)

Heaps more on number 9, its a very important number...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
One consequence of your discovery is that any number, whose digits sum to 9 (or a multiple of 9) is also divisible by 9. So 153 is divisible by nine, as is 340101, and so on. Just add up the digits.

Another interesting oddity is, if your digits add up to 3 or a multiple of 3, then it is divisible by 3. So 111, 102, 42, 48, etc., all divisible by 3.

Oh, one more thing. If you divide any integer by 9, the remainder is equal to the sum of the digits, once you've added them repeatedly so that the final result is 9 or less.

So, 1234567. The digits sum up to 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 28. Now add 2 + 8 = 10. 1 + 0 = 1.

Divide 1234567 by 9 and you get 137174, with a remainder of 1.

I'm not sure how useful this is in daily life, but it is the root of many "number magic" tricks. For example, the trick might be for you to pick some number, add something to it, multiply, divide, do whatever, and "magically" you'll either get your number back, or you'll get 9. Some of these tricks can be quite puzzling if you don't know how 9 figures into it.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I remember teachers 'trying' to teach this to me in 4th or 5th grade, but I never cared enough to really put forth an effort to really learn the stuff. I just grinded along doing just enough to pass and cheating whenever I could get away with it. I really wish I had paid more attention in school....

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
While it might seem like 9 is a magical number this property is actually a by-product of the radix (in the case of decimal - base 10).

For instance if we switch to Hexadecimal and apply the same concept multiplying F times any other number (which is analogous to 9), and then break up the result in to two separate numbers, we see that the answer is always F. For example,

F * 2 = 1E; 1 + E = F
F * 3 = 2D; 2 + D = F
F * 4 = 3C; 3 + C = F
F * 5 = 4B; 4 + B = F
F * 6 = 5A; 5 + A = F
F * 7 = 69; 6 + 9 = F
F * 8 = 78; 7 + 8 = F
F * 9 = 87; 8 + 7 = F
F * A = 96; 9 + 6 = F
F * B = A5; A + 5 = F
F * C = B4; B + 4 = F
F * D = C3; C + 3 = F
F * E = D2; D + 2 = F
F * F = E1; E + 1 = F

The pattern's fairly obvious.

By multiplying the last digit of a particular numbering system (ie/ in hex 16 - 1 = 15 or F) times any value up to the same number, we vary the term in the (x*[Number-Base]^1) position (so in the case of hex x*16^1) by +1 for each term of the multiplicand greater than 1 (IE/ so for F * 2, then 2 is the multiplicand which gives us the 1 in the 1E because 1*16^1 = 10 in hex).

Hence the increasing pattern for the first term 1,2,3,4,5...

And we vary the term in the (x*[Number-Base]^0) position by -1. This results in the decreasing pattern:

E,D,C,B,A ...

Or put another way whenever you multiply by any number that's 1 less than the number base (9 in the case of base-10 or F in the case of base-16), you're distributing one whole term to the (x*[Number-Base]^1) position and in the process taking away 1 from the (x*[Number-Base]^0) position. This has the affect of always resulting in a value that's equal to ([Number-Base])-1 because it's evenly dividing the terms between the left and right-hand side of the new value.

This is the very principle of modular math.

9 mod 10 = 9
11 mod 10 = 1
15 mod 16 = 15
17 mod 16 = 1

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Xtraeme]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
number nine is an evil number... evil people live with nines in their heads.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 2Unknown

Originally posted by 2Unknown
number nine is an evil number... evil people live with nines in their heads.

You are kidding, right? Otherwise you might want to justify your claim, instead of just claiming something evil without no basis at all.

-v

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

Thank you Xtraeme, your post is kinda reply I was looking for, I was asking for mathematician's help in OP, and here we have it

It takes a bit of time for a layman in maths such as myself to comprehend your post, but I will be doing my best - meanwhile, you can try and make it easier if you like, by posting more popularizing post. The functions in your post really are big pieces for me to swallow, so to speak

But I somewhat understand the concept of radix, yet hexadecimal is completely strange for me.

Thank you for your insightful post, I appreciated it really much.

-v

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

chiron613, thank you for participating! Your post is really interesting in general and awakens totally new perspectives within me.

Originally posted by chiron613
One consequence of your discovery is that any number, whose digits sum to 9 (or a multiple of 9) is also divisible by 9. So 153 is divisible by nine, as is 340101, and so on. Just add up the digits.

Yeah, I tested with few numbers from small to big ones and it really seems to be the case.

Divide 1234567 by 9 and you get 137174, with a remainder of 1.

Then, you can divide 12345678 with nine and have round number 1371742

I'm not sure how useful this is in daily life, but it is the root of many "number magic" tricks. For example, the trick might be for you to pick some number, add something to it, multiply, divide, do whatever, and "magically" you'll either get your number back, or you'll get 9. Some of these tricks can be quite puzzling if you don't know how 9 figures into it.

There's probably not much use for layman in daily life, but from perspective of knowledge they are interesting, and probably very useful, as it seems to be the case with Marko Rodin and his coil (from my behalf, credit goes for valhala bringing this into my knowledge!).

Again chiron613, thank you for posting - you made really a worthwhile post in my opinion!

Sincerely,

-v

[edit on 1-11-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

reply to post by valhala

Would do so but can't start threads yet ... newbies "curse"

Well, it seems now you have twenty posts under your belt.
I believe that's enough to start a thread.
(I may be wrong, of course... I often seem to be, these last weeks.)

Even if I don't intend to participate, I look forward to it.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by Vanitas]

<< 1    3  4 >>

join