It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Halloween, many sex offenders must post 'No Candy Here' signs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Why don't those people, who are registered that, just not answer the door on halloween, problem solved.

Really? You can trust them not to answer the door? It's evident you spent all of one second on that solution.

Anyway.... back to the real world!

IRM :shk:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
This is truly a *witches cauldron* of subjects here.

We’ve got parents telling kids from birth - never to accept candy from strangers.

Until that one night out when they can - for *fun* no less.

We’ve got sexual offenders who can live at the houses where bus stops for middle school are placed - all year long- but must needs to post *No Candy Here* signs on Halloween.

We’ve got the media mass manipulation of all - to buy that candy, that costume, and give it up for Halloween...

Truly a devil’s playground all the way around...

I want to hear more...

Because if it doesn't’ happen now - it will soon.

No ones picked up on it yet.

I’ll wait some more to see if anyone gets it - but - you’re all getting closer...

peace

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm OK with it. Don't know how effective it is but I am OK with it. I have 2 children and I live in a new area so it might be somewhat effective on this one particular day. Lawmakers are stupid but this is an attempt to help a little.

I don't really care if these people have ANY rights at all to be honest. Once you hurt a child all bets are off IMO. I know some will say that they have done their time so leave them alone but I personally don't give these idiots the benefit of the doubt.

Happy Halloween!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, some these people committed a horrible crime and deserve to have their rights infringed upon.

However, I know a lot of registered sex offenders are on there for BS reasons. This ranges from things like a 19 year old guy sleeping with a 17 year old to simply taking a wizz on the side of the road.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
No candy at Roman polanski's house then this year kids.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If a sex offender is that dangerous, and likely to re-offend, they need to be in prison. Do they have murderers put signs on their doors? It's ridiculous to lump someone that got caught peeing in public with rapists and kid diddlers.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
www.motifake.com...

I say good. That will teach the bastards. I have no sympathy for pedophiles.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Was going post a no candy sign on my door because I don't want the hassle. Now people might think i am a sex offender. I think I will add due to the H1n1 no candy will be given out here. I do not want people to think i am a sex offender!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Great thread, silo. You've made some good points.

My opinion on this (and I was a victim of childhood molestation) is that once a person serves their time for their crime, they are done and should integrate back into society, like everyone else. If the state is putting dangerous people back out on the street, they're messing up. If they need to let some people out of their prison, make it people who are not dangerous. How can they knowingly let a person who is dangerous to children out to have contact with them?

I think this is unconstitutional. I have no sympathy for sex offenders, except that they are human and should have equal rights under the law. The act of labeling the sex offender's house is creating a pariah in society.

I also hate the whole idea of children going to strangers' houses for candy on Halloween. It's not practical in these time. There should be Halloween parties for kids instead. I haven't given out candy for many, many years. I just don't answer the door.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FSBlueApocalypse
I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, some these people committed a horrible crime and deserve to have their rights infringed upon.

However, I know a lot of registered sex offenders are on there for BS reasons. This ranges from things like a 19 year old guy sleeping with a 17 year old to simply taking a wizz on the side of the road.

I know a friend who simply was nice to a neighbrhood kid that was labled a pedophile. He let this 14 year old girl come over and use the internet. SHe tried all sorts of things to get him to seduce her. He was almost evicted and moved out. He found out after he moved out that the manager thought he might be a pedophile; she called the police yet he had no record and there was no proof.
I was there and I knew what happened. He was just like a bg brother to her.
People just assume things!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The only way this crosses a line is if the flyers that are sent out and the website that you can track where sex offenders live also cross that same line. This is a good idea, keeps the kids form going to the wrong houses and keeps the pedo's from having that temptation.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by gak730
this is really stupid, I don't even know what to say lol, the laws here are the dumbest things ever, DUI's, this... I hate this place.

So you have a problem with it being illegal to drive drunk? Or are you being sarcastic? Must be sarcastic cause no one is dumb enough to think it's ok to drive trashed.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Over time, certain luxuries must disappear due to one person ruining it for the rest. In this case, it's not one person but half a million. But the time passed in which kids could go door to door assuming they wouldn't be given anything extra (touching, what have you). But at least they still get to go trick-or-treating and at least the registered sex offenders have proof they weren't trying to touch anybody.

It's like when I got a marijuana possession charge. I had to go to jail and get printed, but at least if they try to accuse me of something else, my prints will tell the tale for me.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SchmokehSchmokeh

I disagree! there are places where trick or treating will always be safe

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gak730
this is really stupid, I don't even know what to say lol, the laws here are the dumbest things ever, DUI's, this... I hate this place.

Yeah, laws suck. They don't exist to do anything other than keep down minorities and give white people power!!

/end sarcasm

I have no problem with the sign. I believe in civil rights, but like everything on this planet, you can take it too far.

Too much of anything is a bad thing. Always has been, always will be.

Yin and Yang. You have to have something to counter act it or everything will fall apart.

In this case, if everyone were to think like the guy i quoted above, then there'd be NO LAWS anywhere about anything, and molesters could take your children on their birthdays to their now-windowed vans without the pesky task of first buying a puppy to lure them in.

I don't wish death upon Child Molesters but i also don't believe they should be allowed the same rights to privacy.

To allow them complete anonymity is to promote a repeat crime.

If you allow that to happen, or condone the steps that would be needed in order for it to happen, then IMO, you are just as guilty and vile as the person who committed the crime.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by silo13

What about the other days of the year? What's the logic behind this all? The sickos can go out and abduct kids whenever they wish. If they really are sick enough to want to do that sort of stuff, then they'll find a way somehow!

This law is hypocritical, and is actually quite pathetic.

Other days of the year do not lend to children roaming their own neighborhood knocking on doors of goodness knows who.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well our city has/had the same regulation in effect. Not to mention they were to stay in their home with the porch light off during certain hours.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.usatoday.com...

The law was eventually dropped or is in revision. The law itself is a good thing in my eyes it just needs to be tweaked a bit.

I know a guy who was arrested because of the law when it was in effect because he was staying with his parents that night and they were giving out candy. The charges on him were dropped. His was a case also of a guy 19-20 having sex with a minor 14-15, not exactly a good thing but not too terrible either. In his case he should not have had to continue registering as a sex offender but for the years of probation IMO. I wrote an essay on this sort of situation before actually that explained in greater detail the differencing levels of sex offence and punishments that should follow.

But in some cases this is a very good law, once they have offended I do not trust them and do not want them anywhere near kid’s period. I am all for law regulating where sex offenders can live as well. In the case of the guy I mentioned yeah he made a mistake that should not follow him, but in the case of a guy molesting a kid that is no mistake and it should follow them for life.

I am for laws like this that keep sex offenders from society. At the same time I would like to say that the parents should be out with their kids and going to the door with them. This would keep things safe for all sides. But I guess I am a bit old fashioned on keeping an eye on kids.

Raist

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I never let my kids go Trick or Treating without both me and my husband going along. We didn't sit in the car and let them run haywire all over. We walked every step of the way with them, to each and every door.

Many times, while they were very young, we took them to the local mall instead. They lost total interest in it about the age of 14, and we started hosting nice little haunted house type things where I allowed them to hand out candy after they gave a good little scare. We participated in this as a family.

We decorated it up and had a hoot, but they even lost interest in doing that at about 17. Now, I do not hand out candy.

A man lives behind me that molested my daughter and some other children in the neighborhood, though. A part of his plea agreement was not not being required to register as a sex offender, though he was charged and convicted for contributing to the delinquency of a minor x 2 charges for his actions.

Everyone knows he is a sex offender, and the most amazing part is, his house is the only one in the entire neighborhood decorated for Halloween. His wife is an elementary school teacher.

I would have liked the law more had ne not been able to skirt the law just because he had high priced attorneys, but it really accomplishes nothing, IMO.

I never quite felt safe letting them eat all those foods and candies, but we did it anyways. We looked best we could at the candies and anything homemade was tossed out, and anything not wrapped properly, as well. In this day and age, if my kids were still little enough to enjoy Halloween, I simply would refuse, and have a party instead.

Not to mention all the hullabaloo over H1N1. Sure I won't molest yer kid, but lemme infect the entire neighborhood! Just makes no sense anymore.

If you want your kids to be safe, and want to let them Trick or Treat, go with them an be as safe as you can!

Violating rights? Nope. The law is, once you have done the time an get to go live with the rest of society again, you must carry that stigma, sometimes for the rest of your life, depending on the severity of the crime.

Are there miscarriages of justice in this like with all other crimes? Of course there are, and that's a sad fact that we all wish could be unavoidable.

Unfortunately, statitics tend to speak rather loudly, and the recidivism rate for child molesters is very very low. Once the person has done their time, however, they can't keep them in jail simply because they will most likely re-violate, hence why we have laws that protect society from their ilk.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Libertygal]
edited for typos ><

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Libertygal]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm not an american but i do believe your constitution is a brilliant document, therefore hopefully i can make a comment without drawing hostility

Paedophiles who have offended and abused children are disgusting, pathetic people who deserve a slow death. However that is an unevolved, visceral response of mine. So let's look at this logically.

A paedophile has to register with the city they are in under Megans Law (i think that's correct). This means that anyone can find them and automatically this brings violence and fear to the individual. Whilst many might think this is a good thing all it does is lead to the paedophile not registering and worse than this, paedophiles cannot find work and these pressures could, i would argue lead to other criminal offenses being commited.

Now add to this that they have to put these signs up. It's a giant advertisement and could bring true violence to them. Whilst i don't care if such people are beaten or killed i will always side with the law and preventing vigilantism is important.

Now consider what your constitution says. Basically under the law once you have served your time then you are free to go. It could be argued that this proposed idea for halloween and even Megans Law are post trial punishments on an individual which shouldn't happen when they have already served their time.

Whether they deserve it or not isn't truly the important factor. Anyone supporting the constitution would apply it without emotion, but people pick and choose what they want to as always.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Sex offenders locked down, in the dark for Halloween.

Here, they're taking it even a step further.

(CNN) -- Scores of sex offenders in Anderson, South Carolina, will be corralled for Halloween tonight in a move authorities say is needed to keep kids safe as they trick or treat.

source

While we're are it, let's get rid of all the weapons in the world to prevent future killings. Why wouldn't they just cut from the root instead of making things halfway? This will prevent nothing. If a sex offender wants to abuse a child he will do it no matter if it is Halloween or any regular Monday.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join