It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Halloween, many sex offenders must post 'No Candy Here' signs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

On Halloween, many sex offenders must post 'No Candy Here' signs

www.csmonitor.com

A Georgia lawmakers hopes his state will join several others – including Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, and Louisiana – and dozens of cities, towns, and counties across the US that now order registered sex offenders to put out a "NO CANDY HERE" sign.

It's a gambit to warn trick or treaters against possible molesters. But it also raises constitutional and societal questions over identifying America's more than 500,000 registered sex offenders by where they live.

"There's a lot of fake monsters running around on Halloween, but there are some real ones, too,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Where do we draw the line?

As a constitutionalist I believe this mandate (?) crosses the line.

But - The convicted child molesters/sexual offenders have already crossed the lines of society and broken the rules. (Extreme understatement that).

Should the constitution still protect those who’ve abused society?

Is it possible to allow these offenders their right privacy, and, protect children too?

(posted Rome time 0930)

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-10-2009 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Sex offenders locked down, in the dark for Halloween.

Here, they're taking it even a step further.

(CNN) -- Scores of sex offenders in Anderson, South Carolina, will be corralled for Halloween tonight in a move authorities say is needed to keep kids safe as they trick or treat.

source

BUT -

But some say the sex offender roundups and restrictions are more show than safety.

"There has not been a single case of any child being molested by a convicted sex offender while trick-or-treating," writes columnist Benjamin Radford on LiveScience.com.

Question: - Is it attributed to the safety measures - or that, it just hasn't happened - Yet... And where might this all end up?

Can anyone see where this is leading???

I have, but I'll wait...

Maybe until it's too late - like tomorrow, when the true horror comes out in the light of day.

But for now - I'll wait - maybe someone else will get it...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I dont mind the sign, as it doesn't attract ridicule, I mean, alot of people put signs up like that.

Locking them up ??? that seems waaaaaay overboard, they act like these molesters are crack addicts who jump on children every chance they get. I know their not saints, but say, if an underage girl lies about her age to a twenty something year old, ... he will be categorized as a sex offender. and ruin his life, ..... as far as the other ones, what they did was dispicable, but people make mistakes.

Maybe they should have a two strikes, castrate, rule or something.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Well if the temptation isnt there it reduces the chance of something tragic happening.As for the molesters rights he put himself on the shortlesh when he commited the crime.Just my take.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
here were i live they passed a law that requires the sex offenders to post a sign and stay in their house from 5 pm to 10 pm Halloween night. the sign has to say they are a sex offender and no treats will be given out. and also they have to leave any outside light off.

the county sheriff dept. and local police dept do random checks to see if they are complying with the law which started last Halloween.

the law passd last year and has already been challenged in state court here and the law was upheld no surprise that the courts ruled the law was constitutional.

and IMO making them post a sign 1 day a year is no more unconstitutional and no more of a violation of their privacy as posting their name, photo, address, physical description and a list of their crimes on a law enforcement website. or any website for as long as they live in that state.

and as a father of 2 kids i really have no problem with laws being passed saying they have to post a sign saying a sex offender lives here 1 day a year. but on the other hand whats to stop them from doing the same with other groups of people convicted of a crime.

But locking them up for the night just because they are a sex offender does cross the line in my book, unless they broke the Halloween law.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
this is really stupid, I don't even know what to say lol, the laws here are the dumbest things ever, DUI's, this... I hate this place.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

This option of posting "no candy" signs should be available to all in the community should they not want stupid kids banging on their door.

Are these previous offenders asking for kids to knock on their door? If not, the sign should be optional.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Scores of sex offenders in Anderson, South Carolina, will be corralled for Halloween tonight in a move authorities say is needed to keep kids safe as they trick or treat.

What about the other days of the year? What's the logic behind this all? The sickos can go out and abduct kids whenever they wish. If they really are sick enough to want to do that sort of stuff, then they'll find a way somehow!

This law is hypocritical, and is actually quite pathetic.

It's the parents of the kids who are partially to blame for letting their children go to stranger's homes, should any harm come to them.

Why don't they just ban trick or treating instead?! Or lock up anyone who looks like a molesterer?!

[edit on 31-10-2009 by john124]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
As some have said, I don't see the problem with posting a sign in the window of homes occupied by sex offenders. It is just a safety precaution and nothing more. However, I think it is a parent's duty to accompany their children while they revel in the Halloween festivities. Most parents do, however, I see young kids trick or treating unaccompanied by an adult and that is a no no in my book. There are real monsters out on Halloween just like any day, and to allow a young child to trick or treat alone is like playing with a loaded gun by the parents. As IntastellaBurst writes:

Locking them up ??? that seems waaaaaay overboard

Now, I am in agreement of that. To just summarily incarcerate someone over night, because they are a convicted sex offender as a precaution, is walking the fine line of Constitutional impropriety. If one is arrested for a crime, by all means, lock them up, but if they haven't done anything recent, it is unjust. Just because one is convicted of a previous crime and have payed their debt to society, it doesn't give the authorities the right to lock them up because of the previous crime they committed as a precaution. Back to the subject, I don't see a problem of hanging a sign in the window, and perhaps having them turn off their porch lights for Halloween.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I dont think a sign is visible enough.. maybe they should have it tattooed on their foreheads

[edit on 31-10-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

What about the other days of the year? What's the logic behind this all? The sickos can go out and abduct kids whenever they wish. If they really are sick enough to want to do that sort of stuff, then they'll find a way somehow!

Exactly.

So, we ‘make it safe’ for children, for one night.

But what about the rest of the year?

This is the direction I was in hopes the thread would travel... But for now I'll sit back and listen to some more posts first - I don't want to derail my own thread.

Thanks for your post.
peace

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Another feel good, do nothing law by those lovely uncaring, unintelligent lawmakers. As a father of three kids, I'm not on the side of child molesters at all but come on... Really? You think this is going to make a lick of difference? You are delusional.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I despise these Halloween "customs"

I know, I know....its supposed to be harmless fun - but its not.

As a kid growing up, I was always told - and so were my peers - "never take sweets/candy from strangers"

And yet on Halloween, this absoutely stupid "trick or treat" custom flies against all that.

And this is a case in point. Kids go out by themselves and they have NO idea whos door they are knocking on, or what might be in the stuff given to them. None at all.

And there is the other aspect of "feral mobs" that bully and harass people, elder teens demanding money, vandalism to property and cars and just generally being a nuisance to old people and those who wish no part in the "game".

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
These sex offender registration laws violate the constitution is so many ways.

The first reason they will give for a need for these laws is that offenders are more likely to re offend. Ok so they might commit a offense in the future so we need to confine them and we should post there photos, names and address, for all to see, severely limiting there ability to have a house or apartment or a job, not to mention a family, who wants to be married or even have a relationship with a person on one of these list? And what about the offenders children? What kind of life will these people have with this hanging over there head? Probation for life added after the fact is unconstitutional.

IMO if a person has proven to be a threat to society they should be incarcerated for life.

IMO these laws hurt families of offenders what about there children having to grow up with this? A little research on this topic will reveal suicides and broken families. It is ruling out any possibility for those who are reformed to have any type of normal life. Because these people Might re offend, and this is America? This is the ptb spreading fear.

These laws clearly violate ex post facto provision in the constitution, if a person is convicted and registering as a offender is apart of there sentence, then that is constitutional. Making a person register when these laws didn't exist are adding a punishment to a crime that was previously paid for. If they can do it to these offenders they can and will do it to everybody that commits a crime. Just wait till we have "the christian list" or the DUI list"

If there is going to be lists like this they should be more specific. Right now there are people convicted of public urination or those who where 18 and had sex with a minor on these list, no force no violence, just sex is this right and does this make you feel safe? Does this somehow protect you or your family?

I think the criminal code should have been overhauled instead of these lists being made into law. IMO is you are convicted of child molestation or violent rape of anyone you should be in prison for life, if some how you do get out and re offend you should be castrated, these will not hurt the innocent family members of offenders on these lists.

For people that are required to register on these lists, when the law went into effect after there convictions these people on these list have absolutely no way of ever paying there debt to society, they are put on these lists for life without trial.

Yet another fine example of political correctness running wild, because if a politician argued against these lists because they are clearly unconstitutional it would be political suicide.

If these lists are going to be apart of our rule of law Only proven violent sexual predators and child molesters should be on them, right now that isn't the case, but if some one in your neighborhood is on this list, talk to them, get there side of the story you might be surprised at what you will find out.

btw they are listing kids as youg as 11 on these public lists.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Same here, heard it on the local newscast but they didn't post it on their web page.

Somehow, these guys are to be locked up all day, (so if they had a job, now they'll be fired) while at the same time they are to be home! Officers are going to check on each of them to make sure they are home and not answering the door. But, if they don't answer the door to the officers, they get in trouble too. (plus no lights and the "no candy" signs.)

The news cast really bothered me most because it gives parents a FALSE SENSE of which homes are child-safe!

Since over 90% of pedos are never turned in and since in Texas, the convicted ones are only on the list for seven years and then they are unlisted ... means there could be a pedo behind most of those doors that do NOT have signs.

I know a Boy Scout leader who raped over 30 boys and his time has expired so how many kiddoes will knock on his door tonight?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I despise these Halloween "customs"

I know, I know....its supposed to be harmless fun - but its not.

As a kid growing up, I was always told - and so were my peers - "never take sweets/candy from strangers"

And yet on Halloween, this absoutely stupid "trick or treat" custom flies against all that.

And this is a case in point. Kids go out by themselves and they have NO idea whos door they are knocking on, or what might be in the stuff given to them. None at all.

And there is the other aspect of "feral mobs" that bully and harass people, elder teens demanding money, vandalism to property and cars and just generally being a nuisance to old people and those who wish no part in the "game".

quite right Nef..and it is for those exact reasons that my kids are staying home tonight. My area is bad for all things listed above, including sex offenders.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I think it's a good idea. Once you hurt children, I believe you should loose certain rights within society. This is nothing compared to the young lives they've ruined. To every action a consequence. They deserve no benefit of doubt!

IRM

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Why don't those people, who are registered that, just not answer the door on halloween, problem solved.

Hypocrites wrote this law i would imagine.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
It's not about the offender it's about re electing the politican. Now he can say he created this great law and it's not like his opponent is NOT going to vote for it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join