It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kenneth Arnold Sighting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Just checked Google Archives matching "Kenneth Arnold" and flying (flying rather than flying saucer because flying saucer was a new phrase), limited to 1947 to get contemporary stories:

preview.tinyurl.com...

There's some paywalled stuff, but Google have scanned in some old stories like this one from The St Petersburg Times called "Flying Objects Astonish Pilots":

preview.tinyurl.com...

Among others that have been scanned in.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skeptical Ed
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

The Arnold case has always been troubling because when one reads his original report, the only conclusion one can come to is that there is no way that Arnold could even make a drawing of what attracted his attention. When you look up because you saw a contrail and it's so high up that you can't even see the plane leaving the contrail, you can't describe the aircraft accurately if they're probably 35,000-50,000 feet high (a little over 9 miles high)

Yet, Arnold claims he could see a DC-4 to his left and back of him, about 15 miles (24 km) away. About 30 seconds after seeing the first flash of light, Arnold saw a series of bright flashes in the distance off to his left, or north of Mt. Rainier, which was then 20 to 25 miles (40 km) away.
he said they moved from Mt. Rainer to Mt. Adams where they faded from view, a distance of about 50 miles

Just a thought and I must say that I am sorely no expert in this.
As you can see below, the skies that day appeared to be clear and the objects where as it seems pretty big, so I assume that a very skilled and experienced pilot with over 9,000 flying hours as Kenneth Arnold was can be pretty accurate in my opinion.

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
He then proceeded to to use his dzus cowling fastener as a gauge to compare all nine objects to the distance of the DC-4 and had estimated their angular size was just slightly smaller than the DC-4 and about the width between the outer engines which was about 60 Feet.

He said he realized these objects would have to be very large to be able to see any detail at that distance and when he later compared notes with the United Airlines crew that had a smiliar sighting about 10 days later, he placed the size as larger than a DC-4 airliner (greater than 100 feet in length). The airforce later estimated it to be 140-280 Feet.

Look if you want to this sighting regarding the distance to the object.

Multiple pilots witness large object near Guernsey, United Kingdom

Aurigny’s Captain Ray Bowyer, 50, said he saw the strange object during a flight from Southampton.

He spotted a bright-yellow light 10 miles west of Alderney while his plane was about 30 miles from the island and at 4,000ft.

‘It was a very sharp, thin yellow object with a green area. It was 2,000ft up and stationary,’ he said.

I thought it was about 10 miles away, although I later realised it was approximately 40 miles from us. At first, I thought it was the size of a 737.’

A 737 is slightly smaller than a jumbo jet.

‘But it must have been much bigger because of how far away it was. It could have been as much as a mile wide.’

www.ufoevidence.org...

[edit on 1/11/09 by spacevisitor]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

These images, often called "the Roswell craft" photos, (as it is widely reported that the Roswell craft was not a saucer, but a "delta" winged craft) appeared in several Southwestern newspapers around the time of Arnold's sighting and match his basic description of a heel shaped, domed flyer; These images were photographed the same day as the Roswell crash which took place in the evening of July 7, 1947, just one state away, in New Mexico.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot

These images, often called "the Roswell craft" photos, (as it is widely reported that the Roswell craft was not a saucer, but a "delta" winged craft) appeared in several Southwestern newspapers around the time of Arnold's sighting and match his basic description of a heel shaped, domed flyer; These images were photographed the same day as the Roswell crash which took place in the evening of July 7, 1947, just one state away, in New Mexico.

One never knows, do one? There is a pro-Roswell website which I looked at earlier today but it was one of many so I don't remember which one it was. Oh, yeah, it was a website mentioning and criticizing the newspaper reports. Anyways, it claimed that research showed that the "UFO" that Mac Brazel found was not on July 7 but in June! There is so much contradicting connected with the Roswell event that one doesn't know who to "believe" (the word "believe" in quotes 'cause I'm not using it for myself but for those who believe things).

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This all really adds to the intrigue of Roswell... Thank you to the OP and Internos

Could the object(s) seen by Arnold and Rhodes be what crashed in New Mexico? I mean, it certainly seems like a possibility...

And what the heck was going on in July of 1947....

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Excellent thread, s & f.

I also recall seeing an alleged still frame from some gun camera footage from the same era in which a a very detailed and clear crescent shaped "craft" is captured.

Interestingly it was more similar o the artists sketch rather than Arnold's descriptions.

I will try and find a link.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well allow me to BUMP this EXCELLENT presnetation of a classic, the best write up summation I HAVE seen. And thanks to INTERNOS, for the suppliments, I was not wanting to go into the supllimentary cases involved but I am glad he did, to silence those who take the (pesudopskeptic approach, I am not calling anyone out btw).

I have some nice case reports that are relevant to the KA sighting, I will add them tommarow, just wanted to bump this SUBPERB thread, I hope Jess got AT LEAST 4 Applause....I know she got two from me

Thanks again Jessica!
, it is a SHAME only 31 flags but oh well, It has been added to the directory.
. GOOD JOB again Jess, internos, ArMaP, and myself (as well ALL other members) REALLY hope to see more of you in our forum in the NEAR FUTURE. I knew you told me it took you FOREVER, but to present cases like this takes time. You are doing a GREATER purpose, so ALWAYS remember that.

[edit on 11/22/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Jess- marvellous thread.

Heres a video of Ken discussing the incident in his own words (found at 6:05).

Followed on here:

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Kenneth Arnold was a CIA disinfo agent, he invented his story for the CIA and never saw any discs. The Maury Island story from 1946 (around Seattle) also is disinfo, and a hoax. Fred Crisman is another CIA disinfo agent.

Real UFOs seen in earth's skies so far are above top secret govt craft, like black triangles, based on Paperclip technology. UFO sightings have been fabricated and invented by the CIA, KGB/Russian equivalent, British, French, and Australian intelligence as well as Portuguese, etc. The ESA is in on the deception and part of it regards the moon and Mars, etc.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The CIA has doctored and faked UFO pictures.

My information is from YHWH God, I am His loyal servant. I am the servant of the LORD, as was Moses.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
30 years after his initial sighting - Kenneth Arnold asks a pertinent question about pilot UFO reports (found at 19:30).

Google Video Link

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Arnold was, in my opinion, seriously massed to the media. Though his drawings of the craft he'd claimed to have seen was quite bizarre for the time, he was actually flying around trying to spot a missing U.S. Military plane. It was found not far off suspiciously crashed into the side of a mountain.

Decoy

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Not the Hortion explanation yet again. Can we just put this one to bed once and for all?

1. There were only 3 built and 2 were destroyed by a British bombing raid on the factory that fabricated them.

2 The remaining model was shipped to the USA and handed over to the Smithsonian Institute and then put on public display, where it was found . almost 15 years later by technicians , given the task of, developing *stealth aircraft*.

3 The Horton Brother, designed primarily, gliders not powered aircraft. The designs they came up with were often built as gliders, to test their airframe with no power plant to actually give them the ability to fly under their own power.

4. Both Horton brothers survived the war. Reimar Horten emigrated to Argentina, where he carried on designing gliders and an unsuccessful *flying wing transport aircraft. His brother Walter stayed in Germany and joined the new Luftwaffe.

5 In the late 1940s, the personnel of Project Sign, the U.S. Air Force's flying saucer investigation, seriously considered the possibility that UFOs might have been secret aircraft manufactured by the U.S.S.R. based on the Hortens' designs. Which would pretty much put the idea to bed that, the Americans ever built or flew anything like them, themselves.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Very interesting:

www.rense.com...

Look familiar?

[edit on 7/17/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Thanks for adding those photos! They look slightly similar but the below one looks more like a triangle than a horseshoe to me.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I was googling for a detail about the Arnold sighting and saw this thread. I missed it first time around. There's just about everything one could want to know about Arnold, the sightings and later events in this here. Nice work

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Good job on the research...you should do this for a living. As good as any book or article i've read yet.

As for the Arnold sightings...I still think tthat they were US manufactured prototypes of captured german/nazi designs. After WWII and Operation Paperclip brought a large number of German aero-physicists and engineers to the US, it was then that we started seeing exponential growth in UFO sightings.

Arnold said the sun reflected off of shinny metal...and that they actually looked like planes but no tail seen? Sounds like some of the German designs made here.

Besides, how would the USA populace and all those people/soldiers/veterans that saw what the Nazi Camps did....how would the American people feel if they found out we had given safe haven to those very same war criminals?

What better way to cover it up than with tales of ET and UFOs?

By 1947, we had the major portions of the german aeronautics programs in place... where? New Mexico....Even old Werner Von Braun was down there. And what happens when you are trying out prototypes and cutting edge designs?...They fly sometimes...they CRASH sometimes. In little places like Roswell, NM.

A good read on the subject is Man-Made UFOs, 1944-1994

Just to make the point...I DO believe in UFOs and aliens...I actually saw one in 1972 at about 100 yards...with my brother and my mother. Scared the hell out of us.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a great witness for this historic event, ken arnold. at that time there are no rash of ufo sightings so ken arnold's sighting can be pegged as unbiased. though not many people know that arnold is a repeater

i dont know how some people try to link this with roswell fantasy.. as if everything must be connected to roswell?.. anything that connected with roswell are already garbage data and useless, aince there are too many fantasy story and faerie tale cropping from people's imaginative mind.. my auggestion : forget roswell , crashed disc, alien captured, underground bases and all the modern myth perpetrated by money hungry speakers/writer and open karl12's jkorg ufo link and study ufo phenomena since the beginning of mankind history.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
30 years after his initial sighting - Kenneth Arnold asks a pertinent question about pilot UFO reports (found at 19:30).

Google Video Link

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

New address for video interview:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join