It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Hospital-acquired pneumonia killing Swine flu patients?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I have raised this issue in the thread about the Ukraine flu outbreak. Of course I'm not certain of anything I'm just mentioning something i have not even heard on the Mainstream at all.

First of all Swine flu isn't even being tested anymore so we don't even know if these cases are normal flu swine flu or a cold because they everyone is just being told they have swine flu.

That being said at first i assumed most people dieing of this flu were just very ill to begin with and for the most par that was the case. People with asthma or other underlying health issues. Now it seems that pneumonia is killing the flu patients and of course the media is starting to peddle the pneumonia vaccine, typical.

While looking up pneumonia and the different types and the causes i came across Hospital-acquired pneumonia. This made total sense to me because the Hospitals are being overloaded with people scared they have the "menacing" h1n1 and if they have asthma they are being put on ventilators.

Ventilators preventing coughing causing the mucus to settle in the longs this coupled with bacteria from medical equipment and the general enviroment can cause Hospital-acquired pneumonia.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hospital-acquired pneumonia, also called nosocomial pneumonia, is pneumonia acquired during or after hospitalization for another illness or procedure with onset at least 72 hrs after admission. The causes, microbiology, treatment and prognosis are different from those of community-acquired pneumonia. Up to 5% of patients admitted to a hospital for other causes subsequently develop pneumonia. Hospitalized patients may have many risk factors for pneumonia, including mechanical ventilation, prolonged malnutrition, underlying heart and lung diseases, decreased amounts of stomach acid, and immune disturbances. Additionally, the microorganisms a person is exposed to in a hospital are often different from those at home . Hospital-acquired microorganisms may include resistant bacteria such as MRSA, Pseudomonas, Enterobacter, and Serratia. Because individuals with hospital-acquired pneumonia usually have underlying illnesses and are exposed to more dangerous bacteria, it tends to be more deadly than community-acquired pneumonia. Ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) is a subset of hospital-acquired pneumonia. VAP is pneumonia which occurs after at least 48 hours of intubation and mechanical ventilation.

I know this is wiki but it is concise and you can find much more info on Hospital-acquired pneumonia all over the internet. In the end everyone has the right to do what they want to protect themselves but I am always suspect of reasonable diagnosis that are never mentioned on Mainstream News even by our good old Sangay Gupta.

Personally unless i have a heavy fever i won't be at the hospital and even then i'll visit the family doctor first.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

In reply to the subject title: I wouldn't be surprised.
Not AT ALL.

P.S. There are a lot of things people can do to protect themselves, effectively and inexpensively, against all sorts of plagues - including iatrogenic ones.

Washing one's hands every time you can is rather obvious, but still not observed by all too many. Avoiding pharmacies and/or hospitals is another one.

Among preventive remedies, these are the ones to remember and use every day (alternating them): ginger, cinnamon, hot pepper, oregano, thyme, mixed (individually or in combination of two at a time) with hot water, preferably before going out and after coming home.

Essential oils are also wonderfully effective: tea tree, cinnamon (never applied to the skin, not even diluted), cloves, with an addition of lavender, are just a few.

(Spoken by someone who hasn't been sick in a decade.
)

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Pneumonia is a common consequence of any flu, and is frequently caused by one's own bacterial flora. If it happens while you are at home with the flu it is called community acquired pneumonia. If it occurs while you are hospitalized it is called nosocomial or hospital acquired pneumonia, even though you brought it in with you and the source is from your own body. You can differentiate true hospital from community acquired bacteria from their resistance patterns. Hospital acquired bacteria are usually more resistant to antibiotics than community sourced bacteria. The bottom line is that some hospital acquired pneumonia cannot be avoided, and you may not be any safer at home. At least in the hospital you are closely monitored and may have a better chance of survival.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameneter

Pneumonia is a common consequence of any flu, and is frequently caused by one's own bacterial flora. If it happens while you are at home with the flu it is called community acquired pneumonia. If it occurs while you are hospitalized it is called nosocomial or hospital acquired pneumonia, even though you brought it in with you and the source is from your own body. You can differentiate true hospital from community acquired bacteria from their resistance patterns. Hospital acquired bacteria are usually more resistant to antibiotics than community sourced bacteria. The bottom line is that some hospital acquired pneumonia cannot be avoided, and you may not be any safer at home. At least in the hospital you are closely monitored and may have a better chance of survival.

Hospital-acquired pneumonia can be completely avoided if you do not go to the hospital. Of course you can get pneumonia at home that is a no brainer but these people are developing pneumonia in the hospital so considering there is an influx of people freaking out about the media hyped swine flu you have way more people in the hospital and much more bacteria floating around.

I have heard many doctors on TV say that you should stay home if you get the flu and ONLY seek medical treatment if you have a very high fever.

The human body can fight infection despite what the media says we have an immune system and when you get into the Hospital you are around hundreds that are sick and when and if you get a bed they may put you on a ventilator and then you are screwed because these ventilators are bacteria orgies.

You are not safer in the hospital at all in fact i say you are more unsafe there than anywhere when a flu is considered.

top topics

join