It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things like this is why Christians get Bad Press

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Last Spring a family moved into a house down the street with us. Their little boy and our little boy started playing together, and our boy was invited to spend the night with the neighbor boy, and even go to Sunday School together. Now I am a Wiccan, and many of you know, but I do not broadcast this to everyone, I think a person's religion should be their own. Anyway, our Trick or Treat time is tomorrow night, and our little boy dressed all up and went down to show his friend his new costume, he is a vampire this year. He had the costume on, but not the makeup or fake blood. Our son came back in tears, and told us that he could not play with the little boy anymore, because dressing up in costume and celebrating a satanic holiday (their words, not mine) Now I will agree that All Hallows is an ancient holiday, and is is a Pagan holiday. The Christians "churched it up" a long time ago, and good hearted Christians have dressed up and went out trick or treating for years now, obvious to what the holiday really means. Now this? What thinks you, ATS?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Last Spring a family moved into a house down the street with us. Their little boy and our little boy started playing together, and our boy was invited to spend the night with the neighbor boy, and even go to Sunday School together. Now I am a Wiccan, and many of you know, but I do not broadcast this to everyone, I think a person's religion should be their own. Anyway, our Trick or Treat time is tomorrow night, and our little boy dressed all up and went down to show his friend his new costume, he is a vampire this year. He had the costume on, but not the makeup or fake blood. Our son came back in tears, and told us that he could not play with the little boy anymore, because dressing up in costume and celebrating a satanic holiday (their words, not mine) Now I will agree that All Hallows is an ancient holiday, and is is a Pagan holiday. The Christians "churched it up" a long time ago, and good hearted Christians have dressed up and went out trick or treating for years now, obvious to what the holiday really means. Now this? What thinks you, ATS?
I think thats sad that they have to tell that to a child, couldn't they have discussed it with you, the parent first? I respect all religions to an extent, but when the followers are intolerant of other beliefs, that is when I end my respect for the person. A person of another religion could very easily say that to a Christian for celebrating Christmas.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Phlynx]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
As Christians they of course have the right to celebrate Halloween or not but to subject a child to judgement when they have no idea why they are being made to cry doesn't seem right.

Please remember not all Christians are the same. Just like any other religion, if you choose to judge based on their worst representative you are not being very open-minded.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
You should have seen this coming from a christian family. If they go to Sunday school or church every week, chances are high that this would take place. At least with the more fundamentalist christian denominations. I would recommend you go talk to your neighbors and educate them about the history behind halloween, as well as tell them why they would do such a thing.

Heck, it should be common knowledge by know that one should not speak about religious belief and politics to someone else's child without parent approval, apparently your neighbor did not get the memo.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

First as a Christian (or one who works toward it anyway) let me say I am sorry your son became a victim here. Really that is what happened. I might not celebrate Halloween, though my son went to school today as a ninja, we still really do not celebrate it.

I have no problem with parents who oppose Halloween as that is their choice but they should not tell a child in such as way and remove their child’s friendship. Children are innocent as will be children. I would not have done such a thing. I might have discussed with you how we do not celebrate the day and the why. I would most likely even have told your son that he made a very nice vampire but that we do not dress up on Halloween at our house.

Again though I am sorry your son got his feelings hurt the way he did. He should not be banned from playing with the other boy because he dressed up.

Raist

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

In reply, I think it is a shame that children are not allowed to be children and explore their imaginations and have a little harmless fun without the heavy burden of potential sin being laid upon them by... well-meaning adults.

But at the same time, people are allowed their beliefs and to raise their children according to them. We may not always agree... and in this case, I do not, but it is not my call. I will defend my rights just as fast as you and they undoubtedly would.

As a side note... I was raised a Southern Baptist in an age when that meant a lot of things that even today's fundamentalists don't talk about anymore. My mother raised me without the benefit of my drunk father and still managed to keep me on the grassy side of the dirt. And in the end, I was able to unscrew the programming from both religion and state... and find my own path to my own truths.

It's tough to witness this kind of thing, I know but... today's children will do the same someday. They will come though okay.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This is exactly what happens when "Christians" allow a preacher to charge them to interpret the Bible for them. Jesus would probably be handing out miracles to trick or treaters instead of making them cry.

Jesus was all about love your enemy, yet evangelical "Christians" are the first ones to cry for the murder of every last Muslim on the planet. Jesus was all about turn the other cheek, yet evangelical "Christians" are the first ones to call for bombing the Palestinians into the stone age just to bring about the Armageddon. Just because the Armageddon was written about in the Bible does not mean that it is the will of God. It is a story. It is NOT God saying "This is what I want."

There is no mandate in the Bible that gives preachers the right to pimp out the Son of God like a common twenty dollar whore. In fact, he threw the money changers out of his father's temple. Not once did Jesus tell his followers "Go forth and fleece the flock to provide for your own safety, comfort, and convenience in my name." Preachers have taken the practice of TITHING which was a burnt sacrifice offered up DIRECTLY TO GOD and made it into their magic money machine. NEVER was it given to the temple or to the priests and they have changed it to put money into their own pockets. Like pimps working a ho. Like professional con men fleecing their marks.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

This is exactly what happens when "Christians" allow a preacher to charge them to interpret the Bible for them. Jesus would probably be handing out miracles to trick or treaters instead of making them cry.

I agree completely but... we do the same thing with politics when we follow party platforms and allow ourselves to become mouthpieces for a single agenda. And to one extent or the next, we do it with other of life's facets. This is not to make an excuse for any of it but it does help to understand that it is not just those dangerous Christians that practice a little brainwashing now and again.

Best

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Most churches have a "fall festival" around halloween time. They still celebrate it, but by a different name. They have games like cake walk, and dunking for apples, and carnival midway type games. It is a fund raiser event.

The churches around here have pumpins and some even carved that are on the church steps.

The tide is changing, though, and I see a lot of churches parting from the "old ways."

Religion has always, always served to divide people and to hurt one another. Someone always has to be superiour or condescending.

We should all ask ourselves which is more important: knowledge (background and origins of the holiday) or love (treating each other kindly, no matter what the disagreement)?

So sorry your little boy was hurt over this. So sorry that he will be punished by the loss of his friend. This is how manipulation trickles down to keep us in line. It keeps us from upsetting the apple cart and status quo as we get older. The first hurts are hardest to heal and leave deep psychological impressions.

It's this type of ostracism which leads us to grow up not to question authority and leaders. More fear based psychology. Fear of loss; fear of being left out or labeled.

And this is why, like lemmings, so many will follow the one in front...right off the cliff. Children do not want to be labeled "different". They want acceptance and inclusion.

What these parents did was one of the most hurtful things they could have.

Halloween is not some serious santanic evening of blood sacrifices. It is just a fun excuse for children to have a special game and play night.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yes this is an unfortunate side effect in many Christians that causes them to react with vitriol to those who they perceive are evil or horrible sinners. They put themselves into a position of God, and call down judgment on the evil sinners.

I was like that at one time, but God revealed to me that this is not the way to convert people. Really, it was more of a second conversion for me, which I will call being regenerated.

Now I realize I'm no better than anyone else on this planet just saved by Jesus sacrifice, and forgiven for my sins. And I know where I will spend eternity after death, which is a great something to be sure of.

I'm sorry that happened, but you will find amongst the strongest "true Christians" that things like that wont happen. They will show by calm words and actions why they believe a particular thing is wrong. But this spirit of fanaticism is also in other religions like Islam.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

In reply, I think it is a shame that children are not allowed to be children and explore their imaginations and have a little harmless fun without the heavy burden of potential sin being laid upon them by... well-meaning adults.

I too believe that children should be allowed to be children!
There is too much interference with adults and what children
really need. Kids make the world!
Now ...how do I star!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I agree with the previous post, you should try to be more tolerant of your Christian neighbors.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Actually, I am very tolerant of my neighbors. Not once have I went over and clued them in on the falsity of their belief system, or had any sort of Bible discussion with them. I don't even know them, my son does. All I am saying is I think it was wrong to send a childhood friendship over a religious thing. As for educating them, I think this may be a lost cause. For many years I have tried to educate Christians with no success at all. It's the beliefs that are pounded into their heads that does the actual brainwashing, it is a fact that if a controller tells a subject a lie often enough, the subject will remember it as a truth. I have told my son these things, and that they are taught things to scare them, and that he doesn't have to believe that. He will no longer be going to their church, not if they are teaching hate.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Hey autowrench...good to hear from ya again.
Kind of missed out on your posts. Sorry to hear about your son getting upset. I actually don't like to hear about ANY religion being pushed on people. Especially young children.

They shouldn't have ruined your son's good times by telling him their beliefs.

But, we all base our belief structures on what we, as individuals, deem right or moral. So if a person thinks they are morally obligated to impose a religious way of thinking on another, especially a child, that person really has no clue on the mind of a child.

Innocence is a virtue we all lose with age.

This is just my humble opinion.

top topics

join