It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non Lethal Police Weapons - What You Should Know

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The scenario is this, the financial system is in near collapse, order has broken down, there's trouble on the streets, it's not quite martial law, but police are patrolling and either you are caught up in a street protest or you're actively involved in one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac43bec22f64.jpg[/atsimg]

Everything is going fine, but all of a sudden trouble breaks out when a police officer takes offence to a comment from a protester.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ff9ddb1c2f3.jpg[/atsimg]

This spark ignites a fire of indignation amongst the previously peaceful protesters, leaving the police no option but to intervene with riot gear as the protesters get more vocal and violent.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e195ead0ec6.jpg[/atsimg]

These are some of the weapons they will have against you:

TEAR GAS

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aa338f567543.jpg[/atsimg]

www.blackcrosscollective.org...
PROTECTION AGAINST TEAR GAS AND PEPPER SPRAY, 101

Tear gas (also called CS, CN, or CX) and pepper spray (OC) are chemical compounds that are weapons designed to be used by the military and police to disperse crowds and subdue individuals. They are mucous membrane (the inside of your mouth and nose, among other places, are lined with mucous membranes) and skin irritants. They are mixed with solvents, and delivered through the use of propellants. Some of these solvents are registered with the US Environmental Protection Agency as causing cancer, birth defects and genetic mutations.

How They Are Deployed:
Tear gas and pepper spray can be sprayed from small hand-held dispensers or large fire-extinguisher size tanks. Pepper spray also comes in plastic projectiles which are fired at the chest to knock the wind out of a person, who then takes a deep breath, of pepper from the burst projectile. Tear gas is most commonly deployed via canisters, which are fired into crowds, sometimes directly at people. It's important that you know not to pick up the canisters without gloves as they are extremely hot.

How They Affect You:

If you are exposed to either, you may experience:
* stinging, burning in your eyes, nose, mouth and skin
* excessive tearing, causing your vision to blur
* runny nose
* increased salivation
* coughing and difficulty breathing
* disorientation, confusion and sometimes panic
* intense anger from pepper spray exposure is a common response; this can be useful if you are prepared for it and are able to focus it towards recovery and returning to the action.

The good news is that this is temporary.

Discomfort from tear gas usually disappears after 5-30 minutes, while the worst pepper spray discomfort may take 20 minutes to 2 hours to subside...

WATER CANNONS

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9af72e6b0b10.jpg[/atsimg]

These are quite nasty, and have been known to strip clothes, rupture spleens and push people over resulting in broken bones among other injuries.

I would just recommend finding cover, or getting the hell out, as getting a serious injury won't help anyone!

LRAD Long Range Acoustic Device

This is some scary stuff right here:

How Stuff Works

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b778508964c9.png[/atsimg]

Getting info on these devices, and how to combat them isn't easy, I've tried.

The general consensus is that earplugs don't work due to the nature of the sound waves. Apparently the sound vibrates through the body and not just through the air to your ear.

I read that 'Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones' offer some protection, how ever the wisdom of wearing these during a protest may be questionable.

TASER

Taser FAQs from Taser.co.uk, read the sales stuff, but it's better to watch it in practice!

I can't find any information on what to do if you're tasered, my only advice, DON'T GET TASERED!

NON-LETHAL ROUND

Wikipedia

Non-lethal or less-lethal rounds are firearm rounds which are designed to incapacitate, but not kill, a target. The rounds rely on the transfer of kinetic energy to accomplish this incapacitation.

Types of Non Lethal Rounds for Handguns

Rubber Bullets
A handgun can be loaded with rubber bullet rounds that are meant to be non-lethal. These bullets are designed to be effective at short ranges to incapacitate, but without causing lethal injury. These bullets still are fired at a very high rate of speed, so it would be very painful to be hit with one. Rubber bullets will not penetrate the skin, but they will leave welts that will need to be medically treated.

Wax Bullets
Wax bullets are made from paraffin wax and are an alternative to metal bullets. Wax bullets are not meant to be lethal, but they could penetrate skin at close ranges or at sensitive locations on the body.

Plastic Bullets
Plastic bullets are commonly used for target practice. They also are used by police for riot control. Plastic bullets are made for most all types of firearms, including handguns.

Bean Bag Rounds
A bean bag round, which also is known as a flexible baton round, is primarily used by police for riot control. However, bean bag rounds can also be purchased for individual guns as a non-lethal round. Much like the rubber bullet, a bean bag round shoots at a high rate of speed. Bean bag rounds are not made to penetrate the skin, but they will incapacitate a target and leave a large welt.

Electric Bullet
A technology known as the shock round, is an electric bullet which is a non-lethal round. Acting much like a Taser or other electric shock weapon, the electric bullet is a metal or rubber bullet that is shot out of a gun to incapacitate a person. Upon hitting a target, an electrical charge is released which affects the central nervous system and send a jolt of electricity through the body. It has a farther range than most other non-lethal rounds.

Well ATS, I hope that you never have the opportunity to experience any of the weapons I've outlined today. But if the time comes, and you're compelled to act, I hope this info gives you an idea of the weapons they'll use against you.

Peace ATS, Kiwifoot.

Quoting External Sources - Please Review This Link

[edit on Sun Nov 1 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

The scenario is this, the financial system is in near collapse, order has broken down, there's trouble on the streets, it's not quite martial law, but police are patrolling and either you are caught up in a street protest or you're actively involved in one.

Best advice I would say would be to avoid such incidences, Stay indoors or away from the streets, stay indoors

(changed code tags to quote tags)

[edit on Sun Nov 1 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RjKon

Oh I don't disagree with you there mate, but you never know, there may come a time when the choice is made for you.

A little knowledge may save your bacon one day!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. The information could prove to be invaluable to people. The thought of being hit with an LRAD is scary to me. I hope I'm never in any of those situations.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominika
Thank you for posting this. The information could prove to be invaluable to people. The thought of being hit with an LRAD is scary to me. I hope I'm never in any of those situations.

They do seem quite effective at crowd dispersal, and I suppose the potential for actual ear damage is quite high.

I too hope that I never need the information, but it's good to have, all the same!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'm a paramedic and we carry small bottles of Johnson's Baby Shampoo for pepper spray victims.

We also had some neutralizer, but I believe it was the same sort of stuff mentioned by the OP.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I think, in a true SHTF scenario, that the people will be able to create some counter measures of their own...
What would really be neat is finding a way to create a small, directed EMP blast, thus rendering the LRAD and most police electronics useless
not sure how far away we are from said technology, but necessity is the mother of all invention

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
I think, in a true SHTF scenario, that the people will be able to create some counter measures of their own...
What would really be neat is finding a way to create a small, directed EMP blast, thus rendering the LRAD and most police electronics useless
not sure how far away we are from said technology, but necessity is the mother of all invention

I read that some protesters think that the LRAD could be disabled by landing a blow on the large circular dish that emits the noise.

Maybe with a paint bomb or some such sticky liquid.

But it's not definite.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
I'm a paramedic and we carry small bottles of Johnson's Baby Shampoo for pepper spray victims.

We also had some neutralizer, but I believe it was the same sort of stuff mentioned by the OP.

Thanks for that!

I read your post in a hurry this morning and thought you said " I'm a paranoid!" not "paramedic"...time for an eye test I think lol!

All the best, kiwifoot

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot

I read that some protesters think that the LRAD could be disabled by landing a blow on the large circular dish that emits the noise.

But it's not definite.

If it was built for Iraq I'm sure it's shock proof and water proof...Maybe right now our best defense is to lobby for it to be made illegal for use on US citizens...until the SHTF then people will find a way

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

You are probably right there, I hadn't thought of that,

I was surprised to see it used at the G20, on US soil.

I'll check and see if there is any legal attempt under way to do just that!

kiwifoot

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

Thanks for that!

I read your post in a hurry this morning and thought you said " I'm a paranoid!" not "paramedic"...time for an eye test I think lol!

All the best, kiwifoot

Well... I *am* paranoid as well! lol

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

But it's not definite.

If it was built for Iraq I'm sure it's shock proof and water proof...Maybe right now our best defense is to lobby for it to be made illegal for use on US citizens...until the SHTF then people will find a way

I doubt it being that tough. It's still an experimental weapon and not squaddie proof. Environmentally sealed maybe, but that's about it.

Paint balls and water, it'll damage the resonance and frequency a bit.
Earplugs AND ear defenders. You'll double up the protection.
I don't buy into them not being affected. I've worked in areas offshore with big noise and they do work.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

I wish I had the link, but I read from one of the protesters at the G20 that the plugs don't work, the frequency travels through the plugs as if they weren't there.

Not very scientific I know, damn I wish I had the link.

Will try and find it again.

Or get some confirmation on the whole earplug thing.

But it doesn't make sense to develop a weapon that can be defeated by ear plugs, IMO.

But who knows mate, you could be right.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Does any have any theories on whether tin foil would possibly repel these frequencies or maybe jam them?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sickle_And_Hammer
Does any have any theories on whether tin foil would possibly repel these frequencies or maybe jam them?

Good Idea, we could just tear a strip off from our hats, and fold them down to prepare our ears!!

But on a serious note, I'm not sore of the ability of foil to prevent sound waves passing through it.

A quick google didn't find anything!

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think there must be some type of simple defense against LRAD.
How are the riot cops on the scene not affected?

I think it has be more than staying out of the "sound beam".

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Starred and Flagged!

Thanks for a well structured and informative thread, I really liked how the pictures helped set the scene and the information you have outlined is all very useful to know.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

No worries! Like I've posted before, I'd prefer not to ever need this info, but you never know!

Take care!

Kiwifoot

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Cover your face. Sonic waves hitting your jawbone will cause it to vibrate, and the jawbone comes up very close to your inner ear. Think about it... when you're on a plane, chewing gum helps the earache you get from the changing air pressure go away. An ear infection can cause toothaches. Bad cavities can make your inner ears hurt. They even make communication devices that work through the jawbone.

To block the LRAD, you could try making a balaclava out of sound dampening material. It would be bulky, but it might work.

Tear gas and pepper spray can be purchased by civilians. Pepper spray is available at most sporting goods stores - sometimes marketed as "bear spray." "Mace" is a proprietary blend of both pepper spray and tear gas. If it concerns you, buy a bunch of mace and start building up an immunity. Start with small exposures and work your way up. At one point in my life, I was able to spice my food with pepper spray (it's not intended to be edible, but since it's designed to be sprayed in the face it's not going to poison you either.) That immunity seems to have faded.

I've also heard that wrapping a wet rag around your face will help prevent you from breathing in tear gas, but that still leaves your eyes exposed so I don't know how effective it is.

Partial immunity can also be built up to Tasers, but not full immunity. You can buy ordinary stun guns for as low as 20 bucks online, and work on resisting the pain response that Tasers invoke. Unfortunately, Tasers are also programmed to override the commands of your nervous system. This is different from simply being stunned by pain. You can build resistance to pain, but your nervous system will always work by electricity. In essence, the Taser will probably still knock you down. You'll just be able to get back up quickly, unlike most people.

Your choices then are either submit to the police to stop the Tasing, or yank the barbs out (ouch?) the moment the electricity stops (assuming your hands are still free) or the instant they hit you.

I'm not sure if you can train your body to over-ride the Taser's electric pulse or not in order to build up full immunity, but doing so would probably require you to use a brand name Taser. These are 400-500 dollar devices, and cost about 25 dollars every time you fire them. They also require a background check and computer activation to get them to function, so... it would be expensive.

Non lethal bullets... um... take cover?

new topics

top topics

join