It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use the internet more than most? You might be insane.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Came across this little item here what a load of bull.

Issues for DSM-V: Internet Addiction
Jerald J. Block, M.D.
Internet addiction appears to be a common disorder that merits inclusion in DSM-V. Conceptually, the diagnosis is a compulsive-impulsive spectrum disorder that involves online and/or offline computer usage (1, 2) and consists of at least three subtypes: excessive gaming, sexual preoccupations, and e-mail/text messaging (3). All of the variants share the following four components: 1) excessive use, often associated with a loss of sense of time or a neglect of basic drives, 2) withdrawal, including feelings of anger, tension, and/or depression when the computer is inaccessible, 3) tolerance, including the need for better computer equipment, more software, or more hours of use, and 4) negative repercussions, including arguments, lying, poor achievement, social isolation, and fatigue (3, 4).
-from ajp.psychiatryonline.org...

1) Excessive use- You use the internet more than most? That would apply to most people that post in forums. Nevermind the fact when people who do not use computers need answers where do they go? The forums. yeah your are type one

2)feelings of anger, tension, and/or depression when the computer is inaccessible- Can't get to your email and you are pissed? Yeah you are type two.

3)Tolerance, including the need for better computer equipment- Yeah the somputer industry is set up so that about every year or so if you did not build a top shelf desk top your computer is probably obsolete, and you would be type 3.

4) negative repercussions, including arguments, lying, poor achievement, social isolation, and fatigue- Yeah this one is more for retards that try to bring the internet into the real world. Causing problems like wearing an afro and sunglasses while yelling the pool is closed due to aids at a public place, or wearing a zippo cat t-shirt and wondering why do people hate me? But yeah that is type 4.

All of these are very subjective criterion which a would put a label on internet users and ultimately some kind of medication.

Guess what they are basing this off a study done in Korea

Some of the most interesting research on Internet addiction has been published in South Korea

Any gammer knows that in Korea they are all still playing starcraft like it is the newest coolest game around and THAT is a the problem not how much time they spend playing it lol.
They are currently using lexapro to treat it
www.netaddiction.com...
these are the side effects of lexapro.

Headache ,Nausea, Ejaculation problems, Extreme tiredness, Insomnia, Dry mouth , Fatigue, Increased sweating , Diarrhea, A decreased sex drive, Orgasm problems, Constipation, and Dizziness.

"Man with all or even some of these things going on with me as a side effect of this medication I do not feel like going out andi do not feel like surfin the net. I'll just sit on the couch and watch TV. Im glad im cured"

So the new DSM come out in may 2012 so expect to see comercials for a drug and to ask your doctor about it.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sadly, I think I have a problem.

I easily fit into those categories, and have for quite awhile now. Closer to 10 years I'd say. If I'm awake and not at work, I'm usually in front of the computer doing something.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

like i said any member on any forum would fall under this "dissorder"

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Oh BOY! More "ills" to sell drugs for! I'm so glad I own a pharmaceutical company!

Oh. Wait. I don't own one. But I know there are those who do. Guess THEY're glad to be able to rack up another "disease" that they can convince people and parents to buy medication for.

Geez. I hate Big Pharma. Evil F#s, they are.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

So its not a disorder to communicate with people, who you would not normally communicate with in the real world.

What is eating normally a disorder, now because we get hungry if we do not eat, lol.

Most people have an addiction of the net who use it, so what?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Sweet! I'm in. Unapologetically.

We all have some sort of disorder or another. At least this one is enjoyable. What else would I do with my time if I didn't have ATS?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

Too right, ccrazy having people telling us what we can do, as long as its not a crime, they not not be judging us or speculating on our pass times.

This world

Commit loads of crimes. = your sane (majority commit crimes, so your insane if you do not commit any crimes)

stay on net and never do any wrong = your crazy.

The world is upside down, with useless brained morons, who think we should live like them.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
While I can understand that the diagnosis are likely based on an assumption for what a healthy lifestyle is like I am going to have to disagree. For many, the internet has allowed for an increase in socialization and as well the physiological rewards that come along with it...to an extent I suppose.

Also...what of the earlier comment related to television? The internet in many cases is superior to the couch potato syndrome in that it is interactive.

I don't portend to know everything about this but I am going to have to disagree with this report...

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Also...what of the earlier comment related to television? The internet in many cases is superior to the couch potato syndrome in that it is interactive.

It was meant as a joke in reference to the side effects of the drugs not feeling like going out because of the side effects and not wanting to use the net as a result of the "treatment" for "internet addiction".
I agree though the net is more social than any television set.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

I agree though the net is more social than any television set.

And the TV is mindless. On the internet, you do actually have to read. At least a little. Lord knows here on ATS, we all read ALL DAY LONG.

Maybe the next generations will be stong readers, as long as they can stay away from YouTube.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Being on net at least talking to people in this way, is atleast very helpful for people who are very shy etc...

I am sure lots of us all over the net, would not speak to alot of others like this in real life. I agree it might not be like talking person to person, but its more healthy than just being a coach potato, and just watching mundane films and programs.

If the net is all you have, so what, are you harming anyone.

If we had no net, i would guess alot of us would at most just have our couple of friends etc... and most people will not speak of the issues we talk of here.

So up yours to the doctors who may think its unhealthy, maybe if people where more emapthic to begin with alot of us, would like to talk to them etc... but people alot of the time are not like that and just two faced morons.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Its not so much internet for me, as the pc in general.

Rather I have internet or not (granted that me not having it is quite rare) I'm on the computer from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed.

I think just saying everyone who posts on forums suffers from it is a bit broad. I know tons of people who are active on sites like myspace, other forums etc.. But they still seem to lead a normal life, and get along well in life.

My "addiction" has seriously hampered my life and my relationships. It caused much strife in my past relationship and it is a big reason if not the main contributing factor to that relationship failing.

I don't have much interest in doing much else anymore than playing games, browsing websites, or just sitting doing nothing in front of the computer.

It feels odd speaking this out loud, especially on a public forum. But they say a big part of getting over an issue is realizing you have a problem and getting it out in the open. The only person that I've really ever talked about it with is my ex, and only then because of how it was hurting our relationship.

It really is hard to get across the severity of my personal situation. But believe me when I say that for atleast the past 8 years. LITERALLY from the time I wake till the time I go to bed, you'll find me at the pc. I have a compulsive personality, and I feel like its something I have to do rather than something I want to do. And as much in the past as I've tried to get through it I'm always back at the same place I started.

I don't really understand it all and I am still trying to figure it all out. Taking drugs for it is something I would never do. But its a very real, and serious problem for me.

Yet, here I am.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
im:

-crazy: positive

-normal: never

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
What's more than most?

Who are these people who tally up and go to door and collect information about our "average" internet usage?

How can such things be accurately compiled and researched when most internet is on all the time if your pc is on.

Strange concept. Just another way to villify the internet and make way for " Internet2--Welcome To The Cloud ".

Ridiculous if you ask me. I definetly have a problem then since I work in a field which requires me to constantly use the internet.

Gee, I hope my call center workers aren't all messed up cause I have them use web based applications all day.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ironically they have based the study off of internet cafes, people who use internet cafes are normally people who do not have internet access at home so they use the internet less than people who do.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

HA!

Well that's of course to be expected. Call the people who use the internet EVEN less than those with it at home crazy and watch the nation turn on itself.

Really though, these people have nothing better else to do? Isn't there some disease they could be researching instead of social trends?

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by platipus
im:

-crazy: positive

-normal: never

Aren't we all, lol

At least we know how looney the whole world is.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Though I do not share the OPs opinion on the matter, nevertheless S&F to you for bringing this our attention. No, it's not a scam, it's a real problem and part of computer addiction in general. I know because I am both excessively addicted to the Internet and to PC Gaming. Fortunately, it's just a psychological addiction which usually is not very strong. I imagine that Nicotin addiction which has the strongest psychological addiction among drugs, both legal and illegal, is much more difficult to fight than computer and Internet addiction. And no, drugs will not be the solution to this - it requires a more behavioural approach; think behaviour modification techniques.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by WalterRatlos]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Came across this little item here what a load of bull.

2)feelings of anger, tension, and/or depression when the computer is inaccessible- Can't get to your email and you are pissed? Yeah you are type two.

everyone knows this feeling...
the day trader reeling with anxiety from the day before's selloff.
the sports fan who needs the latest scores
the evacuees of the latest hurricane du jour checking updates..
to the overseas G.I who wants to see the new pics of his newborn baby.
aaaand.. the psychiatrists who's client schedule is on the computer

as typing/texting becomes as common if not more common than using our mouth/vocal cords for communication... the feeling is analogous to the image of Neo from the Matrix having his mouth dissappear by the Agents.

this guy needs to label himself insane for not understanding the progression of technology and society.

freaking luddite moron.

-

[edit on 30-10-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

yeah these guys are always behind the times. Remember, homosexuality was a "mental illness" untill i think it was the 60's. When people got pissed and protested it they removed it from the list. Must be a very scientific subject if a protest can change your facts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join