It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dungeon Rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well, it's that time of year again and with Halloween tomorrow, I thought it fitting for a Ghost story.

Dungeon Rock

True story: Dungeon Rock I implore you to look it up before I start:
www.flw.org...

This is not a second telling, I was there.

Back in the late 80's, a couple of my brothers, some friends and I, decide to explore Dungeon Rock.

We planned ahead, took 3 flash lights and most importantly one of the best lock picks we knew..

Billy (RIP) was a genius but applied his vast knowledge in society's less favorable trades; it was a well known secret that he could open most locks in seconds (one's imagination could figure out the rest when it applied to his "skills" and how he used them in his private world)...

Back to the story:
At the time, we all thought Dungeon Rock was a place where Black Beard buried his treasure, but in fact history records he was really a pirate named Thomas Veal.

Dungeon Rock or DR from this point on, is a strange and eerily quiet spot in the middle of the woods. It seemed to always become dead quite before you realized it.

On the way into the woods, there are many sounds of birds and small animals but not in the vicinity around DR. The entrance to the Dungeon is located between a split in the bed rock.

At the time, there was a very old, sturdy, thick, metal barred door. This door was double locked, but Billy (our two legged can opener), opened that door as easy as if he had a key. He, more then once, looked me straight in the eyes and said in that very quiet single toned voice of his:"Locks are a lot like drugs, makes you feel good until you realize what a waste they are when everything in your life is gone"

We all started down the short flight of old wooden stairs. DR is carved right out of the bed rock itself. Very much like a semi-round hole twisting into the earth like some sort of perverted stone spiral stair case but without the stairs. Within a few feet from that door and staircase, it is absolutely pitch black.

Without that single opening, you are completely encased in solid rock. The floor is crushed stone, likely from the drilling machines or blasting from back in the day.

The air, or lack of it, becomes oppressive as you get deeper. This is not the place to be if you have phobias of the dark or enclosed spaces, not at all... as we were walking Billy nonchalantly said "I bet this is pretty much what its like to wake up in a coffin buried alive". I said "yea, “pretty much” but thanks for the thoughts".

If I knew then, what I know about poisonous gases that leak from the depths that can kill you before you even knew what was going on, I would have never went down there without proper equipment. But we did and to the bottom of that abyss.

Here at the bottom is were everything in my world changed forever. Everyone from that expedition was effected, one of which pretty much became a basket case because of what was about to happen....

[edit on 30-10-2009 by kneverr]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
In order to understand the events that would follow:

There were 6 of us. 3 had flash lights. I was one of the light holders. My flashlight was ironically one of the kind that needed a good tap every once in a while, to keep it on. This will become an important fact. As we came around the final twisting, downward passage, we could go no further due to the fact of being filled with water. It looked like a small pond of foul, putrefied water. It was perfectly smooth and had what looked like moss or such, floating on top.

I was closest to the waters edge and almost touching the inner wall (Picture a spiral stair case and if I was touching the center column). Two people stood behind me at the time and also close to the inner wall, one of which had the 2nd flash light. The other 3, were closer to the outer wall, one of which had the 3rd flash light. Bow was one of those three (the one without the light) and the next closest to the water, but about 8 feet from the waters edge.

It suddenly became ice cold, I noticed my breath for the first time. I was just sweating the second before and should be warm this far under ground. Everyone started asking the same thing, "is it getting ice cold down here.." but before anyone could finish, came a breeze. I have to tell you right now, I do not exaggerate... There we all stood like statues, hundreds of feet encased in solid bedrock, trying to guess why or how an ice cold breeze was coming from when.............

......ALL THE FLASH LIGHTS WENT OUT AND IN PERFECT UNISON......

I kid you NOT. My first thought was everyone was messing around and that the other two flash light holders were just waiting for my light to "blink" out again so they would shut their lights out on queue.

But it was not to be, because just after that point when the lights went out, you heard the most spine chilling, terrified SCREAM! All I could hear was someone fighting for their life, then a sickening *THUD*, dead silence, followed by what sounded like gravel being dragged, then SPLASHING, then that horrid SCREAMING AGAIN!

I have to tell you, I'm the one in the group everyone looked at to always keep his head. I decided to act. I started to yell for everyone to stop joking around! This is when I realized they all thought I was the one "joking" around and it unhinged the whole group when they realized I was not. I was hammering my flashlight this whole time but to no avail.

The screaming STOPPED once again. I figured someone was dead this time, for sure. I calmly told everyone in a stern voice "Get to the inner wall and lock hands with the person in front of you and behind. I'm closest to the waters edge so follow my voice to the wall and reach out with both hands once you do. Follow the wall until you touch the person in front of you. By the way, if anyone is messing around at this point, know right NOW that you will be losing teeth once we get to the top."

I was already, almost, against the inner wall. I reached my arm to the person in front of me (upward direction) and just to make sure no one, some how, got between me and the water, I reach my other hand in that direction. This is when things got BAD.

When I reach-out with my hand toward the upward direction of the wall, I locked wrists with the person in front of me. My other hand holding the flashlight, was now stretched out toward the water (slightly downward dir.). I knew no one was in back of me, at least by this corner of the waters edge.......... Suddenly I felt, to what this day, I can only describe as three bony fingers, grab my hand!

My hand and arm became like ice causing me to drop my flashlight and yell out in true pain! This very uncharacteristic, painful yell from me, cause what little confidence that I had given the group, to dry up. Everyone started to panic, 6 strong young men started to lose it....

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Just as suddenly and strangely as the lights went out, they all came on, just as perfectly as if they were one single flashlight.

My light was on the ground, on. I was looking at a ripple in the water that was moving as if something just went under. I looked to the other side of the wall, where our friend Bow use-to-be last standing 8 feet from the waters edge but now he (Bow) was almost touching the waters edge, huddled in a ball, rocking back in forth like some poor rape victim.

I grabbed my flash light and walked over to him, we all did. He was in shock, he was cold and mumbling to himself over and over incoherently. He was wet from the mid waste down, his left pant leg was torn to pieces.

When I got a closer look, he had a red bruise of a perfect hand print wrapped around his leg, right above his ankle.

There were drag marks in the crushed stone floor, as if he was dragged from where he was last standing, to where he sat huddled on the floor.

He (Bow) was like a zombie and it was very difficult for us to carry him out.

I lost touch with Bow many years ago, not due to my own fault.

Bow withdrew from everyone over the course of months after we left DR.

He never once spoke of it on his own accord and would completely go nuts if you pressured him during that time... which we did, even threatened to hurt him if he didn't tell us what the hell exactly happen to him (we were young & didn't really mean it… well maybe a little, just to help jog his memory).

He would always just laugh at us with this strange look and say "You were there, you know! Now "F" off & die"

He was committed to a puzzle factory (sanitarium) about a year later and will never forget it because it is how I came up with the name "puzzle factory". During a visit, they actually had a Rubik's cube on the table in front of some poor, drooling soul, who could do nothing but stare at thing (cube), looking very much the way you would picture a cave man trying to comprehend a cell phone... Why he was strapped to the chair was beyond me because he could only do the Thorazine shuffle, even if he wasn't locked down. I laughed then, but now-a-days I don't find such things funny

I have never been back to DR and will never step foot inside that place again. Not because I'm afraid, it's just I feel that the place is like a grave yard and it wasn't right to go done there to being with. Call it getting older and wiser about things.

In many ways when I think back to those days, it helps me realize that there is more to this life, than will ever meet the eyes.

Pictures leading up to and inside Dungeon Rock:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/905ed6c05526.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fbdd635e3a91.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afc925be22f0.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60b71e319fb5.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/158b81a70f11.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5aea5179ff54.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e53722b51408.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9e36060dbe23.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ceb3294cbf8d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
true or not, it was a good story. Do you assert that it is true, or is it just a good story? Folks here will be asking for the name of the hospital Bow went to and what his last name is.

I will just accept that you tell a good story. happy Halloween.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Great story.
Creepy as Hell, and I read Lovecraft, Blackwood, Smith and King, so I do know creepy.
Thanks.
I have to echo the previous question though.
Is there really any truth to it?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Hi friend, thank you.

Yes, the story is absolutely true (I wish that I had such an imagination or want to make-up or exaggerate such a story), but since my brothers or friends would never give me permission to ever post this story and the fact that I too will always choose privacy over proving this event, one-way or the other; let us just caulk it up to a good (or bad) Ghost Story for everyone to enjoy for Halloween... in order to save everyone time or arguments.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Did the hand that grabbed you feel scaley, slimy, what?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Lynn Woods,

Been there many times and I am familiar with the tales of that cave. I cant say I remember your story though
The door was put up to keep people out. The tunnel was created in the mid 1800s, not byBlack Beard.

Great place for Mountain Biking though

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Did the hand that grabbed you feel scaley, slimy, what?

I still have a hard time believing something actually "grabbed" me but what ever it was; it was hard, sectional, cause great pain directly where it grabbed my hand/wrist area and left my hand wet (slimy, a bit yes). As I recall, my arm was ice cold to the touch and felt like I slept on it from the elbow down, which took a little time to feel normal once again.

Originally posted by IntelRetard
Lynn Woods,

Been there many times and I am familiar with the tales of that cave. I cant say I remember your story though
The door was put up to keep people out. The tunnel was created in the mid 1800s, not byBlack Beard.

Great place for Mountain Biking though

Growing up, I too explored the area many times but was only ever inside DR that one time, which wound up to be the last time I was ever there. It was always locked and at the time I knew little about DR's history (internet or even having a computer was not even a thought for me and information on such things was not as easy as it is now... not even close).

You may have misread what I said friend, I did say that it was in fact the Pirate Thomas Veal and not Black Beard.
" At the time, we all thought Dungeon Rock was a place where Black Beard buried his treasure, but in fact history records he was really a pirate named Thomas Veal."

I agree, the area was great for mountain biking and exploring.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kneverr

the pictures of the door being open were taken when you were there that one time?

I am sorry for your friend Bow. Great story though. Thanks for sharing with us.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Awesome story!

Just in time for halloween! Makes me wonder thought, why hasn't anyone done actual research in this DR?
You would think the History Channel would make a ghost show about it...

Great read! Sorry about bow too.
S&F!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You have got to be out of your ever lovin minds to go down there
.I know
I sound like your parents, but I realise I'm not and you still, have got
to be out of your ever lovin minds. I wouldn't ever even have made it passed the door. I can tell you why too.
Straight out, tar and feather me cause I' m a chicken. That's right Fear.
And I would have been happy with my fear. I would have been thanking
my fear for being there for me when I needed it most. Even as It knew I
was thinking of abandoning it. It stuck by me. I would be singing praises
to my fear.
My fear and I. Happy together.
We would have went home together and people would never seen us apart.

SNF But you are out of your lovin mind.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by kneverr

the pictures of the door being open were taken when you were there that one time?

I am sorry for your friend Bow. Great story though. Thanks for sharing with us.

No, The above images I found online about a year ago and have no idea who posted them. I know the last thing we would have ever thought of taking, back then, would have been a camera.

Your concern for Bow is truly appreciated friend.

Originally posted by havok
Awesome story!

Just in time for halloween! Makes me wonder thought, why hasn't anyone done actual research in this DR?
You would think the History Channel would make a ghost show about it...

Great read! Sorry about bow too.
S&F!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for your kind words.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thank you for your story, kneverr. So, how long until a few ATSers plan an expedition to Dungeon Rock?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandmas Muppet Hole

Shame, I missed what you said, but I must admit that I'm some what curious to what it was that you couldn't say, without breaking the rules (?)

Originally posted by greatpiino
Thank you for your story, kneverr. So, how long until a few ATSers plan an expedition to Dungeon Rock?

My pleasure Greatpiino, thank you.

I too was wondering if this may get a few ATS ghost hunters interested in an expedition of their own and go down there with some proper recording equipment... it would be interesting to say the least.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by kneverr]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm in Rhode Island. If a few people end up planning a little picnic in Lynn Woods next spring, get in touch with me.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Hi kneverr, excellent story - really enjoyed it. I'm less sceptical than most due to my own unexplainable experiences. If I ever make it over to Lynn, I'd very much like to pay this little cave a visit.

Thanks for sharing!

top topics

join