It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A False Sense of Insecurity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

- ter·ror·ism
n. The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Today i came across an article that peaked my interest.

Recently i have been thinking about the absurdity of the 'War on Terror' and its effects on the mass public. The article, entitled Why Sustainability, not Terrorism, Should Be Our Real Security Focus posed questions like...

What really threatens us? How do we truly make ourselves safer?

It concludes by saying:

We can build a bright green society, one which will give our kids a future. We can build a much safer society, one which will increase our kids chances of growing up healthy to live in that future. By and large, the steps involved in building both are the same, and none of them involve color-coded terror alerts. The time has come to stop living in fear, and start building a better world.

Sentiments we can all agree with im sure.

Within the article however, my attention was diverted to another link, a paper from The Cato Institute (a conservative thinktank), entitled A False Sense of Insecurity.

Its sub-heading reads:

How does the risk of terrorism measure up against everyday dangers?

It raises some very interesting points, as follows:

Throughout all this, there is a perspective on terrorism that has been very substantially ignored. It can be summarized, somewhat crudely, as follows:
- Assessed in broad but reasonable context, terrorism generally does not do much damage.
- The costs of terrorism very often are the result of hasty, ill-considered, and overwrought reactions.

For all the attention it evokes, terrorism actually causes rather little damage and the likelihood that any individual will become a victim in most places is microscopic. Those adept at hyperbole like to proclaim that we live in “the age of terror.” However, while obviously deeply tragic for those directly involved, the number of people worldwide who die as a result of international terrorism is generally only a few hundred a year, tiny compared to the numbers who die in most civil wars or from automobile accidents. In fact, in almost all years, the total number of people worldwide who die at the hands of international terrorists anywhere in the world is not much more than the number who drown in bathtubs in the United States.

It concludes:

Deep concern about extreme events is not necessarily unreasonable or harmful. Thus, efforts to confront terrorism and reduce its incidence and destructiveness are justified. But hysteria is hardly required. As always, there are uncertainties and risks out there, and plenty of dangers and threats. But none are existential. The sky, as it happens, is unlikely to fall anytime soon.

Please spend the time and read it. Its very interesting.

It seems we are the victims of terrorism. But the perpetrators do not live in caves, carry AK-47's or wear turbans. They live in swanky apartments, carry expensive briefcases and wear thousand dollar suits.

tERRORism

Remember......dont believe 'the truth'

Peace.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yep because of that one word, everyone is america probably has no privacy whatsoever. They probably know what your all doing already. Same in uk. Not sure about the rest of the world.

One word that really means nothing in our society has brought about rubbish beyond our dreams, in terms of perving government busy bodies.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Good Points...

The word terrorism itself has done more damage than terrorism.

When trying to convince someone that 9/11 was perpetrated by some form of our own government. I like to refer back to Rahm Emanuel saying you can "never let a serious crisis go to waste."

After talking about that i can usually get people to concede that it is possible this same mentality came into play. That with a crisis of 9/11 and only with something like that would we have been able to invade Afghanistan.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by unfndqlt]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
i often try to tell people this, but most dont pay attention or care.

i like the bathtub fact though..more people die from bathtubs in the US than die from international terrorists

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by unfndqlt

That video doesn't work

As for what you said:

The word terrorism itself has done more damage than terrorism.

How very true

Words are powerful things, especially when they are repeated like a mantra and become ingrained within us. Then add negative connotations and Roberts your mothers brother. Fear.

[edit on 05/08/2009 by LiveForever8]

new topics

top topics

join