It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover Influenza's Achilles Heel: Antioxidants - A Good Excuse to Drink Red Wine!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
As we approach flu season, and with the furore and confusion about Swine Flu everywhere, you may be tempted to hit the bottle ATS!

Well if you do, please make sure it's Red Wine!

ScienceDaily

As the nation copes with a shortage of vaccines for H1N1 influenza, a team of Alabama researchers have raised hopes that they have found an Achilles' heel for all strains of the flu -- antioxidants.

Cool!

The researchers made this discovery by conducting three sets of experiments using the M2 protein and the lung protein they damage.

First, frog eggs were injected with the lung protein alone to measure its function. Second, researchers injected frog eggs with both the M2 protein and the lung protein and found that the function of the lung protein was significantly decreased. Using molecular biology techniques, scientists isolated the segment of the M2 protein responsible for the damage to the lung protein. Then they demonstrated that without this segment, the protein was unable to cause damage. Third, the full M2 protein (with the "offending" segment intact) and the lung protein were then re-injected into the frog eggs along with drugs known to remove oxidants. This too prevented the M2 protein from causing damage to the lung protein. These experiments were repeated using cells from human lungs with exactly the same results.

But, most importantly:

"and as Thanksgiving approaches, this discovery is another reason to drink red wine to your health."

Red Wine and Antioxidants

So now you have another excuse ATS!

You're welcome!

[edit on 30-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Do not care what red wine does, disgusting to me, and i never drink.

People love doing these stories, to justify why they drink.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Man chill out, it was meant as a bit of fun, maybe if you did drink you may not be so tightly wound!

But there are many other sources of antioxidants, dark chocolate, brazil nuts, apple juice, carrots.

Sheesh, the words 'light hearted fun' should be struck from the ATS vocabulary!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Then take vitamin c, or somesuch? Or are you ignorant to the fact there are many, MANY, sources of antioxidants?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikhart
Then take vitamin c, or somesuch? Or are you ignorant to the fact there are many, MANY, sources of antioxidants?

Er no, are you aware that having a sense of humour is not illegal on ATS?

If you check my post in reply to andy I've given a few examples of other sources of AO.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
funny how they make it sound like nobody ever knew?!?! I guess on a "scientific" level it is a ....big ..revelation or understanding. science trying to catch up with the rest of us.........

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Resveratrol, is the form I take the red wine antioxidant, I been using them with other herb for the control of high blood pressure, it is working for me, but if it helps with the Influenza then better for me.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

How incredibly incensitive to those with alchol problems, Maybe you should think before you post. What do you recomend i give wine to my children? Disgusting!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Just kidding, I've been pumping airborne myself. Along with green tea since beer doesn't have any antioxidents.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Kiwifoot.....am still chuckling....
Gives me just one more reason to enjoy that medicinal glass or two!!!
Without offering up inappropriately either.....

TYTY

Namaste

ZM

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by anotherdad

Just kidding, I've been pumping airborne myself. Along with green tea since beer doesn't have any antioxidents.

Oh thank GOD!

I thought the world had gone mad!

If people are freaking out about a little alcohol humour, on a Friday Night, I fear for the world!

[edit on 30-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zandermander
Kiwifoot.....am still chuckling....
Gives me just one more reason to enjoy that medicinal glass or two!!!
Without offering up inappropriately either.....

TYTY

Namaste

ZM

Cheers ZM, was beginning to think I really touched a nerve (again!).

I guess humour is not some peoples strong suit, and I should have given non-alcoholic alternatives, you know, be thoroughly PC!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Naaahhhh..

We're consenting adults here.....

Toast...Salud!!!

Namaste

ZM

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I was obviously replying to the post above mine, mate. Chill, im not dissing your thread

I even gave you S+F.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Red wine...the Alkies excuse to drink.
The winemaker's/seller's propaganda.

Eat grapes.
Drink grape juice.
I have a bowl of grapes every morning.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikhart

Oh sorry mate!

Looks like my sense of humour is worse than his!

Many apologies again!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Anti Oxidants?

I have one suggestion.

Wheat Grass Juice.

Look it up. A miracle cure if I ever found one and it works wonders for both your immune system and overall intake of vitamins daily.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Wheat Grass Juice, I'll try and get some tomorrow, but it sounds gross mate!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
When I drink wine or wine coolers I have extreme pains in my shoulder and neck area. I think I'll load up on Poms and other fruits and veggies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join