It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican condemns Hallowe'en as anti-Christian

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Those look pretty evil!

Here is one I found that is quite funny:

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

I thought the Vatican was Catholic?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Poor kids being indoctrinated by grown up agendas. Missing out on one of the more fun highlights of a child's year. What a shame.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
You guys are acting like this is the first time they said not to participate in the Halloween festivities.

My Roman Catholic wife never participated because it was said to be against her religion. Her parents never participated for the same reason. As far as I'm concerned its their choice to follow the Church or not. It is certainly nothing for us who don't believe to get upset over.

Look at it this way, your kids get a better selection of costume and more candy.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

and less Halloween buddies

I think the better question is whether this is something the Vatican stresses every year or not? If not, why the inconsistency.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

You will find plenty fo christians avoid halloween. Not seen the vatican speak about it before in my life, though.

For any of you that do not know, go and learn what halloween came from and what the rituals are about.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

There is a huge difference between the origins of something and how something evolved.

It could be shown that Halloween was originally a ritual were orgies and baby sacrifices took place (I know better), but that has no bearing on the intention and manner it is conducted in todays world by and for the children.

People stop thinking about what Halloween means and think about what it means for the kids.

Or for the adults for that matter

[edit on 30-10-2009 by silver tongue devil]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

I know my wifes church stressed it every year. She told me about little parties they had on halloween so that the kids didn't feel left out.

I know Pope John Paul II spoke out against it a couple of times. I couldn't tell you with any certainty if its a yearly thing or not.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Here is an informative slide-show presentation on the History of Halloween, as presented by the Discovery Channel.

How History Shaped Halloween

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bored To Tears
I know my wifes church stressed it every year. She told me about little parties they had on halloween so that the kids didn't feel left out.

Well that is interesting to me. Did they include costumes or candy or other Halloween things in those private church parties?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

Of course they had candy, the whole point was for them not to feel left out. No cosutmes though. From what she told me they sat around playing church games and bingo.

She liked it so it couldn't have been that bad.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

reply to post by getreadyalready

Any proof?

I was afraid you would ask for scripture!

Honestly, it has been a very long time since reading any scripture, and most of my knowledge comes from listening to my Father and Brother.

As I understand it, Scripture only calls for the celebration of Christ's Resurrection, it is silent on celebrating his birth, or even crucifiction, but I could be wrong!

This is why, my Father always celebrated Christmas for us kids, but he held Easter as a much more solemn and serious occasion.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This coming from the group that now thinks we were created by God but came from monkeys give me a friggin break.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The fact is, they don't want little children unknowingly involving themselves in the occult. It says nothing about dressing up as Superman or a block of cheese... it's about ghosts and ghouls. Look, they are clearly doing this out of concern, not oppression.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Who cares what the Vatican thinks?

And why?

Unless you're a devout Roman Catholic, in which case you already knew this and cared.

Go pagans go!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by x2Strongx

Oh come on now... they were recently alarmed about this? The Vatican is going to eventually destroy themselves, if they continue putting out statements such as this. Isn't this a holiday for having fun dressing up in a "Masquerade" or sort? Yeah, some kids dress up like ghosts,etc... but I think there is more that dress up like their favorite Hollywood movie character, super hero, etc...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I both agree and disagree with you. I agree it is strange that they recently commented on this (I wonder if any popes in the past have done so. Seems strange that this would be the first time).
I disagree with you that its a holiday for dressing up. It is NOW... but it was originally a pagan festival. Although when you think of it.. the Catholics aren't new to converting pagan holidays to Christian ones. So maybe your more right than wrong. I once belonged to a church, that unbeknown to me, didn't practice it and I went to a 'halloween' party at the church with the kids dressed up and when I got there we were the only one's dressed. OMG... you should have seen their faces!!! They met like this so their children could do something on halloween but not be a part of it. It was so strange.
Personally, I see no problem with it because although it may have originally been a pagan holiday it is no longer percieved as such.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alienmojo
Personally, I see no problem with it because although it may have originally been a pagan holiday it is no longer percieved as such.

Why does pagan = bad? Because pagan = not Christianity?

Does that mean you have a problem with the festivals of all other religions?

Or do you just assume pagan = evil?

Confused = me.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Holy crap. I nearly blew soda out of my nose! S for making me laugh.

Its all silly and blown out of proportion. A holiday is what you make it. If you want it to be filled with evil and doom and gloom, you make it that way. The holiday itself is benign.

You want halloween to be enjoying an evening with candy and parents and friends! Halloween is MY ALL TIME FAVORITE HOLIDAY OF THE YEAR! The only holiday where you get to completely be someone else. I used to love seeing the adults dress up when I rang the doorbell. Now? I enjoy being the dressed up adult with the killer costume playing the part out to the fullest.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Samhainn was renamed Halloween (All Hallow's Eve) by the Roman Catholic church in an attempt to change a major Celtic festival (the end of harvest and the start of the new year) into something Christian. They failed. Live with it.

Ironically, in Britain the main Samhainn activities (centered around the Bonfire) transferred to the 5th November.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Considering the pope was an ex nazi, and has very negative and telling energy in him, and I would consider him to be one of the most evil men going, this is amusing.

Should search for information on this topic:

The Jesuit Oath of Induction is also recorded in the Congressional Record of the U.S.A. (House Bill 1523, Contested election case of Eugene C. Bonniwell, against Thos. S. Butler, Feb. 15, 1913, pp. 3215-3216)

And also for a book entitled, "Subterranean Rome" by Charles Didier translated from the French and published in New York in 1843. Dr.
The article below was taken from the book Subterranean Rome by Charles Didier, translated from the French and published in New York in 1843. Dr. Alberto Rivera escaped from the Jesuit Order in 1967, and he describes his Jesuit oath in exactly the same way as it appears in this book.

a part of what is included:

That I may go to any part of the world withersoever I may be sent, to the frozen regions of the North, the burning sands of the desert of Africa, or the jungles of India, to the centers of civilization of Europe, or to the wild haunts of the barbarous savages of America, without murmuring or repining, and will be submissive in all things whatsoever communicated to me.

I furthermore promise and declare that I will, when opportunity present, make and wage relentless war, secretly or openly, against all heretics, Protestants and Liberals, as I am directed to do, to extirpate and exterminate them from the face of the whole earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex or condition; and that I will hang, waste, boil, flay, strangle and bury alive these infamous heretics, rip up the stomachs and wombs of their women and crush their infants' heads against the walls, in order to annihilate forever their execrable race. That when the same cannot be done openly, I will secretly use the poisoned cup, the strangulating cord, the steel of the poniard or the leaden bullet, regardless of the honor, rank, dignity, or authority of the person or persons, whatever may be their condition in life, either public or private, as I at any time may be directed so to do by any agent of the Pope or Superior of the Brotherhood of the Holy Faith, of the Society of Jesus....

Question —From whither do you come? Answer — The Holy faith.

Q. —Whom do you serve?

A. —The Holy Father at Rome, the Pope, and the Roman Catholic Church Universal throughout the world.

Q. —Who commands you?

A. —The Successor of St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus or the Soldiers of Jesus Christ.

Q. —Who received you? A. —A venerable man in white hair.

Q. —How?

A. —With a naked dagger, I kneeling upon the cross beneath the banners of the Pope and of our sacred order.

Q. —Did you take an oath?

A. —I did, to destroy heretics and their governments and rulers, and to spare neither age, sex nor condition. To be as a corpse without any opinion or will of my own, but to implicitly obey my Superiors in all things without hesitation of murmuring.

Q. —Will you do that? A. —I will.

Q. —How do you travel? A. —In the bark of Peter the fisherman.

Q. —Whither do you travel? A. —To the four quarters of the globe.

Q. —For what purpose?

A. —To obey the orders of my general and Superiors and execute the will of the Pope and faithfully fulfill the conditions of my oaths.

Q. —Go ye, then, into all the world and take possession of all lands in the name of the Pope. He who will not accept him as the Vicar of Jesus and his Vice-regent on earth, let him be accursed and exterminated."

hissheep.org...

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Unity_99]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join