It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was it New Deal programs or WWII that put this country back on track?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This morning I was reading this story...
Great Depression Survivors Remember Flour Sack Underwear And Coats Made Of Blankets

Posted in the comment section... you may not be able to access was this reply

Was it New Deal programs or WWII that put this country back on track? The U.S. recovery wasn't as strong or continuous before World War II, but the war did two things: It massively increased government spending and it took millions of men out of the employement market. So, you might say it was the STIMULUS spending of WWII that put the U.S. on track toward longterm prosperity. The G.I. Bill, which today's conservatives would oppose as welfare rather than thanks from a grateful nation, subsequently created the great American middle class.

However, the pre-war spending for infrastructure and in other areas, DID provide jobs for my grandfather and millions of other people across the country when there absolutely were no job. My family has lived in Nebraska since the early 1870s, and never asked for anything other than an opportunity to work hard. Those New Deal jobs building bridges and roads, etc., helped my grandfather feed my father and his siblings, and I am grateful for that.
Ann
Retired
Lincoln

Maybe it was both and that begs the question... Once again will it take a combination of New Deal Projects and another great war.. to put us back on track?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My basic understanding of the issue is that the New Deal was an attempt by the government to spend its way out of the depression. Did/does it work? Who knows, because WW2 got in the way and that got things going again.

It was attempted by the Ontario government in the recession of the 80's, but that party (NDP) was so slagged for the concept (and its ineptitude through inexperience) that nobody knows if it would have worked. In a sense, the concept is a regional response to a global phenomenon...especially today.

I suppose the answer lies in whether US/Canadian money supports Indian/Chinese/whatever markets...or if it helps the guy next door to find work.

new topics

join