It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali piracy the result of toxic waste dumping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Old news, but as it was censored many have probably never heard of it....

One of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali, explains that their motive is “to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters. . . . We don’t consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish, and dump waste, and carry weapons in our seas.”

www.projectcensored.org...

Somali sea pirates explain the reason behind them going from being fishermen to becoming pirates as a direct result from illegal dumping of materials such as mercury, uranium, lead, cadmium -- chemical and nuclear waste -- in the Somali waters, since the war started and the seas were no longer patrolled. These pirates, though there are some bounty hunters, call themselves the "Volunteer Coast Guard of Somalia".

Somali war criminals have allowed ships to dum this waste for payment and weapons. The fishermen by the sea lost the basis for their income and security. Black waters, with certain phosphorous elements mixed in....

UN has blatantly run over Somali fishermen and their rights in all these years leading up to the piracy. UN has been used as a tool to marginalise and dismiss completely avoided to mention these things in the resolutions made during this period. Something to concider....

As the ICGS are meeting in Rome today (June 10, 2009), two Egyptian trawlers full of fish illegally caught in Somali waters and an Italian barge that had been towing two huge tanks suspected of containing toxic or nuclear waste are being held in the Somali coastal town of Las Khorey by the local community, who invited the international experts to come and investigate these cases. So far, the international community has not responded to the Las Khorey community’s invitation.

[edit on 30/10/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Noone interested in the bigtime piracy outside the coast of Somalia by the African Horn? Is an obvious conspiracy, where UN has been exploited to silence common fishermen, and turn their efforts against them, unimportant?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this whole thing pirates has nothing to do with stopping illegal dumping. It's grasping at straws. You mean to tell me they are eco-warriors? No it has more to due with the money they can make compared to fishing. Pr spin says they do it because of illegal dumping off shore and it makes a excuse that soft-hearted people will eat up.

I will say your are correct about piracy being ignored elsewhere. Malaysia is another hot area for it. The Somali pirates get press coverage because they took a US crew hostage and now people are aware of them.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Point is that due to eco crimes the basis of these fishermen's income and way of life has been demolished, first by civil war where warlords apparently got paid by int. coorps. who in turne dumped environmentally hazardous waste in the waters, then by overbearing exploitation of the sealife still left. Now they have nothing, but have an urge to make things change. I know what I would do if some bastard came and destroyed my livelihood.

[edit on 1/11/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
I'm sorry but this whole thing pirates has nothing to do with stopping illegal dumping. It's grasping at straws. You mean to tell me they are eco-warriors? No it has more to due with the money they can make compared to fishing. Pr spin says they do it because of illegal dumping off shore and it makes a excuse that soft-hearted people will eat up.

I will say your are correct about piracy being ignored elsewhere. Malaysia is another hot area for it. The Somali pirates get press coverage because they took a US crew hostage and now people are aware of them.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by hangedman13]

Did you bother to do any research before you replied?

They lost their natural resources, in return they were given weapons, they were pretty much FORCED to take drastic measures.

They are not eco warriors, they are people with NOTHING.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There may be an element of truth to this claim but lets face it - if you restored the waters tomorrow, how many would return to fishing? Stealing boats and belongings and kidnapping people is just too lucrative and is now a world wide crime.
www.guardian.co.uk...
Strange how, if they are only resorting to trying to make a living, ransoms commonly bring in more than they could have expected to make in a life time.
In the words of a UK TV character
'A nice little earner'....

[edit on 1-11-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They have NO income, there is a WAR going on and international coorporations exploit the situation to make easy money on eco-crimes, way more money than these pirates make through patroling the seas around the Horn of Africa and take ships in arrest and demand fines in equivallence to the crimes committed from governments and coorporations who may or may not be guilty af it. I'd say that would be an effective sollution to the silencing....

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

And who gave them weapons? What I am saying is that it sounds a little odd that people are looking at this like "Their fishing waters have been tainted so they became pirates or coast guard" Whatever, they are making money hand over fist while garnering sympathy. Ever heard of being a opportunist? So quick to dismiss what the media tells you unless it has a "the man" is bad slant. Don't buy that crap, these pirates make millions hijacking ships and they make no demands for their waters to be cleaned up. So that yacht with the British couple was fair game because they dumping toxins? Greed is the motive not anything else.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Few people becomes criminals because they want to. Circumstances forced occupied Europeans to use terrorism against Nazi Germany and their cooperators during "the War", probably the longest five years in human history counting from our history lessons. Only difference is that "allied terrorism" is called "sabotage" or "resistance" or as in this case "piracy". Who are we to dump radioactive and otherwise hazzardous materials in warzones? Even more sulpherous than supposed organised organ theft by Israeli soldiers in Gaza.

new topics

top topics

join