It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of victims to unknown virus growing! State of emergency to be imposed in Ukraine?

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

The Black Death, notoriously the 1397 outbreak, depleted the European population by 60% in numerous regions.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by infinite]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The situation is quickly changing with increasingly high levels of acute respiratory illness (ARI)/Influenza-like-illness (ILI) activity being observed in Ternopil, Lviv, Ivano-Frankivsk, and Chernivtsi regions. The higher levels of transmission in these regions corresponds to an increased number of hospital admissions and fatalities associated with severe manifestations of acute respiratory illness. As of 30 October 2009, over 2,300 individuals have been admitted to hospital, including over 1,100 children. One hundred and thirty one (131) cases have required intensive care, including 32 children. As of 31 October 2009, a total of 38 fatalities associated with severe manifestations of ARI have been registered. Preliminary epidemiological data analysis indicates that severe cases and deaths primarily occur among previously healthy young adults aged 20 – 50 years. Fatal and severe cases are reported to have sought medical attention 5 to 7 days after onset of symptoms

WHO

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
To be on the safe side, before it spreads any further into the UK (if it hasnt already), I'll be stocking up on supplies that'll last a good few months and put my preperation plans into action.

No doubt the UK Government will see this as a opportunity to get EVERYONE taking Tamiflu, and If it comes to the extreme of having to survive alone in a certain area/s for a few months until the worst passes, then Im fully prepared for it.

The next 7 days I'll be barely leaving the house apart from 20 minutes tomorrow to get some last-minute stock, then its locking down the hatches and hoping for the best.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Thank you Wayno!

Think people! Swine flu does not "melt or liquefy your lungs!! ONLY A Hemorrhagic virus can do that! That is exactly what the Spanish Flu of 1918
was!! A Hemorrhagic Virus!!

I can't imagine they would not close the airports, unless the idea is too intentionally kill millions. However, this theory doesn't make sense either.
TPTB will not be able to control a virus this lethal. They themselves, will end up dying.

Just a clarification for everyone. Virulence does not equal mortality. It means how rapidly a disease is spread and how strong the virus attacks the host. Lethality means how deadly a virus is.

I am afraid this is what we are looking at and we need to "Hope for the Best and Prepare for the Worst"

Pax

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuupio

the numbers they give are so disproportianate to the statements they are making... its like saying, "omg there has been a horrible massacre here. 3 people were punched in the face... omg!!! death and destruction everywhere.." im trusting ukrainian blogs, news and our folks here on the ground. to hell with the "officials"

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Two doctors died today in Ternopol, another 2 died in Lviv.

ru.tsn.ua...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

I think you should know that the N95 mask will not offer much protection against this, the virus particles are too small and they will get through.

No trying to be the bearer of bad news, but we have a much better chance at surviving if we all have the facts.

Kindly,
Pax

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
reply to post by Nuupio

the numbers they give are so disproportianate to the statements they are making... its like saying, "omg there has been a horrible massacre here. 3 people were punched in the face... omg!!! death and destruction everywhere.." im trusting ukrainian blogs, news and our folks here on the ground. to hell with the "officials"

Exactly. I am doing the same thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I just thought I'd share this. As there have been questions about how fast a pandemic could spread, I did a hunt for some websites.

I found the following, which is modeled on a pandemic in the US following an Avian flu outbreak -- with the assumption that it's not extremely infectious.

Link to video

It has an ad at the start. Just turn down the annoying sound. When I tried it, it played through the simulation much too fast, but on replay (after another ad!) it ran much slower and was easy to follow.

Then I found the following on a site that discusses the use of a computer game to study actual pandemic development:

The flu virus, now that we've understood it better, looks more and more alien all the time. In fact, some reputable scientists have theorized that it may be from out there, so strange that it might have ridden in on a comet's tail, or hidden in the core of an ancient meteorite. You could regard the flu as the organism at the top of our predator prey food chain -- that lofty seat we like to think we hold may be surpassed by a tinier viral chair.

When it wants to be nice to us, the flu is a miserable but mild illness. Endemic in birds, pigs, and humans, it tailors itself to each but occasionally mixes and creates hybrid forms. When it's at its worst, the living beings it infests explode from within, cell by cell, sometimes so quickly they literally appear to melt. When birds fall out of the air and explode, as was reported in China a few years ago, the flu may be the reason. It hits them fast, they die on the wing, and their structure is so softened by sudden cellular collapse that they splatter when they hit the ground.

(Bolding mine.)

Source

Food for thought. I'll have to research this stuff about the birds. They have very high metabolic rates, so it's not inconceivable that they could take off feeling more-or-less okay but be overwhelmed by an infection mid-flight.

I do recall back in 1970 when I was still in high school, we had a flu epidemic doing the rounds. The guy sitting next to came down with it. While he was sitting next to me, I mean. It was incredible. In just a few minutes he went from normal to feeling very uncomfortable and then he started sweating and said he was feeling really sick. After another minute or so he was lying on the classroom floor and looking desperately ill. The teacher went to the office and called an ambulance for him because he was getting so bad so quickly.

He was admitted hospital upon arrival.

The whole process, from being fine to lying in a hospital bed, had taken place before the bell rang to end that lesson.

I'm glad to say he made a full recovery -- and he actually went on to become a doctor.

So, I've seen first-hand how fast a human can go from feeling fine to being very ill. Sure, he must have been incubating the virus for a few days, but when it reached the tipping point it was like -- like the nuclear reactor in Chernobyl going into melt-down.

Mike

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

INFLUENZA PANDEMIC (H1N1) 2009 (81): UKRAINE, CONFIRMED
A ProMED-mail post

ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases

Date: Sun 1 Nov 2009

The Ukrainian Ministry of Health has released the following
information (in Ukrainian) on its website
. Some cases of influenza-like
illness (ILI) and at least one death have been confirmed as due to
influenza pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection.

Currently, there are or have been about 1000 people admitted to
hospitals. (It is unclear from the report whether these numbers are
current or cumulative). More than 100 are being treated in intensive
care units.

There are restrictions on large gatherings. Schools and entertainment
establishments have been closed for 3 weeks.

Another Ministry report (in Ukrainian
) states that as
of Fri 30 Oct 2009, there are over 80 000 suspected cases and 33 deaths.

The report describes 3 features of the outbreak: (1) Complicated
courses in pregnant women, people of working age, children, and the
elderly (but not as many), and people with cardiovascular and
respiratory disease, diabetes, immune deficiency, obesity etc.; (2)
Rapid spread; (3) In some cases, a viral pneumonia with rapid
progression that is difficult to treat.

--
Dr Irene Lai MB BS
International SOS
Level 5 Challis House 4 Martin Place
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

[ProMED-mail thanks Irene Lai for providing these translations. It is
clear that the outbreak has all the characteristics of influenza
pandemic A(H1N1) 2009 virus infection, although a precise diagnosis
has been established only in very few cases. For whatever reason, the
Ukrainian authorities seem reluctant to reach this conclusion.

The HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Ukraine can be accessed
at: . - Mod.CP]

[see also:
Influenza pandemic (H1N1) 2009 (80): Ukraine susp. RFI 20091031.3764]

www.promedmail.org...:1001:3891564445539538::NO::F2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,79896

"It is clear that the outbreak has all the characteristics of influenza
pandemic A(H1N1) 2009 virus infection, although a precise diagnosis
has been established only in very few cases. For whatever reason, the
Ukrainian authorities seem reluctant to reach this conclusion."

Seems strange that they wouldn't call it h1n1 if all the cases appear to be h1n1.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I have been trying to find the gene mutation that was responsible for the 1918 high mortality rate. Pax if you have that would you post it? If this not a good idea then do not post it. This is what caused the virus to become Hemorrhagic in some cases.

The incidence rate is troubling as per www.recombinomics.com...

Also what is "know" is being posted on fluboard.rhizalabs.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Ukraine's president's desperate plea for help: EU, NATO, USA, Russia, Hungary, Belorus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Slovakia please help us as soon as possible, we can not fight this infection alone, the survival of the Ukrainian nation is under danger, our people are dieing!
www.newsru.com...
www.gazeta.ru...
korrespondent.net...
news.bigmir.net...
mycityua.com...
www.president.gov.ua...

Comment: What strikes me most, is the total SILENCE of Western mass-media.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by ahemot]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
reply to post by JJay55

I think you should know that the N95 mask will not offer much protection against this, the virus particles are too small and they will get through.

N95 will keep out nuclear particles. But the thing about masks is that most Americans won't wear them unless forced to. Further, it's so easy for one member of a family to introduce a virus into a home and contaminate the whole place.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

My husband won't hear it. I can't discuss anything flu related with him. He just wants to bury his head in the sand and ignore it, hoping it's all going to go away if he does. This is how he has always dealt with things that truly worry him.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahemot
Ukraine's president's desperate plea for help: EU, NATO, USA, Russia, Hungary, Belorus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Slovakia please help us as soon as possible, we can not fight this infection alone, the survival of the Ukrainian nation is under danger, our people are dieing!
www.newsru.com...
www.gazeta.ru...
korrespondent.net...
news.bigmir.net...
mycityua.com...
www.president.gov.ua...

Comment: What strikes me most, is the total SILENCE of Western mass-media.

[edit on 1-11-2009 by ahemot]

No kidding! I just went on CNN.com. Nothing. Foxnews.com...Nothing.
Not even in the health section.

Amazing....I mean, think back to a few months ago when they were hyping up the swine flu like crazy. You would think that THIS development would be all over the news.

Think about SARS a few years ago....remember how they were all over that in Japan?

I cannot believe there is NO coverage of Ukraine right now. Makes me think that a blackout has been ordered....

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ahemot

That would mean 12 have died in the last 3 hour. We are reaching nearly 70 dead, in a single day

Nothing in the Western Media, only New York Times giving a brief mention.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

State of Emergency, blackouts are in place and emergency broadcast begins. Expect the news coverage to be limited and controlled.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Epidemic situation in Ukraine threatens national security, 53 people die of cold and flu

01.11.2009, 17.52 KIEV, November 1 (Itar-Tass)
The epidemic situation in Ukraine “has assumed a threatening and unpredictable nature and is a threat to national security”, says a decree of October 31 by President Viktor Yushchenko, published on Sunday. The decree enacts a decision of the National Security and Defence Council on measures to fight the new flu (A/N1N1).
In the opinion of the Security Council, “the Ministry of Health and local bodies of executive power showed insufficient readiness to ensure treatment of patients”.
In this connection, the government was instructed to create reserves of medical equipment and anti-virus preparations, to strengthen anti-epidemic regime in places frequented by people, to restrict mass events and to involve the Defence Ministry and the Ministry for Emergencies to render medical aid to population.
The Health Ministry is to inform the Security Council secretary of the situation daily. The Defence Ministry was instructed to organise a check-up of population in the countryside with mobile teams from hospitals.
The Foreign Ministry addressed the WHO, NATO and the EU to help in overcoming aftermaths of the spreading infection.
Incidentally, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and Romania sent humanitarian aid to Ukraine to fight the flu epidemic, reported the press service of the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry on Sunday.
Fifty-three people, including a child and two pregnant women, have died of cold and flu in Ukraine, the Health Ministry said.
In all, the country’s cold and flu rate amounts to 185,000, including 9,400 cases of flu. The number of A/H1N1 flu cases is unknown.
The situation is the worst in the Lvov region, where about 70,000 people have cold and flu. The cold and flu rate is also high in the Ternopol, Ivano-Frankovsk and Chernovtsy regions.
Four doctors died of flu in Ukraine’s Ternopol and Lvov regions, Health Minister Vasily Knyazevich said at the Sunday meeting of the operative headquarters for the prevention and treatment of A/H1N1 flu.
Ukraine enacted border crossing rules because of the A/H1N1 flu outbreak, Timoshenko said.
An international delegation of experts will come to Ukraine on November 2 for helping resolve the cold and flu problem.

sorry for crossposting, but this is the "best" summary i´ve read so far on this.

Turchynov instructs customs to clear influenza medicines without delay

Ukraine, Poland reach agreement on medicine deliveries

Fourteen cases of A(H1N1) influenza registered in Ukraine

Russia offers Ukraine to help handle A/H1N1 flu situation - the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry

I can recommend the Kyiv Post for english new from Ukraine.

President's statement on the situation with spread of A(H1N1) flu (english)

edit: this statement

The trigger for the lung inflammation remains an enigma, despite official denials, rumors hold that there spreading pneumonic plague.

comes from the AFP (big news agency), not koeln.de, as i wrote earlier:
translated link

another edit to fix formatting of the crosspost

[edit on 1-11-2009 by euleberlin]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asherah
reply to post by dreamseeker

My husband won't hear it. I can't discuss anything flu related with him. He just wants to bury his head in the sand and ignore it, hoping it's all going to go away if he does. This is how he has always dealt with things that truly worry him.

That's how some people deal with trauma. The post effects of pandemics will inclusd PTS.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
There is definately something wrong with the western media. Usually everybody tries to jump onto a story like that. Maybe there are restrictions in the US due to the national emergency plan that is in place since a week. But this does not explain why everybody else keeps quiet.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join