It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of victims to unknown virus growing! State of emergency to be imposed in Ukraine?

page: 236
<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Like many of you, I have been researching to try and find ways to be proactive in combating H1N1, or at least ways to inhibit a cytokine storm. I came across a blog that gives some great details on natural cytokine inhibitors. inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com...

Also, I have been researching how exactly colloidal silver effects cytokine production. Recently I was given a colloidal silver generator, but I was afraid to use it until I found out exactly how it effected cytokines, because I didn't want to increase my propensity to a hemorrhagic death. But today I found a study done by South Korean doctors in 2007 that was published in the International Immunopharmacology journal, Volume 7, Issue 13, 15 December 2007, Pages 1813-1818 It's entitled:

The effects of nano-silver on the proliferation and cytokine expression by peripheral blood mononuclear cells

Abstract:

Silver could prove to be a valuable alternative raw material for antibiotics and disinfectants as it is relatively free of adverse effects. Nano-silver is now been put to practical use in commonly used items, such as, clothes, electric home appliances, and electronic industry, but has not been widely applied in the medical or pharmacological fields. This study was designed to investigate the effects of nano-silver on the production of cytokines by and on the proliferation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs). In addition, we investigated the potential cytotoxic effects of nano-silver on PBMCs. PBMCs from healthy human volunteers were stimulated with 5 μg/ml phytohaemagglutinin (PHA) in the presence of varying concentrations of nano-silver. PBMC proliferations were measured using an aqueous cell proliferation assay kit and supernatants were analyzed using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays. Interleukin-5 (IL-5), interferon-γ (INF-γ), and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) protein levels were measured to determine the activation state of PBMCs. At levels of over 15 ppm, nano-silver was found to have a significant cytotoxic effect on PBMCs, and PHA-induced cytokine productions were significantly inhibited by nano-silver (IL-5: at 10 ppm, INF-γ and TNF-α at 3 ppm). Although nano-silver had a cytotoxic effect at high concentration, nano-silver modulated cytokine production in a concentration-dependent manner. These experimental data suggest that nano-silver could be used to treat immunologic and inflammatory diseases.

www.sciencedirect.com...

Well I'll be damned. It looks as if they've shown that colloidal silver is a cytokine inhibitor, and there is science behind the "snake oil". But like any good infomercial; BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

healthcare.zdnet.com...

Colloidal silver touted as MRSA cure

Two companies are claiming they have a solution of colloidal silver that can cure MRSA, the antibiotic-resistant staph infection which is panicking the U.S. media. (Picture from Altered States, a New Zealand site which offers colloidal silver as a general remedy.) LifeSilver and MRSA Medical both claim their “patented” preparations have been tested and proven effective.

Also, I couldn't find the original study to confirm it, but apparently BYU conducted a study in 1999 and concluded that colloidal silver was as effective as antibiotics in fighting MRSA.

www.silvermedicine.org...

Truthfully, I drank some silver about an hour ago... I felt it as soon as it started being absorbed, its really weird how it feels, almost like an intoxicant. I can feel my heart beating and everything is slightly tingly. Weird.

And I'm not trying to whore my videos here, but I made a video covering all this information, plus some. Might be nice to forward to somebody who doesn't want to read the articles / studys for themselves.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

Also, I couldn't find the original study to confirm it, but apparently BYU conducted a study in 1999 and concluded that colloidal silver was as effective as antibiotics in fighting MRSA.

Precisely as effective.

Zero = zero.

Antibiotics don't work on MRSA.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

Precisely as effective.

Zero = zero.

Actually, apacheman, there are still two antibiotics that work on MRSA that we use in the hospitals. Vancomycin and Linezolid (Zyvox).

And I would actually be interested in seeing that study if you can find it, seattlefortruth, because right now we're very limited in what works against MRSA. Vancomycin is always on back-order these days, and Zyvox is so freaking expensive you wouldn't believe it. As fast as MRSA becomes resistant to all the new antibiotics, my guess is that won't be long before it's also resistant to Zyvox, too.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Anti-biotics don't work on MRSA? Tell that to my Mom, they just cured her 3rd bout of it and saved her life.

I don't think "antibiotic resistant" means what you think it means...

BTW I don't think you read any of the studies or articles I posted before you made your reply.. Ya might wanna do that before your ego compels you to barf unsubstantiated opinions through your keyboard and pass them off as fact.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by seattletruth]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Here is another source about Colloidal Silver and cytokine storm:

A search of the available literature shows only one study in which silver has any impact on inflammatory cytokines, and the impact is negligible.
www.woundsresearch.com...

And here, a discussion of the nanocrystallin coating of Anticoat, a wound dressing at
www.worldwidewounds.com...

This shows no impact, either.

See for example,

www.sciencedirect.com... 98802531&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b6a28fec2777ae9de83a361870bbd91f

This article states:

“Interleukin-5 (IL-5), interferon-? (INF-?), and tumor necrosis factor-? (TNF-?) protein levels were measured to determine the activation state of PBMCs.

At levels of over 15 ppm, nano-silver was found to have a significant cytotoxic effect on PBMCs, and PHA-induced cytokine productions were significantly inhibited by nano-silver (IL-5: at 10 ppm, INF-? and TNF-? at 3 ppm).

Although nano-silver had a cytotoxic effect at high concentration, nano-silver modulated cytokine production in a concentration-dependent manner. These experimental data suggest that nano-silver could be used to treat immunologic and inflammatory diseases.”

Based on my study of the literature, I will continue to recommend nano silver for all infections, whether with bacteria, mycoplasma, parasites or viruses.
Thanks for bringing up this important question.

LINK

also some info on CS and MRSA www.colloidalsilvercuresmrsa.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Russia Could Withdraw from WHO Over Swine Flu Corruption

Last Updated on Saturday, 28 November 2009 10:22 Saturday, 28 November 2009 10:16

News - Highlighted News

A Russian deputy of the Duma has called for Russia to withdraw from the WHO if an investigation into the alleged collusion between the WHO and pharmaceutical companies on the swine flu scandal proves to be accurate, according to reports in the European media.

Igor Barinov, Member of the Commission of the State Parliament (Duma) in Charge of Corruption, said that there needed to be an investigation into whether experts advising WHO received money from pharmaceutical industry and whether this influenced WHO to declare a pandemic level 6 emergency for the first time in 40 years in spite of the fact that the swine flu is neither lethal nor spreading rapidly.

Danish journalists belonging to "Information" concluded that the swine flu could be the biggest case of corruption in our era after examining links between experts of WHO and the pharmaceutical companies.

WHO recommended the purchase of the controversial Swiss-based Roche’s Tamilfu in spite of evidence the drug causes serious side effects. The Ukrainian ministry for health bought large and excessive stocks of Tamiflu.

“The organization is suspected of corruption. We certainly must carry out a meticulous inquiry before making any decision,” Barinov declared on Friday to journalists.

“If the information is confirmed, we will have to put the question of whether it makes sense for Russia to belong to WHO, and to suspend our membership if necessary”.

Russia has spent more than 4 billion roubles so far on the swine flu.

Barinov suggested making the head of the investigation of WHO, the Russian representative in this organization, the member of the executive committee of WHO, Vladimir Starodoubov.

“Nobody calls into question the services rendered in the 20th century by WHO in the fight against the malaria, AIDS, but today it should asked whether this organization is not struck itself by the virus of corruption, and up to what point these recommendations are founded, up to what point can we trust it,” said Barinov.

The director of the Russian National Sanitary Surveillance Institute Guennadi Onichtchenko said in a meeting with the general prosecutor of the federation of Russia for legislation in the pharmaceutical field that the fight against the swine flu in the world has the characteristics of a plot.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by calohan

You know, it's strange that the only source for that article is Jane Burgermeister, herself. It was never published in any publication. Really, Jane has proven herself to be not so trustworthy lately. In my opinion that article is about as credible as any unsubstantiated blog on the internet, only difference is Jane already has shown her propensity to distort the facts to push her agenda.

I'm not doubting that there might be some truth to the article, but I wouldn't go around saying it's a fact yet...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

FDA Goes After Colloidal Silver In Over-the-Counter Drugs

8-20-99

foxnews.com...

NEW YORK - Over-the-counter drug products that contain colloidal silver or silver salts have not been shown to be safe or effective, announced the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Tuesday.

The FDA also said that the general public cannot use these types of drugs safely because adequate directions for the products could not be written.

Products containing silver particles have been appearing in stores in recent years, note FDA officials. Labels on these products include claims that the products can treat adults and children for diseases including AIDS, cancer, tuberculosis, malaria, lupus, syphilis, scarlet fever, shingles, herpes, pneumonia, typhoid, and tetanus.

But FDA officials write that such products are misbranded ''when their labeling falsely suggests that there is substantial scientific evidence that the drugs are safe and effective for their intended use.''

According to the FDA Final Rule issued Tuesday, ``a colloidal silver product for any drug use will first have to be approved by the FDA under the new drug application procedures.''

Use of colloidal silver solutions, where silver particles are suspended in a gelatinous base, can result in argyria, ``a permanent blue-gray discoloration of the skin and deep tissues,'' notes the FDA.

The products in question include colloidal silver ingredients and silver salts such as silver proteins, mild silver protein, strong silver protein, silver chloride, and silver iodide. The drugs are usually in oral dosage form, but sometimes exist in topical (to be applied to the skin) and even intravenous forms.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by calohan

I'm not saying as a fact that CS works (although I think it does). I am however saying that if you believe the FDA - I have a really nice bridge to sell you in NY!

Try researching the blue man a bit, he didn't make it correctly.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSenseRules
reply to post by calohan

I'm not saying as a fact that CS works (although I think it does). I am however saying that if you believe the FDA - I have a really nice bridge to sell you in NY!

Try researching the blue man a bit, he didn't make it correctly.

For the sake of others reading this blog, there can be little doubt that colloidal silver, an agent by the way used against tuberculosis ages ago, has potential toxicity. I would particularly be interested in seeing a study regarding kidney pathology and kidney function serology as a result of long term use of colloidal silver. Wouldn't want anyone to go into kidney shutdown, and am not aware of formal generalized toxicity studies done on the agent. Am certain that it works against certain pathogens, but the question here is at what cost?

BTW there was a time, not all that far back, when the word of the FDA was a whole less politicized, and could be taken with gravity.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by calohan]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman

Precisely as effective.

Zero = zero.

Vancomycin for a five week period, dripping through a pic line into my heart was effective in fighting MRSA that I picked up from a mosquito bite on my right index finger. Almost lost my hand. I should add that I do not believe that Vancomycin would be effective on the mystery 'plague' in Ukraine, thereby keeping my post 'on topic'.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by butcherguy]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Here is a link to an original Russian article which refers to the query over the credibility of WHO.

www.newsru.com...

Found a link in English here.
columbiavalleynews.com...

Don't know how credible these sources are.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

In the United States, hospital-acquired infections alone afflict nearly 2 million patients and kill approximately 90,000 people annually, more than diabetes or influenza/pneumonia.4,5
About 70% of these hospital-acquired infections are resistant to at least one drug.4
Nosocomial infections cost U.S. society between $4 billion and $5 billion annually.6
The focus on infections has increased as more and more patients admitted to hospitals now present with antibiotic-resistant bacteria acquired in the community, such as certain strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). MRSA was previously found primarily in hospitals and other health care settings.7,8
Studies suggest that there is a substantial increase in mortality, morbidity, and cost for patients with antibiotic-resistant versus susceptible infections.9,10,11,12
Multidrug-resistant pathogens are more likely to require longer hospital stays and treatment with second- or third-choice drugs.4
Infections originating from surgery in the United States resulted in a median hospitalization cost of $7,531 for each infected patient during the 1990s.13
Intra-abdominal infections can be difficult to treat, with mortality rates ranging from 3.5% in patients with early infection following a penetrating abdominal trauma to over 60% in patients with well-established infection coupled with secondary organ failure.14
Strains of vancomycin-resistant enterococci have become an important cause of illness and sometimes death.15
Nearly 60% of hospital-acquired Staphylococcus aureus infections in intensive care units reported to the Centers for Disease Control are MRSA.16

www.wyeth.com...

It has become resistant to vancomycin and now a cause of death for people been treated with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Ok, I did not write the post about colloidal silver, but please pet me explain something to you guys who don't have an inkling of medical history but seem to want to keep bashing down things before you know what your'e talking about.

Almost all the metals in the periodic table of the elements (even the heavy metals) were at one point used to treat severe illnesses. For example:

Mercury treated syphillis
Gold treats arthritis (still used today)
Platinum treats cancer (still used today)

And this is just a very, very limited number of conditions that we can treat with metals. I could go on and on.

Now, the problem is, most of these metals are so heavy, that they also cause quite a bit of toxicity. So, yes, you might cure the patient's ailment, but then you have the problem that you also might kill the patient before you cure them.

So, yes....colloidal silver could very well treat the flu. Very easily. Problem is, it has this little problem of turning the patients blue. How to get around this problem of toxicity?

Well, Dr. Hahnemann, a German physician in the late 1700's, also noticed this very same problem about the medicines back in his day, too, and his goal was to try to figure out how he could use those medicines in a more non-toxic way. He finally figured out a way to work around this problem by diluting and potentizing the medicines....otherwise known as homeopathy.

I know most of you don't believe in homeopathy, but that is how it came to be....a way of figuring out how to use medicines (not just metals but plants, too), in a more non-toxic way.

Used in a more dilute form, homeopathic gold is one of the best metals they use for suicidal depression and rheumatoid arthritis. (In the hospitals back in the 90's, we actually injected real gold into people's joints as a last resort, but that's because "real doctors" (ahem) don't believe in homeoapthy so they won't use the homeopathic form of gold.) Homeopathic mercury is still used in infections of all kinds today, such as sore throats, etc... Silver nitrate (yes, homeopathic silver nitrate) is one of our main polycrests still used today for many different ailments. Homeopathic arsenic treats food poisoning amazingly well. Homeopathic platnium treats cancerous affections very well, without giving the projectile vomiting you get with pharmaceutical platinum, a chemotherapy agent called cis-platinin.

Got it so far?

So, for all of you saying that colloidal silver couldn't work, you're severely mis-informed on the traditional uses of metals in the history of medicine. Don't knock something aside until you know your medical history. Colloidal silver could very well work. Unfortunately, it could also turn you blue.

A better alternative might be to look at one of the myriad forms of homeopathic silver. We have argentum nitricum (silver nitrate), argentum metallicum (metalic silver), and argentum phosphoricum (silver phosphate) to name a few. And, oh yes, I should mention this: The homeopathic silver remedies are known specifically for curing throat ailments. Now, what is the first sign that shows up in the swine flu? A sore throat. So, therefore, if you use silver with the "like treats like" principle in mind, it could very well work.

Now, perosnally, I would not use colloidal silver or homeopathic silver (argentum metallicum) for the flu, because it's not one of the more well known remedies for flu. There are better remedies for flu.

But, I was doing this to show you a point. When you dilute and potentize materials, and then test them on healthy people (this is called a proving) you find out where the medicines are most likely to act in the body.

The throat it is one of the high areas of affinity for silver.

My guess, however, is that the silver might not work on the D225g mutation, since the mutation makes the virus pass by the throat and settle deep in the lungs. You'd need, instead, to find a remedy that works well on lungs.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

I tried colloidal silver back in the 90s in trace minerals supplements, I have to stop using it after the side effects that I experienced.

Now do not laugh about this, but my breast became so swollen and painful that I could not run or do aerobics do to the swelling and pain.

Now, I read that it does happen, as it accumulates in the blood stream, like in my case.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yes, that makes sense. Metals in their pure form have a problem of accumulating in the body.

That's why it's better, in my own professional opinion, to use metal remedies in their homeopathic form. You don't accumulate them in the body, and you can select a different salt of the metal (for example, carbonicum phosphoricum, bromatum, etc..) that is much better suited for the person's constitution.

Let me give you an example:

People who have tubercular constituations, for example, tend to do well with a phosphoricum salt.

So, I went to my book: Homeopathy and the Minerals by Jan Scholten, and I looked up Argentum phosphoricum. (Silver phosphate).

I looked down the list of symptoms that it cures (per scholten) and I found: LUNG COMPLAINTS in large, bold letters. I looked under LUNG COMPLAINTS under argentum phosphoricum, and I saw: bronchitis, asthma, tuberculosis.

So, if you combine silver with phosphorus salt, it has an affinity to the lungs. (By itself, in the metallic form, silver has more of an affinity to the nerves, eyes, and throat).

So, argentum metallicum (silver) by itself has more of an affinity to the eyes and throat and nueralgia, where argentum phosphoricum (silver phosphate) has more of an affinity to lungs, because the phosphoricum salt usually turns any remedy into a remedy that would be helpful for a patient with a tubercular constitution. To see the particular type of person that argentum phosphoricum might do well with this remedy, I go to the description of the remedy and the mental symptoms and we find (per Scholten)

So, that gives you a picture of the type of person that silver phosphate would work BEST for. (Doesn't mean it wouldn't do some good in people who don't have the exact constitutional type.) People who need phosphate salts tend to be more artistic, fearful, communicative, and sympathetic, who love to travel. That is the tubercular constitution.

Picture of Argentum phosphoricum:

-They are into "preservation of the arts" - they want to be very special and they love to show how talented they are
-They have artisitic friends; they like to make friends with other artists or scientists
-They afte often high achievers at school, wanting to be noticed for their artistic talents
-They are very sensitive to criticism, especially when they are on unknown territory

Physically, they are tall, thin, red-haired

Some mental symptoms: clear, confused, lack of concentration, forgetful, precise, delirious, exhausted, numb, insane, dementia, curious, restless, imaginative, exhausted

Fears: heights, narrow spaces, performances, speeches, alone, dark, thunder, twilight, disease, death of family and friends, fears come and go easily, easily frightened

Let's say that you want to use a silver remedy, but you don't have a tubercular constitution.

You might research the nitricum salt to see if that would be more suited to your constitution.

You could try argentum nitricum (silver nitrate), for example.

Argentum nitricum people are more assertive, enthusiastic, have problems with tension and congestion, and they are very sociable. These people feel they have to prove themselves. Their involvement with art and philosphy is often based on idealistic motives. They love to to the theater and the opera. Their need to hold on to success leads to tension. They develop a fear of failure.

Also, the remedy of silver in general, as a constitutional remedy, tends to be more suited to people are are very artistic and/or scientific.

However, if someone tried silver nitrate and it did nothing for them, maybe it's because they are not a mineral constitution (mineral people are very concerned with structure) and they are more of a plant constitution (plant people are more reactive and sensitive) or more of an animal constitution (animal people are concerned mostly with competition.) So, in that case, you would look for a remedy for the flu that was in the animals or plant kingdom but had the same symptoms. (For example, the snake remedies also have an affinity for the throat, but snake people are all about sexual competition, and are very jealous, sexual and territorial.)

Anyway....if you want to try silver again, consider maybe looking for a homeopathic form of silver in a different salt, that is more suited to your personal constitution. That way, you most likely wouldn't have the same problem again as you did with the colloidal silver.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Very interesting, I guess none of that applies to my mental and physical disposition.

Back in the 90s trace minerals supplements became popular and with any trend I fell for it.

Boy oh boy, I can still remember the side effects like it was today.

I have learned that it takes some trial and error to find the right combination of natural remedies that will work for you and the particular medical condition you are trying to cure or control.

Like you said no everything works for everybody.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by nikiano

Very interesting, I guess none of that applies to my mental and physical disposition.

Back in the 90s trace minerals supplements became popular and with any trend I fell for it.

Boy oh boy, I can still remember the side effects like it was today.

I have learned that it takes some trial and error to find the right combination of natural remedies that will work for you and the particular medical condition you are trying to cure or control.

Like you said no everything works for everybody.

Exactly. Although, when working with acute conditions, such as the flu and colds, it's not that important to match the person's constitution with the remedy constitution. In chronic conditions, matching the person's constitution is much more important.

However, in acute conditions it is good to try to match the affinity of the remedy to the location of the ailment. Such as throat remedy to throat symptoms, lung remedy to lung symptoms, eye remedy to eye symptoms, nose remedies to nose symptoms, etc...

For example, slicing an onion creates mostly eye and nose symptoms (running nose, running eyes, stinging eyes) in a person standing next to the onion. This is why onion works so well for colds as both a home remedy (sliced onions) and a homeopathic remedy (allium cepa).

For people with a tubercular constitution, whose colds always end up up in the lungs as bronchitis, a good remedy to follow onion is phosphorus. (Homeopathic phosphorus is a tubercular remedy and has a high affinity towards the lungs.)

EDIT TO ADD:

And this brings me back full circle to the original repetorization I did of the Ukrainian virus. The virus came on quickly, caused hemorrhagic pneumonia. Ferrum phosphoricum (iron phosphate) came up on my list as a top contender.

Ferrum phosphoricum is a great remedy for colds and flus that come on suddenly, and it can cause hemorrhagic pneumonia. And the phosphate salt makes it into a tubercular remedy, so it would probably work well in a population that has a high level of endemic tuberculosis.

The key notes of ferrum phosphoricum are:
High fever, usually 102 or higher. Flushed face, red spots on cheecks. Photophobia and headache with fever. Bloody nose. Right sided pneumonia, hemoptysis (coughing up blood), bright red blood. Pleurisy.

Clinically, ferrum phos is good for: anemia, bursitis, colds, epistaxis (bloody nose), gastritis, hemorrhages, influenza, otitis media, pharyngitis, pleurisy, pneumonia, and tonsillitis.

Can't say for sure that it would work on the virus, because I'm not in the Ukraine and i Have no idea what the specific symptoms are, but it could work. Still, it's better to probably stick with the old influenza standbys for now, such as gelsemium, eupatorium, etc.... until for sure, we have a definitive list of symptoms.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
reply to post by calohan

You know, it's strange that the only source for that article is Jane Burgermeister, herself. It was never published in any publication. Really, Jane has proven herself to be not so trustworthy lately. In my opinion that article is about as credible as any unsubstantiated blog on the internet, only difference is Jane already has shown her propensity to distort the facts to push her agenda.

I'm not doubting that there might be some truth to the article, but I wouldn't go around saying it's a fact yet...

All Jane did was get hold of the translation. The original is on a Russian news site, News RU.

www.newsru.com...

[edit on 2/12/09 by Kailassa]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

From the Hartford Hospital, Hartford Connecticut:

www.harthosp.org...

Colloidal Silver

Principal Proposed Uses
We recommend against the use of oral silver products.
Requirements/Sources
Therapeutic Dosages
Therapeutic Uses
Safety Issues
References

The mineral silver has a long history of use in Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India. Silver is toxic to many microbes, and on this basis a suspension of finely ground silver granules called colloidal silver was once popular among U.S. physicians as an antiseptic. Currently, silver is used medically in the form of silver sulfadiazine, a cream used to prevent infection in burn victims. In addition, silver is used in some water purifiers to stop the growth of bacteria.

A typical recommended dose of colloidal silver is 1–4 teaspoons a day, providing 25–100 mcg of silver.

NOTE: We strongly recommend against the use of oral silver products.

Safety in young children, pregnant or nursing women, or people with severe liver or kidney disease has not been established.

new topics

top topics

<< 233  234  235    237  238  239 >>

join