It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of victims to unknown virus growing! State of emergency to be imposed in Ukraine?

page: 104
<< 101  102  103    105  106  107 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I think this is a noteworthy article by BBC. It stresses that even though there is a problem in Ukraine, it appears to be overhyped at the moment. Untill more information is available people need to calm down and regain a realistic perspective of the situation. Rumors never help in these sorts of situations - they only detract from focusing on what really matters.

Panic in Ukraine over swine flu

Officials in Ukraine have closed schools for three weeks, imposed travel restrictions and are limiting public events as the country battles to stop the spread of swine flu.

More than 60 people are believed to have died of respiratory problems in the past week, and the measures are among the toughest to be implemented in Europe to tackle the virus.

It's still not clear whether all the deaths were caused by swine flu, but the news has sparked panic, and people have started wearing masks across the country.

The Ukrainian health minister Vasyl Knyazevych has asked the media only to report the comments of medical experts following a series of misleading reports which fuelled public anxiety.

On national television, he said Ukraine had the same problems as the rest of the world.

He also called on fellow politicians to give people 'a week of silence,' and said there was no need for panic.

However, his calls may already be too late.

255,000 cases of flu and acute respiratory problems have been registered among the 46m population. 15,000 have been hospitalised.

The World Health Organisation says there is no evidence to suggest that Ukraine had a bad outbreak of swine flu, but it has agreed to send a team there to help the country cope.

President Viktor Yushchenko has also appealed for international help.

An another very key issue that I have been stressing all along:

Ukraine's leading political analysts say the handling of swine flu has become one of the key electoral issues.

According to them, rival candidates are seeking to take the initiative in battling the spread of the virus.

"The swine flu outbreak has overshadowed all the other negative campaigning we were seeing, especially around Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko," says Vitaly Kulyk, a political scientist at Kiev's Centre for Civil Society.

"The main players are using the flu in their propaganda war," he adds.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This premature talk about outbreaks and plagues should stop, for the sake of Ukraine if nothing else. False or unconfitmed rumors can do a lot of bad to Ukraine right now. Some individuals and interest groups capitalize on false rumors, at the expense of everyone else.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by maloy]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I stated originally there was a mass amount of blackout and serious problems working here folks I have watched this thread and with respect to the people that actually are trying to work on these issues congratulations! However there are acouple that are intent on trying to push buttons in regards to stupid issues such as duh are you using CAPS? AND IT IS ALSO EVIDENT THAT we should all be as intelligent as THOSE SELECT FEW!Anyways my major concern was and has been the total lack of media coverage the lack of concern in general regarding this MAJOREVENT that is happening as we all sit worrying about typos and SHOUTING....... DUH?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Rival: Ukrainian PM using flu scare for politics Prison Planet

At least 71 people, in western regions of Ukraine, were killed by the swine flu over the past three weeks, but the death toll figure has been apparently hovering around levels usually caused by seasonal flu.

Yatseniuk said the ban on public gatherings spreads fear and panic helping Tymoshenko to promote herself on television, while hindering other presidential candidates to campaign.

Yatseniuk is Tymoshenko’s biggest rival as both compete for votes in western regions of Ukraine. He is perhaps the only candidate that may challenge Tymoshenko in the first round of vote on January 17, 2010 to enter the runoff with opposition leader Viktor Yanukovych.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Starting to look more and more like a Ukrainian propaganda pandemic. I'll be curious to see what WHO officials say in the next few days,

[edit on 3-11-2009 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Swine flu just like any flu can cause hemorrhagic fever (bleeding from the lungs and orifices). The scary thing about this virus has been that it seems to create that reaction with some consistency. Basically if you die from the swine flu it will be from the lung damage or a secondary pneumonia (allowing for the existing health issues and brain damage and so on).

The plague occurs in that region but not in these kind of numbers, besides its already been established the use of "pneumonic plague" is a result of bad translation. They're referring to the deaths from lung damage and pneumonia. It's not "the plague" though.

The same thing happened with the translator using "SARS" in place of "acute respiratory infections". It's amazing how wide spread those terms have gotten in relation to this outbreak.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
ABC News is reporting the following:

Swine Flu Scare Tightens Borders Around Ukraine

"Compared to last year, the total number of flu deaths in Ukraine has actually dropped by 10 percent, the UNIAN news agency quoted Deputy Health Minister Vasily Lazorishinets as saying.

This led some Ukrainian officials and medical experts to accuse the government of exaggerating the outbreak for political gain ahead of presidential elections to be held in January.

In January, Tymoshenko and President Viktor Yushchenko will face off for the presidency. That election could overturn the 2004 Orange Revolution that swept a pro-Western government to power in Ukraine for the first time. Leading in the polls is Viktor Yanukovich, who was beaten in 2005 by Yushchenko, but has pulled ahead on a platform that emphasizes closer ties with Russia."

abcnews.go.com...

Lots of good facts in it. But if you don't believe, please don't start argument that it is western media and can't be trusted, you're entitled to your opinion but don't shoot the messenger and start yet another war of the words

It is what I believe into though (caused by elections) and that's pretty much what I find reliable sources are showing to us if we are not to believe every blog or forum post which are taken as a truth in this post.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I am curious to know if anyone has also found out what has happened in Canada> There is also the question re: the people who have taken this vaccine and what it's effects have been as of very recent?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I like how the media did this one:

255,000 cases of flu and acute respiratory problems have been registered among the 46m population. 15,000 have been hospitalised.

The World Health Organisation says there is no evidence to suggest that Ukraine had a bad outbreak of swine flu, but it has agreed to send a team there to help the country cope.

Hmm, so the numbers above the statement that it isn't so bad don't mean it's pretty bad then? /sarcasm

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
WHO pipes in and doesn't confirm there is a variant or plague, juts H1N1

Pandemic (H1N1) 2009, Ukraine - update 1 WHO

3 November 2009 - Laboratory testing in Ukraine has confirmed pandemic H1N1 influenza virus in samples taken from patients in two of the most affected regions. As the pandemic virus has rapidly become the dominant influenza strain worldwide, it can be assumed that most cases of influenza in Ukraine are caused by the H1N1 virus.

WHO continues to recommend no closing of borders and no restrictions on international travel, including to Ukraine. Experience shows that such measures will not stop further spread of the virus.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by Regenmacher]

If you read the article it just says that the WHO is confirming an outbrake of H1N1 influenzavirus. And that we all know, BUT WHO did not mention anything about what kills the sick!! Thay just confirmed the fact that they found H1N1 in most samples taken from patients in 2 regions, they are LIVE patients

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLUESHADOW747
I am curious to know if anyone has also found out what has happened in Canada> There is also the question re: the people who have taken this vaccine and what it's effects have been as of very recent?

Nothing untoward. A couple of deaths. No reports of bad reactions to the vaccine in my area. Local version seems pretty damn tame.

[edit on 2009/11/3 by Aeons]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Interesting, as in other parts of the country how yhey are reacting and any unusual crap going on as well ;thanks for the reply.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm posting this just to throw some more information into the mix (and considering how hyped and chaotic the Ukranian topic is at the moment, maybe what I'm about to say is not needed). This information may be WAY out of left field for many, but please bear with me. The following information deals with Timewave Zero and how it represents our current situation.

In Summary, the Timewave is a graph that tracks 'novelty,' or the 'emergence of new states of connectedness.' In other words, it tracks the ebb and flow of changes in complexity and connectivity of the human experience (sometimes big events contribute to the changes, sometimes many smaller events do). What's interesting is that the next 3 years have already been mapped out, and the past can be compared with now by using matching segments on previous cycles of the graph.

So as for H1N1 and this 'new virus,' first I want to point out that both the CDC and WHO officially recognize this strain of the flu as Novel H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu). Note the term 'novel' in the title. This is novelty affecting humanity on a global scale, and regardless of its true virulence, this topic is on everyone's mind. People are making decisions in their lives based on this threat, and the Timewave validates this as a heavy and relevant topic.

Second, our current placement on the graph puts us in resonance with 1811-12 and July 1942. The resonance with 1942 is a little easier to see than the 1811 one - in '42 the world faced an onslaught from many fronts, and the time was chaotic and horrible. Hunger for news of daily events forced media to develop new means of gathering and distributing information worldwide. Then the best media groups struggled to get information out within 4 days to a week after it occurred - today it's mere seconds. Today we also face an onslaught from every direction, and the times are hectic to say the least. One particular aspect of the '42 resonance that horrifies me personally is that of the Holocaust . Topics that come to mind when comparing then and now would be Medical experiments and New methods of mass murder. The resonance has allowed for these themes to be repeated (it was never guaranteed that they would) in the present, so it is no coincidence that there is once again talk of 'extermination.' The Timewave seems to validate our suspicions of there being a global conspiracy to murder large numbers of people.

Less obvious is the resonance of 1811, however this relates directly to the Ukranian situation. On Wednesday October 28, I found that we resonated precisely with June 9, 1811. On that day there was an event known as The Great Fire of Podil which took place in Kiev, Ukraine.

The 1811 Great fire of Podil occurred on the morning of June 9, 1811 in the historical and commercial neighborhood of Podil in Kiev (Kyiv), the capital of Ukraine. The fire lasted for three days and almost destroyed the whole neighborhood. Before the fire, the Podil was the city's most densely populated neighborhood; out of 3,672 households in the city, 2,068 were located in the Podil.

The fire's power was strengthened with high winds and the season's severe droughts, where even the nearby Dnieper River was reported to have been dried out. The city's official version of the cause of the fire, however, was said to be children playing with fire.

More than 2,000 homes, magistrate buildings, 12 churches, and 3 monasteries were destroyed in the fire. However, some buildings were spared destruction, including the House of Peter I. Smoke from the fire was reported to have been seen more than 130 km (81 mi) away.

And here is an article published just yesterday which compares the spread of the virus to that of a wildfire: Ukraine 'on verge' of state of emergency as flu virus spreads

"A flu outbreak is endangering the national security of Ukraine," declared Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko in a special decree.

As a result of viral pneumonia and related problems, 53 people have already died in Western regions of the country. The number of affected is presently estimated at 185,000.

As panic and fear grip the nation, the government in Kiev has appealed to its neighbors, including Poland, for assistance. According to some experts, due to the current situation in Ukraine, a state of emergency in Poland cannot be ruled out as flu outbreak spreads like wildfire and claims more lives.
~emphasis added on wildfire~

So yet another theme is repeated on the Timewave. Two resonances with matching themes can't be easily shrugged off as mere coincidence. It appears the Ukraine is dealing with another Great Fire of Podil, only this one might have the potential to burn the world.

Also I it found interesting that the offical cause of the Great Fire of Podil was 'said to be children playing with fire.' This is the perfect metaphor for present-day lab technicians tinkering with bio-weapons.

Below are images from the Timewave program comparing now with 1811:

Further information regarding the H1N1/Ukrainian/Timewave connection involves Joseph Moshe and his original revelation about Baxter's Ukranian lab and the development of a biological weapon that would be released in approx. 2 months. Note the date of this article: Joseph Moshe (MOSSAD Microbiologist): “Swine flu vaccine is bioweapon” (It's August 21) Remember the last Timewave peak? August 21-23:

From the article:

Professor Moshe had called into a live radio show by Dr. A. True Ott, broadcast on Republic Broadcasting claiming to be a microbiologist who wanted to supply evidence to a States Attorney regarding tainted H1N1 Swine flu vaccines being produced by Baxter BioPharma Solutions. He said that Baxter’s Ukrainian lab was in fact producing a bioweapon disguised as a vaccine. He claimed that the vaccine contained an adjuvant (additive) designed to weaken the immune system, and replicated RNA from the virus responsible for the 1918 pandemic Spanish flu, causing global sickness and mass death.

I want to state that the above connections weren't made by compiling random Google results to substantiate any claims (as some critics of the Timewave assume), it's all there in the news and is likewise present on the unchanging line of the Timewave graph.

[edit on 3/11/09 by Evasius]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
Hmm, so the numbers above the statement that it isn't so bad don't mean it's pretty bad then? /sarcasm

Well do you know how many people get sick with flu in Ukraine about this time every year? From what I know it would not surprise me if number of sick/hospitalized/dead is pretty much the same as during a regular flu season there.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman

Originally posted by akkad

I remember you from the previous thread with your pompous and personal attacks on Ecoparity - someone who was providing invaluable info and insights who you and a few others drove away thus killing the thread.

I agree that Ecoparity provided some interesting information, much of which was not available anywhere else - at least as far as I could tell. He seems to have some good sources and I want him to continue to post his information.

I dont take anyone at face value but his past information has proven to be pretty accurate.

It is, however most of it is available.

But you aren't a sock puppet account at least.

I don't have a problem with the guys info, but think that one should be concerned about his conclusions and biases that he lays on top of it. Which I've said before.

He's quite manipulative, picking out the people who are panicky and knocking them down to make his own conclusions seem more acceptable. It seems to work pretty well, which is probably why he doesn't like it when I call attention to it.

Let the information flow.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

Originally posted by ecoparity

Well do you know how many people get sick with flu in Ukraine about this time every year? From what I know it would not surprise me if number of sick/hospitalized/dead is pretty much the same as during a regular flu season there.

I'm sure that statistic must be available.

In the mean time, the Ukraine is sure getting lots of attention in the media.

geographicalmedia.com...

The only time I've seen/heard Ukrainians mentioned so much, I was in a shop in Manitoba buying sausage and perogies.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

That's exactly what can be found from that ABC News article, they say that the amount is actually lower at the moment.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLUESHADOW747
Interesting, as in other parts of the country how yhey are reacting and any unusual crap going on as well ;thanks for the reply.

However, at the evaluation clinic in my city they have police turning people away because there are so many people visiting it.

That is the fault of the government with their ever changing category of who should visit. And the wait time even for the people who call in can be horrendous.

Give people enough information to inform them, then not enough planning to support them being good citizens and reporting in. Bad planning.

I haven't heard of seen anything to give any indication that the other parts of the country are worse off.

Native reserves, pregnant women and young children seem to be the main focus. Particularly native reserves that have been isolated.

People want the vaccine, and cannot get it. There are mixed messages about there being too many people getting the vaccines and how everyone should get it. The message isn't consistent and is probably causing concern, but people are pretty stoic about it.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luppakorva
That's exactly what can be found from that ABC News article, they say that the amount is actually lower at the moment.

Exactly. This is why I stand by my original opinion that this issue is being overhyped by somebody, and that somebody is very likely part of Ukrainian elections.

This thread has over 100 pages, yet only a couple pages full of actual facts. Meanwhile I have yet to spot a thread on Ukrainian elections, the potential for a new gas dispute with Russia, and Ukrainian economy being flushed down the toilet. Plagues are much more exciting than that. You know what else is more exciting? Zombies. Thats right I said it - zombies in Ukraine.
Hey it could be very real. Some may still remember the "Orange Revolution" where the defeated opposition has recruited some zombies to overturn the elections and... oh well you know how it goes from there.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by maloy]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don.t feel it.s strange more like predictable as the targets are probably very well manipulated and the extreme measures will fall secondary after the first blows I feel however that we willsee or hear of deflections and?or distractions such as UKRAINE and then a blowout will surface oblivious to a majority. It is still amazing and bizarre how little this whole mess is going with internet age, high-tech and coverage around the world but, with almost certain this is a good start to major works ahead

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

Zombies. Thats right I said it - zombies in Ukraine.

Yup. I ran a Ukrainian article about the flu outbreak through Google translate, and it said that people would "be dead for a few days"...

edit to add:
Here it is ("Pneumonic plague has claimed 1,500 lives in Ukraine")

People die for a few days.

[edit on 3 Nov 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Just seen this news released on the main MSM news website over here(Ireland). It looks like the stakes may be getting higher :

Swine flu is killing more than a tenth of those it infects in California and up to 20% of older victims, a study has shown.

Researchers in the US state also found almost a third of cases required intensive care treatment. Hospital admissions and death could occur "at all ages".

The findings, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (Jama), fly in the face of common perceptions of swine flu being a generally mild illness.

The US researchers looked at 1,088 cases of swine flu reported in California between April 23 and August 11 this year.

Of these, 32% were children under the age of 18, with infants having the highest rates of hospital admissions. The midpoint age of patients was 27.

In total, 340 patients (31%) were admitted to hospital intensive care units. Of the 297 intensive care cases for whom information was available, 65% required mechanical ventilation.

Chest X-rays of 833 patients revealed indications of pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome.

The researchers recorded 118 deaths. Fatalities were most common among people aged 50 and over, who had a mortality rate of between 18% and 20%. Seven per cent of deaths were among children younger than 18.

Among fatal cases, it typically took just 12 days after the onset of symptoms for the patient to die. The most common causes of death were viral pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndrome.

The authors, led by Dr Janice Louie from the California Department of Public Health, wrote: "In contrast with the common perception that pandemic 2009 influenza A (H1N1) infection causes only mild disease, hospitalisation and death occurred at all ages, and up to 30% of hospitalised cases were severely ill."

Most patients admitted to hospital had underlying health problems, including high blood pressure and obesity, said the scientists. They suggested obesity might be a newly identified risk factor for fatal swine flu infection.

The researchers added: "Clinicians should maintain a high level of suspicion for pandemic 2009 influenza A (H1N1) infection in patients presenting currently with influenza-like illness who are older than 50 years or have known risk factors for influenza complications, regardless of rapid test results. Hospitalised infected cases should be carefully monitored and treated promptly with anti-viral agents."

---------------------------

Methinks this is gonna be a rough ride and Bamaman knows exactly whats coming. Thats what your state of emergency is for buds. It will be a lot more than 11% once the hospitals start to come under pressure. They don't need no goddam dodgy vaccines. This is gonna do enough damage on its own. They have let the fear over vaccanation flourish so people wouldn't be fighting to get it. That could all change very quickly.

new topics

top topics

<< 101  102  103    105  106  107 >>

join