It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia hails UN support of confidence-building in outer space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Russia hails UN support of confidence-building in outer space

en.rian.ru

The draft resolution on Transparency and Confidence-Building Measures in Outer Space, submitted by Russia and China, was approved late on Thursday by all 192 members of the UN First Committee (Disarmament and International Security).

"The unanimous support of this resolution indicates that the conditions have been created to use this treaty as a basis for opening talks in the near future on a legally-binding agreement banning the deployment of weapons in outer space," said Viktor Vasilyev, a deputy head of the Russian delegation in the First Committee.

The document envisions, in partic
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
features.csmonitor.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russian president backs nuclear spaceship

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
"In the past, only the United States and several island nations opposed similar Russian proposals."

I wonder why the US (the leader in space defense, surveillance and monitoring would oppose this UN resolution? LOL

An why would it be proposed by the Russians? I thought the Russians were doing very well with their space programs!

Today's news: "President Dmitry Medvedev says Russia will spend $600 million on a nuclear-powered spacecraft to take men to Mars, and beyond."

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I view these moves as China and Russia collaberating to out do the American empire. Once America invades Iran through Israel it will control a great portion of the worlds resources and be certainly quite a power to be reckon with. I believe they are taking all the steps they can to go against the U.S. empire strategically without actually declaring war as the U.S. has done for so long. Just look at the economic showdown going on and the question of the U.S. dollar not being the worlds reserve currency anymore. Things will heat up soon. It's only a matter of time.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is quite amusing. I like the spin on this. My question is don't they already have these devices and weapons in space? I'm pretty sure that both the Russians and the US already have their cold war arsenal up there already... so unless the ban reduces the weapons out there I don't see a point to it.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'll go ahead and say it.
A few countries on this planet seem to act with responsibility.

The fact of the matter is that we have visitors here to this planet via elsewhere.
It is absolutely foolish to weaponize space based on this fact alone.

There is the exopolitical explanation.
The Earthly explanation?

Russia AND China know that they don't have the space capabilities of the US. It is therefore obvious why they would support such a thing. Not that it matters much to the US. Even if it were outlawed, the US would ignore it.

The bigger question is why is it being brought up in the first place? What can the UN do about it?
Absolutely nothing. First and foremost because the US could do so incognito and nobody would be the wiser.

Nay, this is an example of these countries trying to make it be known that they don't want weaponization in space. Because it could potentially piss the aliens off.
What better way to assure your destruction than by threatening to kill the very people who engineered your species in a labratory and later destroyed you because they felt that you could potentially challenge their authority, only to rebuild a dumbed-down version?

Either way, Von Braun said that this would happen. Weaponization of space. "After they have blamed the terrorists, they will blame aliens as a reason to weaponize space." (paraphrasing)

Of course before they blame aliens for anything, they have to tell us aliens exist.
Just sayin.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

This is quite amusing. I like the spin on this. My question is don't they already have these devices and weapons in space? I'm pretty sure that both the Russians and the US already have their cold war arsenal up there already

Excluding weapons in space seems to be the new Russian montra:New arms treaty must exclude weapons in space - Russian general

"Our country is interested in including limitations not only on the number of nuclear warheads, but also on the number of their delivery vehicles in the new arms reduction treaty. We also stand for maintaining the ban on the deployment of strategic weapons, offensive and defensive, outside national borders, the prohibition of any kinds of offensive weapons in space
A Russian reality check on space weapons

But Dvorkin drew attention to past Soviet-era space weapons. “One might remember Soviet anti-satellite spacecraft that were capable to close in on unfriendly satellites and kill them,” he said. These were space-to-space combat systems, operating from orbit — unlike other anti-satellite weapons, such as a U.S. system that involved basing a missile on Earth and firing it into space. The Soviet system, considered a genuine space weapon, had the potential to operate anywhere in near-Earth space that its booster rockets could send it.

I have no doubt that the Russians are working on something although I can't find anything specific that they've deleloped. But my guess is that the Russians may win a battle or two but that the US will win the (space) war! IMHO.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

The bigger question is why is it being brought up in the first place? What can the UN do about it?

I think we can all agree on that! Not much, ie. it's hard to send inspectors into space.

The fact of the matter is that we have visitors here to this planet via elsewhere. It is absolutely foolish to weaponize space based on this fact alone.

I've always heard that we have free choice in these matters. Ie. the US can do what it wants, they won't interfere. If interference was their agenda they would have done it back in cold war days when things were hot.

Nay, this is an example of these countries trying to make it be known that they don't want weponization in space. Because it could potentially piss the aliens off.

I can't recall reading anything about the Russians or the Chinese trying not to piss off the aliens. My guess is that if the Russians or the Chinese had the resourses they would have weaponized space first. They just couldn't.

Either way, Von Braun said that this would happen. Weaponization of space. "After they have blamed the terrorists, they will blame aliens as a reason to weaponize space."

I remember Reagan tried that (3 times) and no one believed him and no one remembers.www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

For starters, he has become the first President of the United States to talk about he possibility of an alien invasion from outer space, and he has done so not once or twice but in three speeches.

My guess we are not out to kill aliens. It's more like Teddy Rosevelt said: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"

[edit on 30/10/09 by plumranch]

new topics

top topics

join