It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 22 Killed, 60 Wounded in Israeli Helicopter Attack in Gaza

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
At least 22 Palestinians have been killed and 60 injured when Israeli forces fired on or near a crowd in the Rafah refugee camp in southern Gaza. Approximately three thousand people were demonstrating against a massive operation in the refugee camp in the town. Israeli forces entered the camp to attack militants and find and destroy tunnels used to smuggle weapons.

BBC

Military officials acknowledged they fired four tank shells, a missile, and automatic weapons as "warning shots" to stop the protesters from approaching what officials called a battle zone. The officials claim they fired towards an abandoned structure, and not directly into the crowd. Witnesses, however, report seeing at least one explosion occur in the middle of a large group of people.

Several children were among the dead, and more than 60 people were injured, 17 seriously, Palestinian medical workers said. A BBC correspondent at the hospital described the floors as "covered in blood" as doctors feverishly worked to help the wounded. There is concern that local hospitals are not equipped to deal with the number and seriousness of the injuries.

Palenstinians claim among the dead were a 13-year-old boy and his 16-year-old sister, shot dead by an Israeli sniper as they gathered laundry from their rooftop.

The White House has expressed concern over the events in Gaza today. "We are very concerned about reports from Gaza and the number of Palestinians who are said to have been injured and killed," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said. "We have asked the government of Israel for the facts about what happened today. We will continue to follow this closely and we urge all parties to exercise maximum restraint,"

Related News Stories:
Sky.com
Guardian.co.uk
Reuters

Related ATSNN/TA Stories:
Israel Guilty of War Crimes Against Palestinians
Israel missiles strike Gaza camp Breaking News

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by John bull 1]

[Edited on 5-25-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
How long will isreal be allowed to slaughter innocent civilians under the guise of 'security'?
Where is the outrage?
Why does the united states not only turn a blind eye to this, but apparently condone it?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe
... when Israel forces fired on a crowd in Rafah in southern Gaza. Thousands of people were demonstrating against a massive operation in the refugee camp in the town. Reports say Isrealis opened fire on thousands of

I think this is a prime example of bias in BBC reporting. This makes it sound as though Israel just opened up and started firing on the crowd. I highly doubt that. Israel is noted for precision strikes on specific targets - not like a suicide bomber at a bus stop or a nightclub.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

I think this is a prime example of bias in BBC reporting. This makes it sound as though Israel just opened up and started firing on the crowd.

True, however, reports say Israeli helicopters fired missiles onto the crowd. Seems quite unlikely, and I haven't found sources that confirmed this, but there are reports about it...

I hope to get more info soon...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
"slaughter"? That's one of the most stupid comments I've heard today. I live in Israel, and here we teach our children that peace is our ultimate goal in life, just for you to know: the palestinians teach their children that the ultimate goal in life is killing as many Israeli citizens as possible. This is a fact.

You see a palestinian boy who was accidently killed by IDF soldiers and you think we are murderers, while you don't know that the parents of this boy probably think that sending him to suicide and killing dozens of Israelis is the most noble thing on earth.

"Aware" - your lack of knowlage is simply pathetic.

btw. read my reply here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit: according to news reports here in Israel, missiles where indeed fired to open areas near the crowd. the crowd was approaching a place called "Tel Sultan" (there are some many IDF soldiers there) and had gunman among them who were armed with RPGs and other weapons. The palestinians say 15 people were killed.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Transc3ndent]

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Transc3ndent]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
22 people reported killed now.
Sky News link

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
why cant the UN just get off thier asses and stop focusing on paper work and stop the killing by BOTH sides ?
why cant they just come in and lay a demiliterised zone?
they have the means,the manpower and the reason but why not?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I've just seen some film of this and it really does not look good.After the controversy already surrounding the Bulldozing of homes and it's contravention of The Geneva Protocols this couldn't of come at a worse time.

Good move making this the Alert Story BTW.

It is far more important than purple powder on Blair even if it is less sensational.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Hmm, missiles? Wow, why would you fire missiles as crowd control...Although itsounds like a big protest. Haven't read any other reports of this yet, we'll have to see how this one pans out.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Even Foxnews is reporting 23 dead. This is very bad. I understand Israel has a right to defend itself but shooting up homes as they are and now killing protestors, this is only fueling the fire against them.

I fear that soon the US will have no choice but to turn its back on Isreal. We have our own problems in the Arab world to deal with.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
if the US turns it back on isreal then they will turn like most arab nations into thinking that the US is the threat
frankly some third party should jump in and stop it

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Right. EVERY Palestinian is a terrorist. Every one. We better kill them all before they can kill any one else. Right. Give me a break. This is murder. Period.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The only thing that would make sense for firing missles into crowd is if they had intel that a very high value target was there. Otherwise I can't see them doing that.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If you ask me I'd say Israel is the superpower, I mean face it, there is not a single nation on this globe that dares to tell Israel stop doing those things or else....

All UN, US, EU can do is tell Israel it's wrong.. but Israel just laugh at the rest of the world and tell the world that they have the right to defend them self so STFU, but don't the Palestinians also have the right to defend them self ? Where is their army and Apache's and tanks etc ?

Devilwasp,

So America can't do a thing against it, and who else do you think should do it ? I don't think anyone can stop this. You see, now there is no nation that can help the Palestinians, SH was the last one who could. Now you'll see Israeli actions to get harder against the Palestinians, after all no one has the balls to challenge them.

I've just heard on the radio that there will likely to be more deaths because the hospital there can't handle so many wounded, and the IDF is blocking Ambulances to get to the scene.

Well they are not making them self much populair this way.. very sad how they threat peoples.

Imagine it was SH doing this to the Kurds or anyone else.....

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by TigeriS]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Stop and think. The Jews are the only democratic nation in the Middle East. They are on the side of the good guys. The Arabs are the the bad guys.
The news media only reports how the Arabs are the victims.
This is pure nonce. If you continously kill and main your sworn enemy don't yopu expect your enemy to react? This is what the Jews are doing.
I hope the Jews eliminate all the bastards.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
Stop and think. The Jews are the only democratic nation in the Middle East. They are on the side of the good guys. The Arabs are the the bad guys.
The news media only reports how the Arabs are the victims.
This is pure nonce. If you continously kill and main your sworn enemy don't yopu expect your enemy to react? This is what the Jews are doing.
I hope the Jews eliminate all the bastards.

Democratic ? Only if you're born in the right family you mean. And also someone who say things like you do are in my eyes no better than the terrorists, the only difference is that you have more power, militairy strength and technology, the results however is the same, death and destruction.

There are better ways to deal with things like this, however I am fully aware that most human can't see that. It's a pitty..

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch They are on the side of the good guys. The Arabs are the the bad guys. I hope the Jews eliminate all the bastards.

I hope you don't honestly believe that venom you are spouting. Israel aligns itself with the US only because it suits their own self-interest and due to a lobby that rivals the NRA. If you ever think that Israel has the best interest of the US in mind, read about the USS LIberty and ask the survivors what they think.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by Bleys]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
israel did right !
it should be stupied not to shoot the ones who are pointing their guns on you !
in a matter of life or death it is just the one who shoots FIRST and eliminate the other one that will survive !

besides the impact of rubber bullets against hardcore
point 50's...too long the israelis have used the "soft approach" against stupied people who do not want to learn that you can not blow people up or shoot them from an ambush !

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i dont think that america cant do anything i just think that if america gives isreal the cold shoulder it will fight back against america

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
israel did right !
it should be stupied not to shoot the ones who are pointing their guns on you !
in a matter of life or death it is just the one who shoots FIRST and eliminate the other one that will survive !

besides the impact of rubber bullets against hardcore
point 50's...too long the israelis have used the "soft approach" against stupied people who do not want to learn that you can not blow people up or shoot them from an ambush !

im afriad no 1 is right in this
so your a prestrike man are u ?very interstin
actually most western countries would use ambushes and bombs to get thier word across

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join