It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Most Incredible Earth Scars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here is an article in Environmental Graffiti featuring 10 of the largest open mines on the planet:

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

I have selected three photos from the article to post. The article features information about each mine, where it is and what was mined there, for example.

This is the Kalgoorlie Super Pit in Western Australia:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00e5b7574ae6.jpg[/atsimg]

This is the Chuquicamata Mine in Chile:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1308d3844736.jpg[/atsimg]

This is the Bingham Canyon Mine in Utah:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c969236b16f7.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 29-10-2009 by berenike]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Very good!

I mean, very bad.....

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

I know what you mean.

I haven't any particular stance on mining except that too much of it is a bad thing for the environment.

These pictures, to me, are rather beautiful. You have to stop and think what the land would have looked like before the mines to realise that they are actually rather ugly in comparison.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Man.... my favorite Earth scar wasn't on the list. THE WILDS is a nature park in Eastern Ohio. It looks like an African Plain. It is located on thousands upon thousands of acres of former strip mine. Its like 37 km2. It is the largest wildlife conservation center in America.

It may not be a deep, visible from space hole in the ground, but its a gigantic reclaimed mine with animals all up in it.

Holes are cool, but I give the cake to the scar with the cheetahs and rhinos roaming free in it.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
Holes are cool, but I give the cake to the scar with the cheetahs and rhinos roaming free in it.

And I'll put the cherry on the cake

Let's hope that one day the holes in the article go the same way.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

It does look like Africa!
Who knew?

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The holes destroyed not just the land, but the lives behind it: People displaced, enslaved and victimized against, all for the valuable commodity that they had the misfortune of living on top of, not to mention the miners used up and tossed aside in the pursuit of the Industrial Revolution.

It is a revolution still going on strong today with materialism and greed fueling the plunder of Earth, which cannot possibly go on without major confrontations between nations who want to profit threatening the existence of Earth unless of course, there is a singular world government plundering hand in hand

From the article:

Another open pit whose name leaves little to the imagination, the Big Hole in Kimberly, South Africa, is said to be the largest hole excavated by hand – despite recent claims that the nearby Jagersfontein Mine holds the some might say dubious title.

While it was closed in 1914, during its 43-year lifetime, the 50,000 workers who broke their backs using picks and shovels shifted 22.5 million tonnes of earth, yielding almost 3 tonnes of diamonds for their jolly bosses, the de Beer brothers.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Well done!

I'll see if I can find pictures of additional "scars" to post them here.
(OR the time to find them. ;-)

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Vanitas]

new topics

top topics

join