It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police look into gunshot at Dobbs' home

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Police look into gunshot at Dobbs' home

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A gunshot struck the home of CNN anchor Lou Dobbs this month, and police in New Jersey are trying to determine whether the bullet was fired intentionally or was a stray.

State Police Sgt. Steve Jones said Thursday that his department received a call from Dobbs' wife, who heard a shot and said a bullet hit her house. Jones said she had been outside her house with "an employee who worked with Dobbs" at 10:25 a.m.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is pretty disturbing. I know Lou Dobbs has upset a lot of people with his stance on immigration, exporting jobs, even Obama’s Birth Certificate but one has to wonder why people always feel compelled towards violence in response to positions they don’t agree with.

It’s not like the man sets policy. It’s not like the show can’t be turned off your own TV set with a flick of a button.

Lou Dobbs is one of the few people in the media in my humble opinion who actually is more concerned about facts than he is supposition and political correctness.

Is this the future for all people who aren’t politically correct? Speak passionately to what you perceive to be the truth?

Amazingly because he is a White Male this won’t be seen as a hate crime!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I saw this too and it is disturbing. I was thinking it could be a hunter's stray bullet or something. That part of the state he lives is very rural and it is possible. But it could also be a sicko who watches to much Hardball!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

He said the hostility has "become part of a way of life, the anger, the hate, the vitriol, but it's taken a different tone where they threaten my wife."

"They've now fired a shot at my house while my wife was standing next to the car. It's become something else, and if anybody thinks that we're not engaged in a battle for the soul of this country right now, you're sorely mistaken."

I tend to agree with him that we are in a battle for the soul of this country now. The pace and scope and breadth and depth of the changes are happening far to rapidly for them to truly be considered rational or well thought out ones.

If Dobbs has demonstrated one thing its that far too often we absolutely do not use common sense or even enforce our own laws in a common sense way.

The man who coined the term "The best government money can buy" seems to be well on his way to buying the farm for his efforts!

Tis a pity.

[edit on 29/10/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Whos to say that this was intentional?

Whos to say the person that did the shooting knew whos house it was?

So what Lou Dobbs had his house shot. The only reason its big news is because of who he is. It was probably a stray and it had nothing to do with who he is, which will be a huge blow to his ego as he realizes his popularity or noriety wasn't the reason his house got shot.

"Jones said a bullet struck the section of the house where the attic is but didn't penetrate the dwelling. He said the bullet fell to the ground and was recovered. Dobbs' wife saw damage to the siding, Jones said."

This right here pretty much screams stray.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

It could scream stray, it could scream warning shot.

The Coast Guard fires over the bow of a ship it wants to slow and stop not into it's midsection friend.

Where do you imagine a stray bullet comes from in an upscale neighborhood for the wealthy? A hunter? A drive by shooting on a rival drug dealer?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Yea a warning shot hit the siding, bounced off and hit the ground.

They must have used a specific bullet, one with a low amount of gunpowder. I mean, if it can't penetrate siding then there was no danger, unless of course it hit them in the eye.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Have to agree there. The "stray bullet" theory doesn't seem likely in a wealthy neighborhood.

But seriously, why are people surprised? When you guys post stories about Lou Dobbs, Rush, Hannity, Beck, Savage, Palin, the responses those posts ellicit are some of the most hateful, spiteful comments made and that's here on ATS. Imagine what goes on around the country on other boards that aren't moderated so well. Is it any wonder something like this happens?

Frankly, I'm surprised Rush's and Beck's house isn't shot at every night with the amount of negativity spewed out toward them, least of all by the MSM!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

I guess you haven't seen hurricane grade shudders have you my friend?

Stop a bullet and other projectiles travelling at well over a hundred miles per hour.

Do you think this guy lives in a tar paper shack or something?

Metal sidings and metal shudders tend to stop metal bullets on impact. Just a thought my friend!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
warning shot or not, a bullet hits my house, i'm on high alert until it is proven that it was a stray.

i do not blame the guy for getting defensive. because if it was not a stray, then he's got to prove he will not take this kind of thing lying down.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Lou Dobbs, Rush, Hannity, Beck, Savage, Palin

This reminds me of the Sesame Street song, "Which one of these kids is doing his own thing?"

Unlike the rest of those you listed, Dobbs truly is "Mr. Independent". He seems to genuinely not be a player in the political 2 party game/illusion like the rest of them. He calls them all out, and that would likely be the reason he is a target over Rush, Beck, etc. They are doing their jobs to divide the people of this country, so there can never be a unified stand against our corrupt government. That probably was a warning shot, not by some nut job either.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

FIrst of all its not a gated community or anything like that. He lives on a 300 acre farm surrounded by farms and not too far a wildlife preserve.
Im now thinking it isnt a hunter's stray bullet. I found the NJ hunting season information. If you look at the below chart in the link you will see the only open season during the time the shot was fired was for squirrel, woodchuck, rabbit or small game, not deer season yet.
Im thinking your average hunter isnt going to be missing his target by that much considering the game he is hunting, and I dont think there is a huge demand for small game in this state.

www.state.nj.us...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Where do you imagine a stray bullet comes from in an upscale neighborhood for the wealthy? A hunter? A drive by shooting on a rival drug dealer?

A stray shot from a long gun would not be a "totally uncommon occurrence because of the hunters and target shooters" in the region, Jones said.

It seems to me a single shot from a long gun would be a strange way to threaten someone. But I don't know... And would Lou Dobb's critics even own guns?
Just a joke there.

I don't blame Dobbs for getting defensive either. I would. Especially if I'd had nasty phone calls previously.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions either way. I'll have to wait and see what they find out.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

one has to wonder why people always feel compelled towards violence in response to positions they don’t agree with.

Some people edge toward violence in situations like this in the hopes that they can get the person that they disagree with to be shut up, be it from death or fear, so that the alternative point of view doesn't get out because they're too sure that they're position or stance is beyond a shadow of a doubt correct.

At least that's what I think.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Have to agree there. The "stray bullet" theory doesn't seem likely in a wealthy neighborhood.

But seriously, why are people surprised? When you guys post stories about Lou Dobbs, Rush, Hannity, Beck, Savage, Palin, the responses those posts ellicit are some of the most hateful, spiteful comments made and that's here on ATS. Imagine what goes on around the country on other boards that aren't moderated so well. Is it any wonder something like this happens?

Frankly, I'm surprised Rush's and Beck's house isn't shot at every night with the amount of negativity spewed out toward them, least of all by the MSM!

I really wouldn't put Dobbs in the category of those other people. I have to be honest though I have never really listened to those other people.

I have in the past listened to Dobbs before I stopped watching TV. I agree with him its harmful to export jobs. I agree with him its harmful to deflate the living wage by using a cheap illegal labor pool willing to work for less because of their legal status.

Like me Lou Dobbs is not a racist, but a pragmatist. He has a lot of respect for Mexicans and Latinos but respects that if people participating in the system illigitimately are willing to work for less that it denegrates the system for the other little guys who can't afford to do so in that same manner.

It helps big business, it exposes the illegal worker to inherent risks, it prohibits living wages being offered to legal workers.

That's all common sense and it truly does offend people who are in desperate situations and circumstances who feel compelled to risk not complying with the system.

The reality is that we are collapsing from within because the rush to get in at any and all costs is leading to a form of chaos that is profitible for the corporations but coslty to the citizens born into and obligated to the system because of it.

Amazingly people who don't even belong technically in the debate or attempting to dominate the debate and create the kind of divide and conquer atmosphere that leads to chaos.

To me that all makes perfect sense. The reality is that you can legally immigrate to the United States it just requires certain procedures be followed. The reality is that Dobbs nor I am against legal immigration or legal immigrants working for living wages.

That's not a conservative radical in my humble opinion thats just prudence and being rational.

So much of the debate being presented by so many people out to entitle themselves at the easy expense of others is not rational.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease though, and the best way to be the squeeky wheel is to eliminate other wheels that squeek too!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

I agree with you that Dobbs is not party afiliated. He is common sense geared. To him I imagine being American is simply following our own rules and giving them the opportunity to make them work, and to first consider what's in America's best collective interest instead of the Corporate interest.

Dobbs has been highly crititical of the things that weaken our institutions and standard of living and done it in a non-partisan way. I have seen him be respectful to democrats and republicans alike that have good ideas, and seen him be brutally and scathingly honest with democrats and republicans alike that promote bad ideas.

That doesn't sound like a Rush or Hannity to me.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by crw2006
reply to post by sos37

FIrst of all its not a gated community or anything like that. He lives on a 300 acre farm surrounded by farms and not too far a wildlife preserve.
Im now thinking it isnt a hunter's stray bullet. I found the NJ hunting season information. If you look at the below chart in the link you will see the only open season during the time the shot was fired was for squirrel, woodchuck, rabbit or small game, not deer season yet.
Im thinking your average hunter isnt going to be missing his target by that much considering the game he is hunting, and I dont think there is a huge demand for small game in this state.

www.state.nj.us...

Thanks that is some great additional information for obvious reasons that isn't being disclosed by the press.

I imagine the local police will sort it out in short order because of his celebrity.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
warning shot or not, a bullet hits my house, i'm on high alert until it is proven that it was a stray.

i do not blame the guy for getting defensive. because if it was not a stray, then he's got to prove he will not take this kind of thing lying down.

Dobbs sure does not strike me as a person who would take anything laying down that's for sure!

Whether it's a stalker, someone with deliberate mennace and intent to harm or a lax and careless person, everyone deserves to be safe and secure in their own home!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Doubt its anything really.

Police probably where shooting some homeless people and missed.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

We have found out a little additional information in this thread regarding the size of his estate. A handgun wouldn't be a very good weapon because of it's accuracy at long range to hit a distant structure.

Additionally we also have to consider that the police might not be releasing accurate information for some specific reason in an attempt to thwart or mislead a subject.

Thanks for posting friend.

<<   2  3 >>

join