It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you own land, could you secede and make your own country?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Even if you could... what happens when you get sick? Or you have a bad crop and need outside food? How are you going to get another nation to deal with you? They won't be very willing because of the precedent it will set...

I think it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth. If you bought some land in the middle of no where, within an established country, would it really be that restrictive if you're basically alone anyway? The cost of property tax would likely pale in comparison to the cost of managing your own micronation.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The thing about it is - even if they didn't take it from you, it would be very difficlut to just make your own country.

Say I declared my house and yard, "Frogsland" and the US gov said, "Ok".

However, they would also be within their rights to embargo me if they wanted. No goods in or out of Frogland.

Declare that citizens of the small but proud country of Frogsland coudn't pay for things in our mightly national currency, the Froggo, or set some silly exchange rate. Heck, its not like they don't just print more dollars when they need them.

Citizens of Frogsland might have to pass thru customs to go to the mailbox for goodness sake - and might have to pay international postage rates to boot!!

Sadly, even if they just didn't take it from you outright they have 1000's of ways to make such an undertaking very painful.

I think if I tried it I'd have to soon lower the beloved flag of Frogsland and rejoin the union.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Frogs]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join