It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Start Radiating Monkeys

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
thats sick they should take some of these psycho killers and molesters sitting in jail and use them for the experiments and leave the monkeys be.. They deserve death anyways

[edit on 29-10-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

As far as i know they were only on the space station, which lies within the limits of the earth's magnetic field. Astronauts traveling to say mars, would experience higher levels of radiation than those aboard the space station.

As to the topic, while it would be better if they could get human volunteers, they've got to run the tests on something. Humanity needs to expand beyond this planet if it is to survive in the long run, maybe even past this century. Studies like these will help us in establishing colonies on other bodies in our solar system. One can lament the use of animals as test subjects, but it is vitally important we find these things out. And again i would personally prefer human volunteers for studies such as these, but until they start volunteering, these scientists and others will continue to use animals.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
As far as i know they were only on the space station, which lies within the limits of the earth's magnetic field. Astronauts traveling to say mars, would experience higher levels of radiation than those aboard the space station.

Sure. That makes sense - isn't the Van Allen Belt a high radiation belt? Didn't the Apollo astronauts have to cross it?

And again i would personally prefer human volunteers for studies such as these, but until they start volunteering, these scientists and others will continue to use animals.

That reminds me of the first dog in space. He made it nicely up there, and the left him to starve and die slowly.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yes, you are correct.

I agree, it was sad that animals were sent into space to die. It would have been equally sad had humans been sent into space to die. Unfortunately, what we call progress isn't always jubilant.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

not if they take some of these killer/molesters off of death row and save their execution money and just go ahead and radiate/nuke/blast them into space. Screw volunteers send the ones in jail that deserve it they need to depopulate the prisons anyways

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

They are still human beings with rights, no matter how grievous their crimes. That isn't to say animals don't deserve certain rights as well.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morbo the Annihilator

Sure. That makes sense - isn't the Van Allen Belt a high radiation belt? Didn't the Apollo astronauts have to cross it?

Thats always been my biggest "we never went to the moon" argument. Apparently Van Allen himself said something to the affect that the radiation levels aren't all that dangerous.

But I've also read reports of astronauts on the shuttle on the far fringe of the belt, hearing crackling noises and seeing flashes even with their eyes closed. I'd think if the radiation was high enough to do that, then.....

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
reply to post by optimus primal

not if they take some of these killer/molesters off of death row and save their execution money and just go ahead and radiate/nuke/blast them into space. Screw volunteers send the ones in jail that deserve it they need to depopulate the prisons anyways

Can you imagine if you sent a death row inmate on a one-way trip into space? Man would he/she have to deal with some serious isolation. Forget solitary confinement. Try SPACE confinement. That might seriously scare the crap out of people considering violent crimes.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

yeah i would not protest it for sure i mean if their gonna waste all that money and years keeping them on death row why not. Strap em down, confine them and send them for a ride/experiment not much different from killing a monkey i mean they do by all means contain 90+ percent of our dna and have souls too so not much different

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
Thats always been my biggest "we never went to the moon" argument.

That's funny. Hubby and I have many times discussed the reasons why we did/did not go to the moon. The radiation belt and the technology of the 60s were the biggies for us, but we sometimes feel so silly when we even consider that we haven't been to the moon.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Can't we just take it as read that this radiation needs to be blocked out period. didnt we discover this with tests decades ago?

Why must we cause living beings intolerable cruelty.

the human race is always approaching problems from the bottom up... to save money in the name of science...

Its time to approach things from the top down... and expect the best from ourselves especially when living beings are involved ..

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Its about time. I was getting tired of the monkeys smiling at me, making fun of me and flinging poo at me.

And now starts the "War on Monkeys".
An attack on the greatest threat to man.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
humans are disgusting

A wise man once said: "You can tell alot about a society by how they treat animals".

A wise man once said: "Quotes prove nothing".

Then the stupid man quoted him and said "Quotes prove nothing".

I do not understand how we can farm animals for food, where lets say one cow can feed a person for how long...but then we use 20-30 monkeys which "CAN" have an infinite amount of positive results in terms of medicine, saving many more life's than harm done.

STILL, the monkeys dying are the WORST CASE scenario. Right behind it is the excruciating pain!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
After seeing the picture today of the chimpanzees mourning the loss of another, all lined up, quiet, staring at its corpse as it rolls by... and people somehow say they cant feel emotion... If that's not emotion then I don't know what is.

Chimpanzees 'Mourn' Death Of A Friend

I could never knowingly cause something to suffer.. and to tell me they dont understand emotion or pain is crazy. And while I do understand we must sacrifice and such for science.. there is probably better ways to measure such values.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Yeah I kinda feel the same when I think about it. But when you get an Xray they generally cover your entire body with a pretty heavy and pretty thick lead "suit".

On that scale, how dangerous is radiation in outer space? Is it as dangerous or less dangerous than an xray machine? I guess, since we don't have 6 ft thick lead space shuttles it must be the x ray machine.

Or maybe we have been in contact with ET life, and possess the technology that they use on their ships to repel radiation, and in turn employ that technology on our space craft.

Either that, or radiation in space is less dangerous than an x ray machine.

I think I'm slightly veering off topic here.

So how about the astronauts that have been to the moon. They had to have been exposed to more radiation than someone in near earth orbit. They also probably spent some time in space doing other things other than just going to the moon. What are they affects on their collective health? Have any developed cancers or other affects of radiation exposure?

If they went to the moon and were exposed to low doses of radiation, is that radiation in "their system"? Does it stay in their system for life, or does it fade away? Like drugs, after a period of no exposure is it "gone" from their systems?

I have alot of questions about the Moon, and I'm not entirely willing to say we never went, but I'm also not entirely willing to say we have.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I am contacting NASA and going to give them a piece of my mind! I am mad as hell over this!

I suggest all of you who feel the same do as I am going to do!

Wow, now with all we have disclosed about Blackops this is just disgusting and completely unnessisary.

Edit for

[edit on 29-10-2009 by antar]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
I do not understand how we can farm animals for food, where lets say one cow can feed a person for how long...but then we use 20-30 monkeys which "CAN" have an infinite amount of positive results in terms of medicine, saving many more life's than harm done.

STILL, the monkeys dying are the WORST CASE scenario. Right behind it is the excruciating pain!

Okay, well, some of us don't eat animals, either. I also don't buy products that test on them or contain animal products. I haven't worn leather, silk, or fur in 10 years (okay, well I've never worn fur, but you know what I mean). So for those of us who try to make ALL animals lives as free of torture and pain as possible, this just seems a little extreme.

Should monkeys have to die or experience excruciating pain anyway? Its not like the US has spare money right now to spend on crap like this. This is TOTALLY EXORBITANT and unncecessary at this point in time. In the future? I'm still pushing for a child rapist I used to know who is now in prison. I will gladly volunteer him for the first in-space radiation experiment.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
uh... isnt this torture? can they go to jail for that?
(i can dream can i?)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

I have alot of questions about the Moon, and I'm not entirely willing to say we never went, but I'm also not entirely willing to say we have.

Heh. Apparently this is a topic we could talk about for some time. I have no idea how to answer your questions. And I have a few of my own I'd like to add as well. And the statement you made above is EXACTLY how I feel - I'm not quite ready to commit either way.

In terms of the radiation longevity, I believe that the radiation would degrade DNA permanently, but radiation at the cellular level would reduce with each generational split of the cells.

And a star for Quantum Squirrel because I totally agree!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
So they've sent guys into space, and they need to test monkeys to figure out what happens to guys that go into space.......I'm definately missing something here.

Don't astronauts stay up there for months? I know they used to on mir.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join