It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Start Radiating Monkeys

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

NASA to Start Radiating Monkeys

dsc.discovery.com

Oct. 29, 2009 -- NASA is stepping up its space radiation studies with a round of experiments that for the first time in decades will use monkeys as subjects.

The point of the experiments is to understand how the harsh radioactive environment of space affects human bodies and behavior and what countermeasures can be developed to make long-duration spaceflight safe for travelers beyond Earth's protective magnetic shield.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Oh boy, PETA is going to go nuts over this. I find this statement interesting:

The animals, which will not be killed, will remain at McLean Hospital, where they will be overseen by veterinarians and staff.

Will not be killed....unless the radiation does them in. I suppose it would be too much to ask Death Row Inmates to volunteer for this. Alas, we must know what affects deep space radiation will have, so there is not really any way around using monkeys.

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Just ridiculous! I don't see why the monkeys have to suffer! They say they won't be killed, they will probably be better off dead. As the OP said, why not put death row inmates in a giant microwave and blast them with radiation, leave the monkeys out of it!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Actually it would be a great way to use the absolutely known guilty death row inmates.
That and people like the 15-20 people that raped the 15 year old girl or harms children, okay pretty much any of the true sick degenerates alive today.

Seriously though this is rather sickening. I am no PETA person by any aspect as I see a need to use animals for food. But I am not about full out torturing animals which is what this is. Why not since this “needs” to be done find those willing to sacrifice for science. If they are willing to put themselves through this so we can learn they are truly dedicated to their cause. If no one steps up then I guess no one is really that interested in finding out what will happen.

Why must we torture some monkeys that have done nothing to deserve this? I would not have a problem if they were being killed for food, but this is ludicrous.

Raist

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Broonie

The scientists should perform these tests on themselves instead of hurting animals/primates.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I agree Death row inmates should be the ones in the driver seat.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Broonie
Just ridiculous! I don't see why the monkeys have to suffer! They say they won't be killed, they will probably be better off dead.

I agree. I had a friend who used to work at the Primate Center at UCDavis and she had to take care of some very sickly chimpanzees. Can you imagine how sick these will get? Loads of radiation leading to cancer, hair loss, slow death, and pain. How totally fair that we use primates to test out our space travel! Awesome!

And I agree with the death row inmates. I have one I'd like to recommend for the job.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The monkeys are only going to receive low doses of radiation, as typically experienced by astronauts. They're not going to blister, they're not going to lose their hair, they're not going to die.

Most of us appreciate that high doses of radiation have a negative effect on human health. But there's not many surveys been done which study the prolonged effect of low level radiation doses ... in fact some say that there's health benefits to low level doses, quite the opposite of what you might think.

My only concern with this study is that they might not have enough monkeys on which to experiment with ; NASA are only testing 18-28, which I doubt is a large enough number to gain reliable results.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
The monkeys are only going to receive low doses of radiation, as typically experienced by astronauts. They're not going to blister, they're not going to lose their hair, they're not going to die.

That may be the case; however, if the outcome is already known, then why conduct the test? I too doubt they will blister, but they will most certainly have adverse affects to repeated "low dosages". That's where I'm placing my money anyway.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

You're joking right? Animals are used and disposed of as need be. Even at low doses, if they are exposed 20 - 50 times for experimental purposes, they will have negative effects. I wouldn't stand with my face in front of a microwave 30 days straight. But it's OK to do it to animals.

My only concern with this study is that they might not have enough monkeys on which to experiment with ; NASA are only testing 18-28, which I doubt is a large enough number to gain reliable results.

Good, you're right. We need more animals. They're disposable after all.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

But that's the whole point of the experimentation. You assume that repeated, or prolonged, low level radiation doses automatically have a negative effect on health. But some believe in Hormesis, that low level exposure to radiation, toxins & stress may have a positive effect on health ... because as the body responds to repair any damage done, it not only cures itself of that which is causing the reaction but actually starts repairing other damage too.

The French Academy of Science has argued that radiation hormesis is observable in laboratory experiments, other prestigious organisations are still sitting on the fence.

I doubt the animals will suffer during these experiments, I'm sure those responsible for carrying them out will ensure the monkeys are treated well for the duration, that the tests won't bear any resemblance to your 30 days in a microwave analogy

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I've never heard of Radiation Hormesis before. Here is a Wiki link for anyone interested. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it looks like there have been limited studies done in this area. Definitely not enough for ME to have belief in it, but hey, that's what studies are for...on rats!

Radiation Hormesis

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I doubt the animals will suffer during these experiments, I'm sure those responsible for carrying them out will ensure the monkeys are treated well for the duration, that the tests won't bear any resemblance to your 30 days in a microwave analogy

It would be nice to think that, but that isn't the way animal testing works. Unfortunately, they aren't treated well. As a biochemist who has spent far too many hours doing unspeakable things to laboratory animals, I can honestly tell you that they are tortured. I had a friend in Med School who broke the backs of many rabbits just to put plates and bolts in them to learn the technique. The disgusting part? Once the rabbits awoke, they weren't given any pain meds and were kept alive to repeat the experiment. Totally disgusting.

Research animals are NOT respected as they should be. And I have no doubt that the monkeys will suffer. Sad, but true.

Edited for typo.

[edit on 29/10/09 by Morbo the Annihilator]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
humans are disgusting

A wise man once said: "You can tell alot about a society by how they treat animals".

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
A wise man once said: "You can tell alot about a society by how they treat animals".

Ghandi said that, didn't he?

Edit: Actually the quote I'm thinking of is "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi

So we're on the same page.

Edited to add Ghandi quote.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Morbo the Annihilator

That's probably what I was thinking about lol
I was going off the top of my head with that quote

thx

not to derail the thread, that's why i'm not embedding the video
but go to youtube and type KFC pamela anderson
very sad stuff

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I wonder how radiation has affected Sergei Krikalyov, to date he has over 803 days in space.

And there's Sergei Avdeyev, he has over 747 days.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I like the idea of using death row inmates. Lets use them.

At least I wouldnt feel as guilty about the inmates as the poor innocent monkeys!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
I like the idea of using death row inmates. Lets use them.

At least I wouldnt feel as guilty about the inmates as the poor innocent monkeys!

We can't just use inmates, that's "cruel and unusual punishment". BUT, they could ask for volunteers. I'm sure there are a number of D.R. inmates that wouldn't mind getting "fast tracked" to their death. At least then, they could say that they somehow contributed positively to society...in the name of science. AND...we would know the actual affects radiation would have on humans

I wonder, is it illegal for the government to even ask for volunteers?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
I wonder how radiation has affected Sergei Krikalyov, to date he has over 803 days in space.

And there's Sergei Avdeyev, he has over 747 days.

Edit since I thought they were the current space station cosmonauts.

But it does make me wonder why their long stints in space weren't enough to determine the effect of long term space radiation. Shouldn't their experiences have made this NASA testing pointless? Wouldn't it be a little redundant (and expensive?)

Oh, and Modern, I haven't eaten meat in almost 10 years. I know all about the KFC awfulness.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join